In-Season Polls and Rankings

Old Titan

ORU up a notch to No. 19 this week in this Sagarin ratings poll of traditionally one-bid leagues.  SDSU holding steady at No. 3:

21 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

ORU up a notch to No. 19 this week in this Sagarin ratings poll of traditionally one-bid leagues.  SDSU holding steady at No. 3:

Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but is there any chance SDSU would earn an at-large bid if they did not win the summit tourney? They're up to 74 in the NET, and if they win out in the regular season (or drop 1 Summit game) and lose a close one in the conference tourney, I'd imagine they'd be very close. 

4 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but is there any chance SDSU would earn an at-large bid if they did not win the summit tourney? They're up to 74 in the NET, and if they win out in the regular season (or drop 1 Summit game) and lose a close one in the conference tourney, I'd imagine they'd be very close. 

I don't see any chance of that, the Summit is a 1 bid only league. The reality is that the  NCAA tourney selection committee would take a 500 team from a power 5 conference any day of the week before 2 Summit teams got in! 

33 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I don't see any chance of that, the Summit is a 1 bid only league. The reality is that the  NCAA tourney selection committee would take a 500 team from a power 5 conference any day of the week before 2 Summit teams got in! 

college gameday sport GIF

In 2011-12, ORU went 26-5 in the regular season and was the No. 1 seed in Sioux Falls with a 17-1 league record, but was upset in the semi's by No. 4 Western Illinois. 

South Dakota State, the No. 2 seed with a 15-3 league mark, beat the Leathernecks in the finals and earned the NCAA bid with a 27-7 overall record.

No one thought ORU would get a sniff for an at-large bid that year either, but when the dust settled on Selection Sunday, ORU was the second of four teams listed in the "Last Four Teams Out" graphic.

Now granted, the Summit League was rated higher among all conference that year than so far this season, but think of this:  if SDSU runs the table in the regular season as they are favored to do, but loses in the Summit League finals, the Jacks would no doubt be "among those being discussed" on the big board in the Indianapolis Marriott conference room on Selection Sunday with a 29-5 record  (particularly if that finals loss is to a No. 2 seed ORU with their Sweet Sixteen street cred and a conceivable 24-8 record themselves).

I wonder how many 29-win teams (who also went undefeated in regular season conference play) have ever been left out of an NCAA tournament?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I agree with you, 40.  It's a real long shot. But if any Summit team was going to put pressure on the committee, it's this year's SDSU team. As OT outlined above, I don't think it's completely out of the question. One thing that SDSU has going for them that the 2012 ORU team did not is their relatively large fan base. It's hard to keep out a .500 P5 team with large numbers of fans that would travel to the game and watch on TV, while putting lil' ol' ORU in there. SDSU has a fan base that is much more competitive with a lot of these lower-tier P5 programs. 

Just fantasizing about a 2 bid Summit over here. Forgive me.

SDSU could have a nice record and resume to make the case for inclusion if they stumble in the Summit League tournament. It would be helpful (money/recognition) for the league to get two teams into the NCAA tourney.

That ORU squad also had some nice, quality wins against Mizzu and New Mexico. 

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

SDSU has a fan base that is much more competitive with a lot of these lower-tier P5 programs. 

That’s assuming they can clear enough snow from the driveway to get the Winnebago out of the barn. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

I agree with you, 40.  It's a real long shot. But if any Summit team was going to put pressure on the committee, it's this year's SDSU team. As OT outlined above, I don't think it's completely out of the question. One thing that SDSU has going for them that the 2012 ORU team did not is their relatively large fan base. It's hard to keep out a .500 P5 team with large numbers of fans that would travel to the game and watch on TV, while putting lil' ol' ORU in there. SDSU has a fan base that is much more competitive with a lot of these lower-tier P5 programs. 

Just fantasizing about a 2 bid Summit over here. Forgive me.

No problem Maniac, this may be that year!! I agree that of course its possible, but there's been so many years where a small school that  has a great year and losses the automatic bid and then there's a ton of speculation that the small league will get 2 bids, but it never happens. Only the conf. tourney champ goes and the Big Ten(or some other power 5 conference) get 8 teams in instead of the 7 that the bracket gurus thought they would get! 

I'd put it in the it's possible, but I'll have to actually see it happen before I put any real belief in it category! 

Sorry but ORU is #23??....Good Guys should be in the Top 10 if SDSU is #2......TheEagleman thinks we are getting a little hosed in that Mid Major Poll.....:shield-logo:

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Sorry but ORU is #23??....Good Guys should be in the Top 10 if SDSU is #2......TheEagleman thinks we are getting a little hosed in that Mid Major Poll.....

The problem is that we really don't have any good wins. OSU could've been a solid win we hung our hats on but that didn't work out. TU has become a total dumpster fire and is doing nothing for us. Until we beat a really good team (SDSU is the only remaining chance on the schedule that qualifies), it'll be hard to justify moving us up. 

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman sees your point....but do  Longwood, Norfolk St. and Jax. State have signature wins???  😕

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How can a decent team fall behind by 25 on their home floor vs. a middle of the pack Summit League Team???....TheEagleman rescinds his prior comments.....after last night's first half performance vs. Western Friggin' Illinois, ORU is not a Top 20 Mid Major Team.....😪.....PS....ORU Student Body IS a TOP 10 group....Outstanding performance last night!...👍

• 2 weeks later...

Get those tickets early for the #1 Jacks are coming to town on Feb. 24th....could perhaps be the largest crowd of the season at Mabee except for OSU.....:circle-logoi:

20 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Get those tickets early for the #1 Jacks are coming to town on Feb. 24th....could perhaps be the largest crowd of the season at Mabee except for OSU.....:circle-logoi:

TU crowd was pretty good too. If we can surpass that, would be a really really good showing. If our marketing group is able to beat that crowd, they deserve a nice bonus. 

SDSU not moving either in spite of a 23-4 record. My hope for their shot at an at-large bid (if they don't win the tourney) is fading.