Opening night: Colorado State

Keenan Henderson

Ha! I noticed that line as well. I assume it was the UALR scrimmage - but that is conjecture. Let’s hope we can replicate that against the Rams. 

Some keys to the game against Colorado State:

• Playing without Obanor creates a big hole on offense - and on the boards. We need players to step up and provide scoring and rebounding. I am assuming that it will take a group effort. 

• This squad needs to continue to make free throws. Remember that we led the nation last year - which included Obanor shooting close to 90%. These “free” shots are the difference in winning & losing several games. 

• We need to limit turnovers. This has been a strong suit for a couple of years and makes a difference in number of possessions… especially since we normally don’t cause a lot of turnovers. 

• We need to play smart and controlled. The Rams will have a large & loud crowd. Don’t force things… just take what they give us. I’m sure we will be well prepared and Max has already seen all kinds of defensive schemes. 

• Block out for rebounds and get back on defense. The Rams are well coached and will fast break us if we are lackadaisical. They are a good passing team like SDSU, so we have to guard the passing lanes and look for the back door cuts. 
  • Upvote 1

For those wondering about the radio option with Adam Hildebrand this season:  I just got a call from Kevin Ward, program director at The Sports Animal Tulsa, letting me know the following:

• At ORU's request, all ORU men's games will be broadcast on sister station ESPN 99.9 FM.  This provides ORU with a consistent radio home throughout the season, avoiding programming conflicts with (and subsequent bumps due to) OKC Thunder broadcasts on The Animal.
  • ESPN 99.9 FM is supposed to stream from the Sports Animal Tulsa website, but I can't get any of the logo hyperlnks to work there.  As in previous seasons, there should be a hyperlink for the radio broadcast from the ORU Athletics website (fingers crossed).
  • Unfortunately, ESPN 99.9 FM is not available via voice command on Google or Alexa devices.

Scott in Athletics told me that "all away games will have a free audio stream on the ORU Athletics app through ORUSN. Every home game will have the video stream available with full audio commentary."

I was also told that "every home game for ORU men’s and women’s basketball will be broadcast on the ORU Sports Network."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

For those wondering about the radio option with Adam Hildebrand this season:  I just got a call from Kevin Ward, program director at The Sports Animal Tulsa, letting me know the following:

• At ORU's request, all ORU men's games will be broadcast on sister station ESPN 99.9 FM.  This provides ORU with a consistent radio home throughout the season, avoiding programming conflicts with (and subsequent bumps due to) OKC Thunder broadcasts on The Animal.
  • ESPN 99.9 FM is supposed to stream from the Sports Animal Tulsa website, but I can't get any of the logo hyperlnks to work there.  As in previous seasons, there should be a hyperlink for the radio broadcast from the ORU Athletics website (fingers crossed).
  • Unfortunately, ESPN 99.9 FM is not available via voice command on Google or Alexa devices.

What about listening in the car?

6 minutes ago, ttowncount said:

What about listening in the car?

That's easy!  Tune to 99.9FM on your radio dial and listen to the dulcet tones of Adam Hildebrandt.

Are You Ready Mma GIF by BRAVE Combat Federation

Who is excited about tonight?  Ready to rumble! Heading to the game, give an update at halftime.

What an entertaining first half! 

Love our rebouding. Need to make some adjustments on doubling the post if they keep giving up that wide open three. 

Doug Gottlieb is my new favorite commentator. Love to hear him break down plays and the nuances of player movement. 

Also, how does the other commentator not know how to pronounce the nation's leading scorers last name lol! 😂

Max is going off! We need him to hit some 3's in the 2nd half. If Colorado States 2 starters don't return 2nd half watch out! We need to play some better D. This year's team will be fun to watch 

Colorado St has some tough guards. A lot of fun to watch. 

Not how you want to start the season for ORU, but CSU is really good. 

Biggest problem: We need a big that can consistently hit the pick and pop now that KO is gone. 

Clearly missing KO and also where is the defense.  Tough first matchup but will learn a lot from this game.

So is Coach Mills smart for keeping Max out of a game that we have no chance of winning, or is he showing a lack of competitiveness by clearly not trying to win?

I had hoped we were further along than we are. This year's team has not bought into a defensive mindset like they did last season later in the year. I wonder why Sir Isaac did not play more as he looked good  for the short time that he played. We definitely felt some growing pains tonight but I believe this team has a lot of upside and will get much better. Colorado State is an excellent team and will be be hard to beat.

I was going to post that it's really hard to win a game giving up 50 points in a half.

Amend that statement to read it's dang near impossible if you give up 59.

Was hopeful the defensive lessons learned last March would carryover into this year.

Not tonight...props to CSU, they are a Big XII-looking team; hope they win every game.

Lots to work on in the walk-over games between now and the big Thanksgiving weekend of OSU and TU in the Mabee Center.

• Like 2

It's only one game and Colorado St. is very good team.

Have to find a way to stay competitive when outside shots aren't falling or this is going to be a LONG season.