ORU vs. Haskell

theeagleman5

TheEagleman sets the line at ORU -51.5 in this Mabee Center contest tomorrow night....it's only THAT low because expecting massive substitutions by Coach Mills....also got some inside info that David Barton will be in uniform since apparently he still has eligibility remaining from the 70s (inside joke for the old timers).....O/U for attendance is 1499.....:circle-logoi:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman sets the line at ORU -51.5 in this Mabee Center contest tomorrow night.....O/U for attendance is 1499.

I'll take the over on the attendance.  The students are going to carry me to victory!

As much as we would all like to see our beloved Eagles play tomorrow night against  a decent D! opponent I am thankful we did not have a 52 point loss on the road. I like the fact that our new guys can gain some experience and confidence against a team like Haskell. I think the success of our season  hinges on how well players like Sir Isaac, Eli Lufile, Nate Clover, Isaac McBride DJ Weaver develop and learn to be highly skilled in their role. So tomorrow night gives our guys another chance to gain some experience before we paly a D1 team on Saturday. Eagles 111- 52.

• Upvote 1

ORU 127   Haskell 13.....😬:shield-logo: 😮

Haskell is coming off a 42 point loss to Missouri Baptist.  So the best thing that could come from tomorrow's game is that no one get hurt/injuried.

• Upvote 1

Haskell Indians coming in with a 2-5 record....victories over Baptist Bible and Bacone.....let's hope the Good Guys are not overlooking this opponent.....GO BLUE!!....:circle-logoi:

That first half was painful to watch, Max needs to start in the second half or ORU may lose.  Coach Mills will give the Eagles a wake up call at halftime.

Not a good night to have brought friends and family to the game… 50% Ft 29% and 20% fg and 3pt, 10 TO, first half Yuck. 

good to see Herron get some run. Gonna need him to develop quickly…

That 2-3 zone Haskell threw out ORU really seemed to cause the Eagles a lot of problems.  Phipps finally came in and broke it open in the second half.  Of course if Max had played, I doubt a zone defense would have worked.  ORU sets a school record with 62 rebounds.

Unfortunately, at this point we need a reality check. We aren't very good! I understand we didn't have Max and a couple other guys, but tonight's game was a 5 alarm wake up call (just in case the Colo St. rout wasn't).  We are not as good as we were without KO and need to adjust to our current personal.

First and for most, we are not a good shooting team that keeps shooting 3's. Max is our best shooter, he's shooting 28% from 3 and it doesn't get better from there. We are not going to rebound missed 3's and get stick backs against real teams like we did tonight. OSU, TU, TCU, SDSU & SDSU will beat us badly if we continue to play like we have! Playing these NAIA teams is only hurting us, all it does is exacerbate bad habits!! We are not running our offense, we are jacking up bad 3's that we can rebound and stick back that wont happen against against real teams. We are getting lazy on D as these teams just turn the ball over, good teams wont! But we aren't getting down and playing tough D, we are just waiting for these terrible NAIA reams to turn it over, overplaying for the steal and leaking out for the break and that will be completely exploited by good D1 teams. Our bigs are in for a huge wake up call!!! Our post D is horrible as is our boxing out.

The problem with these games against NAIA teams is bad habits. Our guys get away with bad play no matter what the coach's say because we are winning big, "how can what I'm doing be wrong if were winning huge'?? Phipps is just jacking up 3's every time he touch's the ball, from what I've seen of his overall game he shouldn't be part of the rotation against good teams. Herron will eventually be a player, but will get a big wake up call against OSU!!

We'll continue to blow out these NAIA teams, but we are getting absolutely no benefit from these games! We are not improving at all. We are struggling against Haskell and OSU is winning at NC State! 

I know I've been a broken record in my complete disagreement with our schedule, D1 teams don't need "confidence" they need challenges and exposure to real competition, these games are not helping us at all. If you want to be a big time program, play big time teams!!

We will see how good we really are in the OSU, TU, TSU streak of our schedule, but right now we need to make some adjustments! 

Go Eagles!

• Like 3

That was tough. Bad defense, bad offense, bad everything. Honestly, not worried about it. It will work itself out. Almost impossible to gain any real information from these types of games. 

What I AM worried about is the complete lack of sports marketing and entertainment that is happening during the game. Total lack of effort. Very disappointing.

Calm Down Tracy Morgan GIF

The entire team was simply ”off” tonight; and that fact is actually a good sign.

It means something was different about the entire team’s preparation.

Maybe they practiced today and were gassed; maybe they didn’t practice and were rusty.  Maybe we were running stuff tonight that won’t be ever run again, so our upcoming opponents won’t have a decent scouting report.

I can think of a half dozen other reasons why ORU was out of sync tonight, and not a one of them matters in the big picture. 

As we love to quote from ORUTerry, things are never quite as great as they seem, or as bad. 

Haven’t we seen every one of these guys play better before?  Do you really think they’ve just suddenly forgotten how to play?

The second half was just fine; ORU held their feisty opponents to under 20 points and almost doubled the final score. They set a school record with 62 rebounds.  They played without 3 regulars (Abmas and Lacis were a “coach’s decision”, McBride is dealing with what I’m told is “a family matter” and may be able to join the team in Conway for the game there that afternoon.)

In the meantime, weren’t we sounding something like this one year ago after getting curb-stomped at Missouri and looking similarly sluggish vs. non-D1 competition?

Breathe, everybody - just breathe… 😘

TheEagleman can only imagine how painful that was to watch....worse than expected since Coach Mills didn't play Max and a couple others....hopefully a better effort at Central Arkansas on Saturday afternoon...the Bears have lost all 3 of their games by 30+....if ORU struggles over there we ARE in big trouble.....:tb-blue:

This was basically a pick up game.  Any other year and everyone would be fine with the outcome.  Expectations are just sky high after Sweet 16 run and returning 5 out of your top 6 guys.  Long season but long way to go for the Golden Eagles.

We started slow last year too. For 3/4 of the season I came home so frustrated that we could score tons of points but couldn't play defense.  It was only at the end of the season that we figured it out. We will have some ups and downs so let's remember it's not how you start its how you finish. This year's team will be much more seasoned and mature later in the year. 

On 11/17/2021 at 12:47 PM, EagleManiac said:

#don'tplayMax

#startSirIsaac

They need me on this coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1