ORU at Central Arkansas

ORUTerry

34 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

How did Max start the game 0-15?  Was not watching the first half but surely Max would not have another half like that again.

Honestly, I didn’t think the defense on Max was all that great. He simply missed a ton of shots that usually go in. He was bodied pretty hard a few times on his drives to the basket and the shots wouldn’t roll in. Additionally, his floaters once he reached the paint wouldn’t fall either.

Couple thoughts after watching the game today.

- we have discussed a lot of the ways that Obanor will be missed but his ability to rebound and go back up and score is severely lacking. Lacis and Weaver had some nice offensive rebounds but simply didn’t have the weight to power through and finish through contact. They either missed, had the shot blocked, or were forced to pass the ball out. Clover took one nice shot and made it and blocked a couple of shots, it was good to see.

-McBride single-handedly brought us back in the 2nd half. It was worth paying for the game to watch his second half heroics, it was beautiful.  He torched his defenders time and again off the dribble and drew multiple fouls. He hit a fall away 3 pointer off of a spin move that made the opposing crowd gasp. He is the 2nd option we need. 
- I got the sense that we were overlooking UCA and we paid dearly for it. I’m sure ok state is on everyone’s mind for next week but this is a team we should have beat by double digits.

- UCA had a nice freshman point guard who chose them over us. Not a great shooter but a big kid. 6 foot 3 and over 200 pounds. They posted max early and often and scored several points that way. The Dakota schools will be watching that and emulating it, you can bet on that.

-I don’t think the coaches will change anything but we need to play bigger. OSU will score at Will if we try playing Kareem at the 4. I would love to see Lacis and weaver getting time at the 3 with clover, Eli, and Herron at the 5. We simply cannot rebound well enough for that lineup to be sustainable.

-couple positives things. The guys had to figure out what to do when Max has an off night. They turned on the intensity in the 2nd half and fought back into it. Someone else stepped up (McBride and Phelps) to help us get back in it. Jurgens played through a virus and spearheaded the defense in the 2nd half. I love the heart he showed.  There are better days ahead.

• Upvote 1

Against OSU:

1. Need Lufile/Clover/Plet at the 5

2. Need Weaver/Herron at the 4

3. Need Juergens/Lacis at the 3

4. Need Abmas/McBride in the game each 35+ minutes and spelled by Phipps

Must have some beef in the game at all times and when 3s aren’t falling then drive to the rim.

Mad Max needs to worry less about selling T-Shirts and worry more about his shot....😬

Hoping Max and others were just ill....that would be a reasonable explanation for tonight's debacle...🤨

That must have made UCA's season to now say that they beat the former Sweet 16 ORU Golden Eagles.  ORU is learning what it is like to be the hunted.  

I didn't get to watch the game, just listened to Adam's call - so it's hard for me to make any judgements on our play. All I can say is that I am very disappointed, though not overly surprised. 

1) Adam seemed to act like we were getting plenty of good looks, they just weren't falling. Sometimes it's just not your day.

2) Why did Nate Clover play over Sir Isaac? From what I've seen of the two, Sir Isaac is well ahead of where Nate is at. Weird. 

3) We're going to come into our game against OSU on Friday with 0 D1 wins. Both of our losses were blowouts (at one point at least). That one could get nasty quickly. 

4) Are we going to lose to TU? At this point, our chances have got to be under 10%. I can't handle another year of losing to those whiners. I thought it might finally be the year to end the drought. Ouch. 

13 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Against OSU:

1. Need Lufile/Clover/Plet at the 5

Must have some beef in the game at all times and when 3s aren’t falling then drive to the rim.

Thanks ORUJason, your stating clearly the point I've been trying to make in a convoluted way. Coach Mills system was so effective and successful because of KO, he could make the 3 and add "some beef" which is a big body for inside D and rebounding. The reason we are struggling so much this year with our bigs is we either have to play the thin bigs like Weaver and Lacis who are supposed to be 3 point shoots which is what Coach Mills system is based on- which is court spacing with 3 point shoots at every position (which worked perfectly with KO), but they are poor rebounders. If we play our true bigs-  Lufile/Clover/Plet at the 5 they are better rebounders, but cannot shoot the 3 at all which isn't a fit in coach Mills offensive system.

Our problem is we don't have the hybrid guy we used to that was a big body, could shoot and rebound (KO). So the offensive system that worked so well with the right personnel is not clicking like it had before.  

What I'm talking about when I say we need to "adjust" based on our personnel is we need to either adjust our line up(play our true bigs) or our style of play(shoot less 3's, get to the basket, more movement in the offense vs just spacing when we had better shooters) or both based on the players we have now! 

Go Eagles!! 

ORU went on a big run when Max was on the bench, 28-8 or something like that.  That is puzzling?  Are the Eagles that much better when Max is on the bench? Accept for a three minute run at the end of the first half in the SW Christian game, where he scored like 12 points, Max has been very quite.  Does he feel the pressure to be an All-American or make the NBA draft?  Did the extra weight/muscle put on in the offseason really throw his shot off?  Have other defenses just figured out how to shut him down?  Will be interesting to see if Max can bounce back and play like an all-star.

I didn’t watch or listen to the game. Falling behind by 17 during the first half and battling back to make the game close is a positive. Looks like we couldn’t buy a basket. I assume some of these shots were open. Thankfully McBride kept us in the ballgame. 

Here are the shooting stats for our ‘regulars’:

Thompson: 4/11 & 0/4 from 3pt

Abmas: 3/18 & 2/10 from 3pt

Lacis: 0/4 & 0/1 from 3pt

Phipps: 3/10 & 2/6 from 3pt

Weaver: 2/3 and 0/0 from 3pt

Jurgens: 2/3 and 1/2 from 3pt

If a couple of these guys make a few more buckets (like we know they are capable), the game turns the other way.

Obvious question: why didn’t Jurgens and Weaver take more shots?

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Lacis: 0/4 & 0/1 from 3pt

Weaver: 2/3 and 0/0 from 3pt

Jurgens: 2/3 and 1/2 from 3pt

Lacis - Incredible player. He is the glue guy that every team needs to be successful. Terrific guy too. BUT HE SHOULD NEVER SHOOT A 3 AGAIN. It is a win for the defense when he puts up a 3. You can see the opposing coach smiling every time he puts one up. He finished at 25% from three last year, and is shooting at the same rate this year. Not worth it when you have such incredible shooters around you. Last year we had 5 guys in the regular rotation shooting over 35%. No need for a poor shooter to "keep the defense honest" - they're already as honest as they can get!

Weaver - too much time in the paint. Not his game. Allow him to play the 4 so he can be on the perimeter more. 

Jurgens - Sick. But also his game just naturally defers to the scorers around him. I've never seen him appear to be scared to shoot, but his instinct is to defer.  I agree - would love to see him attack more.

Carlos went from being a role player the last two years, who only shot the ball when he was wide open.  Now he is basically the 2nd or 3rd option on the court.  So it might take him awhile to get use to being a scoring option.

UCA loses by 27 in their next game to New Orleans on the road.  A 1-3 New Orleans to boot.  Teams play a lot different at home then away.

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

UCA loses by 27 in their next game to New Orleans on the road.  A 1-3 New Orleans to boot.  Teams play a lot different at home then away.

welp........ yikes

• 7 months later...
On 11/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, eagle88 said:

This is a tough pill to swallow.  At this rate Max may have to return for his senior year. 

This aged well😂

Maybe Max is back for his senior year to beat UCA?

Lol! I had forgotten i'd said that. In the unlikely event UCA beats us again this year Max may have to apply for a hardship year of some kind!

• Haha 3