Opening night: Colorado State

Keenan Henderson

Nothing but love for K Mart here. We were in a tough spot when he left us. Can't blame him. 

• Upvote 2

Martin just one of several talented Scott Sutton signees who bolted (or were exiled) before their time:  DaQuan Jeffries, Korey Billbury, Chris Miller, Sylvester Spicer, Steven Roundtree, Marchello Vealy, etc.

15 minutes ago, darrenj said:

I wonder how many teams will try the Arkansas defense in the 2nd of the game last year. They basically jumped Max with 2 guys at halfcourt to get the ball out of his hands and left someone wide open on most possessions. Now someone has to make a shot in the corner or a big needs to make a layup. ORU does have a nice group of shooters on the team this year. 

I think we'll see a lot of that Arkansas D, double Max early, even before a pick can be set for him, force the ball out of his hands. The teams with good athletes will stay man on the other players, my guess is the teams with less talent will basically play a triangle and 2 (which is 2 guys on Max and 3 in a triangle in the lane in what is basically a 3 man zone- which takes away the big dive to the basket, but does allow the others to get 3's up)  

This D will force someone other then Max to beat them, the 3rd & 4th options will get a lot of shoots. If your an opposing coach, you will run any D you think will stop Max from scoring. If the other guys hit their shots and you lose, then you've done what is statistically your best option, but you didn't let our best player do what he wants and beat you.  An opposing coach can go on his radio show and say we held Max to 10 points and lost because the other guys made shots and beat us and not get roasted. If he goes on his radio show and Max scored 40 and you lost, it doesn't look like he did his job!  

Coach Mills obviously knows this is coming, we will see gimmick D's all year trying to stop Max and we do have several other good shooters. Hopefully, Max won't get too frustrated and the other guys will stay patient and have good shot selection. Those gimmick D's are just that, gimmicks. I'm confident coach Mills will have the counters(which there are several since when you double one player, someone else somewhere is open!) to exploit the weakness's.

We are too well coached; have too many smart, mentally tough, confident, veteran players for these gimmick D's to work. In other words, bring on whatever crap you want to try, we're ready for it!

Go Eagles! 

It helps that Max has shown a propensity for making good decisions out of those double-team attempts; he saw a lot of that stuff late in the regular season and during the conference tournament, and he still scored 25+ a game.

• Upvote 1

Since the game is close to Denver, I wonder if there will be any NBA scouts to watch Max?  Maybe the Nuggets or Jazz?  It is an important game for Max since ORU does not have a lot of big name teams on the schedule, besides OSU or TCU.

It's a shame that this game is not on TV.  Coach Mills said at the Courtside Countdown that someone from ESPN called him and told him that, in their opinion, ORU/Colorado State was second only to Kentucky/Duke for opening night "games of interest".  Mills said something like "he could guarantee that our game was MUCH more interesting than Duke/Kentucky".

Has anyone figured out a streaming avenue for this game through the CSU website?

43 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

It's a shame that this game is not on TV.  Coach Mills said at the Courtside Countdown that someone from ESPN called him and told him that, in their opinion, ORU/Colorado State was second only to Kentucky/Duke for opening night "games of interest".  Mills said something like "he could guarantee that our game was MUCH more interesting than Duke/Kentucky".

Has anyone figured out a streaming avenue for this game through the CSU website?

According to the CSU Athletics site the game should be broadcast on Stadium but I don't see it listed there.

15 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

According to the CSU Athletics site the game should be broadcast on Stadium but I don't see it listed there.

Yeah, I saw that too, but it does not seem to be valid, at least not at this point.  I'm going to make a couple of phone calls on Monday to find out.

Would be great to have it streaming on the scoreboard at the New Mabee Center for fans and students alike, no?  So much interest in the program right now!

50 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Would be great to have it streaming on the scoreboard at the New Mabee Center for fans and students alike, no?  So much interest in the program right now!

I would be in attendance if that happened!

Is there a radio broadcast? I don't see it listed on the schedule. Just live stats.

4 hours ago, dave said:

Is there a radio broadcast? I don't see it listed on the schedule. Just live stats.

ORU's flagship station again this season is KYAL-FM "The Sports Animal" 97.1 FM. 

I heard an ad on The Animal Saturday morning touting Tuesday night's game being broadcast there, but it's a little disconcerting that there's nothing mentioned at all on their website re: any connnection to ORU:

https://sportsanimalradio.com/

• Upvote 1

Maybe today or tomorrow, we will find out what ORU's starting lineup is for the CSU game.  They could go small ball with the five returning players (Max, Jurgens, Thompson, Weaver, and Lacis) or start the freshman Sir Isaac.  Will McBride be inserted into the lineup to give the Eagles more scoring punch?  

35 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Maybe today or tomorrow, we will find out what ORU's starting lineup is for the CSU game.  They could go small ball with the five returning players (Max, Jurgens, Thompson, Weaver, and Lacis) or start the freshman Sir Isaac.  Will McBride be inserted into the lineup to give the Eagles more scoring punch?  

Anything other than Abmas, Jurgens, Thompson, Lacis and Weaver would be a complete surprise.

From what I've heard on this board, it will be hard to keep Mcbride out of the starting lineup.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, Old Titan said:

And there will already be a crowd for the women’s home game against UNLV at 7. 

You gotta go see Katie Scott play. 

I spoke with CSU’s Isaiah Stevens on Friday about his history with Max Abmas.  If you’re interested, you can see what he said on my blog at this link:

https://crackerscollegehoops.wordpress.com/2021/11/08/monday-morning-cup-of-coffee-csu-hoops-opener-edition/

Edited by Dr. Cornelius
Fixed link to blog
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

From what I've heard on this board, it will be hard to keep Mcbride out of the starting lineup.

Any other year, Issac would be the starting point guard.  But, he's playing behind a consensus All-American, with a similar skill set.

There will be opportunities against some opponents to play Issac and Max at the same time, but against the Power 5's and the XDSU's with their bigger guards, he may not see as much playing time, unless Max is being effectively double-teamed and/or is in foul trouble.  Carlos and Kareem's length will be needed in those situations at the 2 and 3 spots.

Unless, of course, Issac and Max simply tear it up on the offensive end when they play together.  In that case, the only question will be whether ORU is giving up too much on defense with two diminutive guards trying to defend the perimeter, not getting posted up inside, and not being driven on/over to the basket, amounting to simply swapping baskets with the opponent.

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I spoke with CSU’s Isaiah Stevens on Friday about his history with Max Abmas.  If you’re interested, you can see what he said on my blog at this link:

https://crackerscollegehoops.wordpress.com/2021/11/08/monday-morning-cup-of-coffee-csu-hoops-opener-edition/

That will be an interesting matchup between the two.  Both are very high-quality players that for the most part run their teams.  Max needs to win that matchup for ORU to have any chance.  We have to win the backcourt matchup because the Rams can take advantage of the Eagles frontcourt.

Looking at CSU's opening win shows that they had three bigs that scored in double figures.  That is concerning because they might try and play bully ball on Tuesday night.  We may not know for 5-10 games who is going to be the center/5 for ORU this year.

• Like 1