Golden Eagle Droppings 11/21/21

Old Titan

• OK, maybe NOW a little panic is understandable…
  • What is wrong/happening/different with Max?  Trying too hard?  Lost without KO?  Muscle-bound?  Sick?
  • Where were Herron, Bergens, and Lufile on Saturday?
  • Why the slow starts?
  • Why does an experienced player like DJ foul so much?
  • Why is Phipps playing so much?  Thirty minutes on Saturday. 
  • Why isn’t Carlos shooting more?  Two attempts on Saturday with his backcourt mate obviously struggling. Was he sick, too?
  • Is there a chance UCA might be decent?  Three losses were on the road vs. good-to-great competition.
  • Why do so many people use KenPom and Sagarin ratings this early in the year?  Aren’t they fairly subjective until more games are played?
  • Why do I have the feeling that ORU’s issues are fixable, but not in the short term?
  • Upvote 1

I agree OT. Things will get fixed but not as fast as we would like. Max is a winner and extremely hard worker so he will be fine. One of my sources said he has been over confident with all the success that has come his way and has needed a reality check. Mills seems to have a way of getting the team to play better as the season goes on.  Until then all of us fans need to figure out how to relieve stress! Not an easy task!

1 hour ago, eagle88 said:

One of my sources said he has been over confident with all the success that has come his way and has needed a reality check. 

This raises a ton of red flags!!! Whatever degree this is a problem, that fact that it is apparently being discussed outside the locker room is a problem!!! When your best player needs a "reality check" you have a team dynamic that may have serious problems. Teams have "stars" and that only becomes a problem when they start to think they are "the star' and begin to act differently then their teammates. Everyone on a team understands that the better players will be perceived differently by the outside- by fans or media attention that's expected , but if they start big timing their teammates or coaches you have real problems.

Is this why Max didn't play against Haskell? Is this why he sat so long at the end of the Colo St game and in the 2nd half against UCA? Is the midcourt Max merchandise a problem in the locker room? Does the team think he is only out for Max, not playing for the team just trying to improve his draft status? This much hype is a breeding ground for potential problems. 

On the court problems are one thing- they can be fixed. Off the court problems, particularly with your best player are something completely different and much more serious!!  

The team clearly isn't playing as well as it can so I hope whatever is going on gets resolved!!

Go Eagles!!

• Upvote 1

Whoa, whoa, WHOA - let’s be careful, people!

This is neither the time or place to start jumping to conclusions about locker room disharmony and “off the court problems” just because a high-scoring player had an off-shooting night. 

When I posed the question “What’s wrong with Max?”, it was fairly rhetorical. I kind of meant, “I wonder how this will play out?”

In hind site, I wish that was how I phrased it, because I sure never intended to throw grist into the rumor mill, particular on what is first and foremost a FAN forum intended to celebrate our team (and, I might remind everyone, is accessible by not only the public, but also those who would love nothing better than a juicy rumor along these lines for click bait on the inter-webs).

• Upvote 1

As far as Max goes, we heard all summer that he worked out with NBA scouts, put on muscle, and would overall be a faster, stronger player.  Instead, he looks like he took a step backwards instead of a step forwards.  Which is frustrating to say the least.  In both of the D1 games Coach Mills sits him for the most of the second half.  His offense is what makes Max elite and his scoring is just off.  Run some plays were Lacis hits him with the bounce pass for backdoor layups.  Seeing the ball in the hoop will build his confidence.

Just some thoughts on the questions: DJ fouls a lot because he is completely overmatched in the post.  Herron did not play on Saturday because ORU was behind on the road but coming back (pressure time). Seems like Coach Mills wants to put him in situations where he can succeed and slowly build his confidence.  Would expect more of Herron on Tuesday night.  

16 hours ago, Old Titan said:
  • Why is Phipps playing so much?  Thirty minutes on Saturday.

Agreed - I have not been overly impressed with his game, though he is a WORKER. He needs to stay on the perimeter more and stop trying to attack the basket. He does not have the athletic ability to elevate to get the ball over big post men. Great spot up shooter. Bad basket driver. 

16 hours ago, Old Titan said:
  • Why isn’t Carlos shooting more?  Two attempts on Saturday with his backcourt mate obviously struggling. Was he sick, too?

Carlos was definitely sick. In the pregame, Joslin said that Carlos got it from his roommate, Lacis, and it sounded like he wasn't going to play, though he ended up starting and playing over 20 minutes. Not sure when those "Health Minutes" are recorded because he only mentioned Lacis and Jurgens. I wouldn't be surprised if several of the players had come down with the virus after that recording, maybe even starting to feel unwell just that morning. Those little colds can scoot around a locker room very quickly. 

I was wondering if Max was feeling unwell as well and maybe that's what caused the struggle and significant benching in the second half. We've all tried to play basketball in the brain fog of a cold and know how unproductive that is. That's what makes the Flu Game so incredible. GOAT.

And for Max's struggles, let's all calm down just a bit. It's 3 games. The sky is not falling, but to be fair I am slightly concerned as well.

I was a bit upset this summer when I heard he was trying to drastically change his body to appeal to NBA scouts. 12 pounds of muscle is HUGE for a guy that size. Especially over 6 months. I don't know that he has a choice if he wants to play in the NBA, but massive changes like that can have massive changes on your performance. We may be in for some growing pains as he works to update his game. 

I wonder if Max has a hard time getting motivated for those games against no name opponents (NAIA teams or UCA).  From Max's view he was a couple of good games at the combine from being a first round draft pick.  By now he would be making millions, playing against the top NBA teams (Los Angeles, Boston, 76ers,etc), on national tv, and in front of 15-20,000 people.  Instead he is in Conway, Arkansas playing in front of 600 people.  That must be somewhat challenging for Max!

34 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I wonder if Max has a hard time getting motivated for those games against no name opponents (NAIA teams or UCA).  From Max's view he was a couple of good games at the combine from being a first round draft pick.  By now he would be making millions, playing against the top NBA teams (Los Angeles, Boston, 76ers,etc), on national tv, and in front of 15-20,000 people.  Instead he is in Conway, Arkansas playing in front of 600 people.  That must be somewhat challenging for Max!

The more-likely third scenario was riding the pine before 600 fans in the G-League or in Europe. 

Even at his peak last season, I had a hard time imagining Max playing in the NBA.  Just physically overmatched...but, an incredible college player nonetheless.

Yeah...Max isn't going to the NBA any time soon....he will be best served playing 4 years at ORU..working on his game and letting his body mature.....and we can sure use him...he's probably a bit under the weather....not worrying about Max in Mid November......let's see how we do vs. OSU and TU....then we can panic.....😎

Max had plenty of opportunities and was 0-15.  That is why he finally sat on the bench.  I don’t in any way suspect an attitude problem.  I think Max seems to have always had a good attitude on the court even from his very first game.  McBride heated up while Max was on the bench, so Mills stayed with the hot hand.  When Max came back in he started hitting some shots.  I think he will be fine but this team needs to figure out their roles soon.

Not to be sarcastic and I know that the Staff understands what they are/should be doing in these games against NAIA/DII teams, but I hope that they use tonight's game as a "classroom" to teach the players and/or experiment with different sets and situations.  In other words, use this game as a "teaching" moment to help work on getting this team's collective act together.  If they do that and we do not win big, I really do not care about the margin of victory as we are using this time to educate the team.  This to me is more important than another meaningless game against an NAIA/DII team where all we do is chuck 3's and really do not play any type of defense or get our younger bigs important real time in game experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ohio State ahead of Florida w/12 min to play...TheEagleman is in Applebee's and can't hear the sound...😬

Florida comes back to beat The Ohio State...hopefully the start of a losing holiday weekend for the Buckeyes athletic program....😎

• Upvote 2