ORU vs. Haskell

theeagleman5

I agree with what ORU40 posted above.  In reality we got hammered at Colorado State and last night was way less than impressive.  Sure we won big and maybe the coaching staff was doing what OT posted above, but from what I have seen so far this season I am less than impressed to say the least.  I also agree with ORU40's assessment of our OOC schedule.  If we truly expect to take the program to the next level then in the next few years we need to ween ourselves off of the NAIA diet and schedule up.  BTW, I do not believe that jacking up 3's and not really playing either offense or defense helps the team. 

I agree that last night was tough, sloppy basketball. Not fun to watch, especially against a lower quality opponent. I do think that it will prove to be beneficial, particularly in the film room. All kinds of silly mistakes that our guys were making (particularly the bigs) that can be used as teaching points. Max got his rest, Sir Isaac got his minutes. 

I'm 100% on board with getting the NAIA games off the schedule, but I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon. Mills likes them, and realistically we probably can't afford much better. We're not Gonzaga just yet. 

One element of Max sitting last night is that his predictably-lower minutes, resulting in a lower scoring total, would drag his season average down. 

By not playing at all, his total games will be limited to just the ones where he plays more minutes and scores something near his usual output, resulting in a higher average.

According to Coach Mills, playing NAIA schools has a similar affect on ORU's strength-of-schedule:  since NAIA schools don't count as a game in the NET rankings from the NCAA, they don't hurt SOS in the way playing a Quad 4 opponent would.  And Quad 4's are probably the only schools ORU can get to visit, no matter what the guarantee offer is.

It's far-fetched that ANY guarantee would entice a Quad 2 or 1 team to visit the Mabee Center for a game right now.  The bad look from losing to "an Oral Roberts" is simply more than most coaches at those schools are willing to risk, for any amount of money.

On 11/17/2021 at 12:15 PM, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman sets the line at ORU -51.5 in this Mabee Center contest tomorrow night....O/U for attendance is 1499.....

On 11/17/2021 at 12:21 PM, Old Titan said:

I'll take the over on the attendance.  The students are going to carry me to victory!

Screenshot 2021-11-19 140050.jpg

richard reid winner GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia

3112?......TheEagleman would like a recount.....😮

8 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

3112?......TheEagleman would like a recount.....😮

A recount??  What do you think this is - Georgia? 😎

I was actually rooting for Haskell last night. 🙂 Those guys were really trying hard. They had some pretty nice 3-point shooters. They did not appear to be intimidated. What I did not want to see was a huge blow-out win where we crushed the other team and completely demoralized them. ORU has been on the receiving end of some games where the score was lopsided (and not in our favor), and I hate to see other teams lose to us by 50 or more points. It's not a true test for us, and I'm not sure how many "pointers" the losing team picks up. 

Ultimately, of course, I want us to win every game. 

• Upvote 1

OT it was nice talking with you at the game last night! I think you are spot on about ORU being able to schedule better opponents at home. In talking with one of the Assistant Coaches schools are steering clear of us for the reasons you mentioned.  Even TCU tried to get out of their game with us this year . We will make $150k and they did everything they could to get out of it but since there was a contract we didn't let them out of it. So from other schools perspective we are a dangerous opponent. If they beat us they don't gain too much and if they lose( which they are worried about) they get hurt. We are going through growing pains which is not all that fun. Just to clarify I have heard our Coaches definitely want to schedule better home games. Hopefully we will grow through this phase and be able to do so.

• Upvote 1

I think that we are making a bit less than that, but TCU offered to pay us not to play the game…

Not sure what you guys are basing your info on but I heard that $ figure from our AD. So if it is wrong I don't know who else to go to.

28 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

OT it was nice talking with you at the game last night! I think you are spot on about ORU being able to schedule better opponents at home. In talking with one of the Assistant Coaches schools are steering clear of us for the reasons you mentioned.  Even TCU tried to get out of their game with us this year . We will make $150k and they did everything they could to get out of it but since there was a contract we didn't let them out of it. So from other schools perspective we are a dangerous opponent. If they beat us they don't gain too much and if they lose( which they are worried about) they get hurt. We are going through growing pains which is not all that fun. Just to clarify I have heard our Coaches definitely want to schedule better home games. Hopefully we will grow through this phase and be able to do so.

Right back atcha, eagle88 - fun time, and thank you VERY much for the proverbial nudge-in-the-ribs about the "neighbors" in your section before I went off on one of my patented diatribes! 🤐

18 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

What I AM worried about is the complete lack of sports marketing and entertainment that is happening during the game. Total lack of effort. Very disappointing.

I have it from the HIGHEST authority on the subject that the lack so far of promo items being thrown into the stands is directly linked to sponsors only wanting to make that expenditure for the higher-attendance games.

No doubt (and this is my observation) they were mortified during the last couple of seasons by seeing their $1.50/each mini basketballs piling up untouched in row-upon-empty-row, aside from a gang of 10-year-old boys running up and down the aisles with a dozen or so stuffed in the pouch of their hoodies. 💰💰💰

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I have it from the HIGHEST authority on the subject that the lack so far of promo items being thrown into the stands is directly linked to sponsors only wanting to make that expenditure for the higher-attendance games.

No doubt (and this is my observation) they were mortified during the last couple of seasons by seeing their $1.50/each mini basketballs piling up untouched in row-upon-empty-row, aside from a gang of 10-year-old boys running up and down the aisles with a dozen or so stuffed in the pouch of their hoodies. 💰💰💰

Completely reasonable and can't fault anybody for that. It's hard to sell sponsors on a game against an NAIA opponent when you look at our attendance numbers over the last couple of years.

My gripe is that there are no kiss cams, dance contests, musical chairs, etc. Nothing to keep fans engaged while there is a break in the action. For example, last night the cheerleaders were introduced with no routine to perform (awkward), the pep band was announced as media timeout entertainment (what?), and the majority of the overtime was left completely bare of any activity with music coming over the speakers. Even I was bored. 

It seems like the new "host" is on his own and does not have the sports marketing students to help him like we have in the past. 

What's a reasonable attendance expectation for OSU and TU in the next 10 days???....:circle-logoi:

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

What's a reasonable attendance expectation for OSU and TU in the next 10 days???....

I'd be content with 5,500 for the OSU game and 4,500 for the TU game. Very conservative estimates. 

13 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

What's a reasonable attendance expectation for OSU and TU in the next 10 days???....:circle-logoi:

Not great game times:  OSU in the middle of the day on Black Friday; minimal students around.  Local OSU fans should turn out regardless, to show support for Mike Bolton and a great line-up.  Fun time to be a Cowboy fan, with their football team flying so high.  Estimate:  5900 or so.

TU is on the following Monday night, traditionally not a great night for turnouts, plus so many of their fans are either so old or so obnoxious, they refuse "to travel all the way out there to that @%*!# Mabee Center", especially when they're afraid they might lose.  ORU students should be back en masse; that should be a fun.  Estimate:  a disappointing 4500, but LOUD from down near the band!

3 hours ago, eagle88 said:

Not sure what you guys are basing your info on but I heard that $ figure from our AD. So if it is wrong I don't know who else to go to.

You’re correct. I must have gotten the figures mixed up. I did hear that TCU offered to pay us not to play in Ft. Worth.