Mabee Madness - Nov. 1st

ORUTerry

I attended the Courtside Countdown last night and thought I would try to share some thoughts:

• Seemed like a big crowd. Someone said it was the largest in the history of the event. Between the attendees, sponsorships and auction proceeds, I suspect that the fundraising tally was high. 
  • Lots of information about the new Mike Carter Athletic building; ground breaking will be on November 12th during Homecoming. 
  • They had a ‘Family Feud’ game between reps of the men’s & women’s BB teams.
  • Both Coach Coussens and Coach Mills gave a brief review of their teams and the upcoming season. Misti spoke about the impact of the men’s success on the athletic department and the nice student crowd at the exhibition game. She did not speak much about players or the season. Mills said he is excited about this season and thinks fans will enjoy this team.
  • Scott Higgins interviewed Coach Mills along with Abmas, Jurgens, Weaver, Lacis and Thompson. 

Mills was asked about high expectations for the upcoming season. He said that the team embraces that and wants to aim for success. Said “who wants low expectations?” He was also asked about his intake of Starbucks coffee during the NCAA tournament. Said he probably averaged four  a day (morning, mid morning, mid afternoon and evening)  

Abmas was asked if there were any ‘crazy’ questions during the NCAA.  He said he can’t remember any, but mostly the questions were repetitive. He was also also asked about the monicker “Mid-Court Max” and said he has gear coming out for sale in the near future.

Jurgens (“Los”) was asked his role as barber during the NCAA tournament. Said that he wanted his teammates to look good on national TV. Said Max did not let him cut his hair. Thompson interjected that he also did lot let Jurgens cut his hair. He was also asked about his breakout during the Summit League tournament and NCAA tournament. Said that he became more confident… especially since Coach expanded his playing time  

I know other members of this message board were there and can add other observations  

I cornered Coach Mills and his teenage daughter by the silent auction tables.  Introduced myself, then wildly covered 50 years worth of my connections to the program in 90 seconds flat.  Looked at his daughter and saw genuine terror in her eyes; glanced at her dad and saw the exact same expression.  Good time; good time... 🤪

• Haha 2

from  Forbes via the company's blog.....hope Max gets a decent cut for his line of products....pretty cool they can be branded w/ORU logos

Buddy Boeheim made history last week and he didn’t sink a single three-pointer, make a flashy pass or even work up a sweat doing it.

Boeheim, the 6-foot-6 senior guard at Syracuse and son of Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim, became the first college athlete in the new Name, Image and Likeness era to sell gear with his name and also have it licensed with the trademark of the university. Boeheim announced July 2 on Twitter that he had teamed up with The Players Trunk “to bring you my official BUDDY BUCKETS merchandise,” including hoodies and T-shirts that feature an image of Boeheim shooting a ball and the block orange “S” logo for Syracuse basketball.

The hoodies sell for $59.99 on The Players Trunk website, while an adult T-shirt goes for $29.99. Fans can also purchase a “Buddy Buckets” inscribed mini-basketball for $75, limited edition trading cards for $45 or a 15-20 minute Zoom call with Boeheim for $200.

More “Buddy Buckets” gear could soon be on its way to the market too, including game jerseys and bucket hats.

On 11/6/2021 at 1:17 PM, ORUalum said:

hope Max gets a decent cut for his line of products....pretty cool they can be branded w/ORU logos

Very interesting that they can brand with the school logo and everything. I was thinking that they had to be completely separate. I wonder if this means that ORU can sell this gear in their bookstore or at games. Interesting stuff. 

Excited to get my new hoodie!