Summit league teams non conference

Keenan Henderson

Yes if we play up tempo with few turnovers and hit shots we will be hard to beat. A slow inside game favors TU. Max has not had the privilege of beating TU as his freshman year we lost and did not play last year so  I anticipate Max and the crew will be hungry for a W. Im glad we will have a few games under our belt before we play them.

TheEagleman watched some of that TU-Oregon St. game last night....very sloppy but give the Hurricane their due for gutting out a win.....and I also took notice of the empty arena.....sad state of college basketball in Tulsa....hopefully a few more than that will be at Mabee Center when we play on the 29th.....ORU can beat them....I wasn't very impressed....:tb-white:

NDSU falls to UNLV by two points late Monday night in Vegas; in a horrible bit of scheduling they face Arizona tonight in Tucson.

The Bison are playing without veteran starter Sam Greisel, who underwent emergency surgery for an undisclosed abdominal issue a few days ago, just before NDSU's game at Cal Poly.  Unclear when (or if) he might return to play, but he was spotted on the bench in street clothes for the UNLV game.

Good call OT, NDSU ran into bad scheduling and lost to Arizona tonight by 52!  They were a shell of themselves after back to back road games.

10 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Good call OT, NDSU ran into bad scheduling and lost to Arizona tonight by 52!  They were a shell of themselves after back to back road games.

A reminder of how challenging travel is and how hard these guys are playing. Without a day to allow the body to recover, they just didn't have any fight in them. 

Also makes you have a bit more respect for the NBA guys that are travelling all over the country and play back to backs on a regular basis, even back-to-back-to-backs every now and then. 

• Upvote 1

No doubt playing back to back games is tough. I also wonder how stopping Rocky Kreuser affected the game. NDSU seems to go through the big guy. I had a conversation this summer with Eli Lufile and he expressed how much he missed playing in the Summit League finals last year and being able to guard Kreuser. He felt he could have really slowed him down. It will be fun this year to see the 2 big guys go at it!

3 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

A reminder of how challenging travel is and how hard these guys are playing. Without a day to allow the body to recover, they just didn't have any fight in them. 

Also makes you have a bit more respect for the NBA guys that are travelling all over the country and play back to backs on a regular basis, even back-to-back-to-backs every now and then. 

In terms of travel days, NDSU almost seemed to treat these three locales on their West Coast swing like they were all in the same vicinity.

I can maybe understand the dates if you're playing all three games in the LA area, or something like UNLV/Southern Utah/and Nevada-Reno, but Cal Poly/UNLV/Arizona are several hundred miles apart from each other.

In contrast, St. Thomas played St. Francis (NY) in Brooklyn on Saturday, then only had to travel 19 miles to play Fordham in the Bronx on Monday.

Wonder if they took the subway?

Anyone watching Oklahoma State- NC State game tonight? Ok State is tall and athletic but not a great shooting team.  If we shoot well next Friday I think we have a good chance to beat them. 

15 hours ago, eagle88 said:

Anyone watching Oklahoma State- NC State game tonight? Ok State is tall and athletic but not a great shooting team.  If we shoot well next Friday I think we have a good chance to beat them. 

I watched it.  More than a little worried about the Cowboys length inside when they visit the Mabee Center.  The Boone twins and Texas Tech transfer Tyreek Smith may have a field day at the rim, offensively and defensively.

Also, watched South Dakota State dismantle Montana State in Brookings via ESPN+.  The Jacks are really good most of the time, but I still see a couple of weaknesses that ORU was able to exploit last March in Sioux Falls.  Here's hoping they don't correct them before this year's tournament... 😉

St. Thomas wins again.  They have already won two D1 games, which is very impressive.  All their losses have been close, less then seven points.  It makes one wonder how much difference is there between D1 and D3.  Guess not much

St. Thomas was completely dominating their D-3 conference.  That is why they moved up.  Basically their conference kicked them out.

• 3 weeks later...

HUGE upset tonight, as SDSU loses 98-84 on the road at 1-7 Idaho (#352 in KenPom).  The Jackrabbits looked very average (at best), and Noah Freidel may have had the worst night of his career, shooting 5-23 from the field.  SDSU was a 22 point favorite going in, but allowed Idaho to shoot 54% from three, and trailed almost the entire game.  This was a shocker, much like ORU’s Central Arkansas debacle, and definitely proved that the Rabbits (while still Summit favorites) are very beatable.  

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

HUGE upset tonight, as SDSU loses 98-84 on the road at 1-8 Idaho (#352 in KenPom).  The Jackrabbits looked very average (at best), and Noah Freidel may have had the worst night of his career, shooting 5-23 from the field.  SDSU was a 22 point favorite going in, but allowed Idaho to shoot 54% from three, and trailed almost the entire game.  This was a shocker, much like ORU’s Central Arkansas debacle, and definitely proved that the Rabbits (while still Summit favorites) are very beatable.  

(….so here’s the dirty little secret on the Jackrabbits…..

….they’re not great on defense, and they’re careless with the ball….

….but, don’t tell anyone before ORU plays them…. 😉 ….)

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

(….so here’s the dirty little secret on the Jackrabbits…..

….they’re not great on defense, and they’re careless with the ball….

….but, don’t tell anyone before ORU plays them…. 😉 ….)

Good call guys.  Isn't that how ORU beat them last year 103-86 at the Mabee Center.  Just outshoot them in a track meet game.  Of course, they are also good at that style of play.  Looks like Idaho beat the Jackrabbits at their own game, just like a good Alabama team did too earlier in the season.

ORU can do that at the Mabee Center but on the road, that is another story.

That is a horrible loss for SDSU. On a side note Big Eli told me a while back that he was recruited by Idaho and he had zero desire to go there because they were so bad. It was funny seeing his facial expressions as he told me the story.

7 hours ago, eagle88 said:

That is a horrible loss for SDSU. On a side note Big Eli told me a while back that he was recruited by Idaho and he had zero desire to go there because they were so bad. It was funny seeing his facial expressions as he told me the story.

(12-8-21)   SDSU 84 @ Idaho 98

(11-27-21Idaho 73 @ NDSU 90

(11-17-21) Montana St. 74 @ SDSU 91

(12-7-21)   NDSU 49 @ Montana St. 68

3 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Hard to win on the road…

ORU finished last year 10-3 (after non-conference) away from the Mabee Center.  Whoever in the Summit Leage can win away on the road/neutral games will have a big year in 2022.  Hopefully Coach Mills can figure that out again this year.