In-Season Polls and Rankings

Old Titan

On 1/21/2022 at 8:10 PM, ORUalum said:

you might be on to something....

ORU attendance on Saturday vs NDSU - 4233

TU's Sunday attendance against a Memphis team that has been among the most talked about teams in the country - 3524

Maybe more of an indication of the current state of TU basketball, but I prefer to think that we are just a more appealing entertainment venue. Thankful that ORU basketball is drawing crowds like this again. These games are so much more fun with a full arena and hundreds of fans to join in booing sorry refs. Props to the ticket sales group for capitalizing on last year's success.

• Upvote 1

Based on this video, it sure looks like there was an awful lot of absent season ticket holders included in that attendance total for TU.

Also based on this video, it sure looks like there was an awful lot of time on the clock for TU to at least get a shot off... 🤪

16 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

TU's Sunday attendance against a Memphis team that has been among the most talked about teams in the country - 3524

Maybe more of an indication of the current state of TU basketball, but I prefer to think that we are just a more appealing entertainment venue. Thankful that ORU basketball is drawing crowds like this again. These games are so much more fun with a full arena and hundreds of fans to join in booing sorry refs. Props to the ticket sales group for capitalizing on last year's success.

The students have also more than held up their end of the bargain!! The student section has been fantastic!!! It's great to see!

Go Eagles!!

26 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

The students have also more than held up their end of the bargain!! The student section has been fantastic!!! It's great to see!

Go Eagles!!

I agree - it is wonderful to see the student section so engaged and excited at every game.  With the previous reports on this board that the Sweet Sixteen run fueled a significant increase in student applications and enrollment this year, it stands to reason that a larger percentage of the current student body is interested in supporting the basketball program than in previous years, especially in the freshman class.  If this is the case, we could see this level of excitement and support extend for a few more years. 👏  

59 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

4,233 people in the Mabee Center would mean that every single available seat in the lower bowl was full. 

If anyone believes that 4,233 was anywhere close to the actual attendance, I have a beautiful ocean front villa in Wichita for sale.

It was a good crowd on Saturday night and the student section was full and engaged.  Hopefully that type of support continues.

Also, the ending of the Tulsa vs Memphis game was brutal.  It was like none of the TU players wanted to shoot.  Bizarre.

In reference to the lack of quality officiating at the NDSU game on Saturday, it is possible on Griesel’s last shot that the ORU defender was trying to be careful not to draw a foul on what was a difficult rainbow arc type shot.  When at times the refs were calling phantom touch fouls, that can affect how a player might defend in an end of game situation like that.

10 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

In reference to the lack of quality officiating at the NDSU game on Saturday, it is possible on Griesel’s last shot that the ORU defender was trying to be careful not to draw a foul on what was a difficult rainbow arc type shot.  When at times the refs were calling phantom touch fouls, that can affect how a player might defend in an end of game situation like that.

I just wish he had been picked up defensively somewhere before he got inside the arc, but again, it's a one-point game and you want avoid him intetionally drawing contact off the dribble and getting to the line.  Carlos came over and challenged the shot late, but to no avail.  Would have been nice for that to have been Francis or DJ, but they hesitated.  Griesel is a tough assignment in the open court; it was a great shot on his part.

16 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

It was a good crowd on Saturday night and the student section was full and engaged.  Hopefully that type of support continues.

I've brought a number of friends to games this season who have commented on how much they enjoy the student section and the overall atmosphere, which is much better than in previous years.  

They're just all looking forward to when the t-shirt cannon and the mini-basketballs make their return; I'm assuming their absence is a COVID protocol thing?

13 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I just wish he had been picked up defensively somewhere before he got inside the arc, but again, it's a one-point game and you want avoid him intetionally drawing contact off the dribble and getting to the line.  Carlos came over and challenged the shot late, but to no avail.  Would have been nice for that to have been Francis or DJ, but they hesitated.  Griesel is a tough assignment in the open court; it was a great shot on his part.

I was about to write that Max should have stepped over to help, but the guy he is guarding is shooting 40.5% from 3 this year. Don't want to step too far off of that guy.

Just a heck of a play by Griesel. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2022 at 6:42 PM, Old Titan said:

Bingo.  That was the last straw for her after a couple of other run-ins.

I think that warrants a decade-long ban, don't you? 🙄

No doubt!

On 1/24/2022 at 3:19 PM, oruvoice said:

4,233 people in the Mabee Center would mean that every single available seat in the lower bowl was full. 

If anyone believes that 4,233 was anywhere close to the actual attendance, I have a beautiful ocean front villa in Wichita for sale.

I would think the lower bowl holds more than that, but I don’t know. Also, the lower bowl was pretty close to full (maybe 3/4ths?). It wouldn’t surprise me if there were close to 4000 there. The main thing is that it sounded like 10000 were there, especially when Max hit the go ahead 3. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Idig32 said:

I would think the lower bowl holds more than that, but I don’t know. Also, the lower bowl was pretty close to full (maybe 3/4ths?). It wouldn’t surprise me if there were close to 4000 there. The main thing is that it sounded like 10000 were there, especially when Max hit the go ahead 3. 

With the removal of seats for the band, media, and luxury suites, the actual lower level seat count is probably a touch under 4,000. 

That said, 2,500 involved fans inside Mabee Center makes for a great home court. I just never have seen the need to inflate the numbers. That said, most everyone does it.

Sorry that being honest about it has caused so much consternation. 

Despite going 2-0 on the road this past week, the strength-of-schedule hit from playing two lower-division teams drops ORU to No. 131 in the Massey Composite Rankings and No. 126 in the NCAA NET Rankings:

https://masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings