Mabee Madness - Nov. 1st

ORUTerry

I've set a timer for 8:30pm to start a pot of French Roast - gonna fill a 32-ounce travel mug and hope to sneak it in.

Tired Good Morning GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

1 hour ago, OKC Eagle said:

Can you imagine if the students showed up for games like this?

696A2246-D064-4B10-A2B3-D879B3517E0E.jpeg

How long is midnight madness going until… you able to make it until midnight? 

Relieved to see the legendary Gordon Helm seated across the way tonight, insuring I wasn't the oldest guy in the building... 😄

For those out-of-towners who were worried you might be missing something tonight, take solace:  this was strictly a student-orriented event.

I thought we might at least see a few minutes of scrimmaging, or a spirited 3-point contest between Abmas, Jurgens, and McBride, but alas, it was nothing but media-timeout promotional silliness, complete with giant foam french fries and onion ring tosses.

Max Abmas looked good, though, sporting a "MIDCOURT MAX" t-shirt that I'm hoping is available for that hard-to-buy-for ORU fan right now for Christmas (thank you, NIL).

And, seeing a slimmer Elijah Lufile bouncing around like a little kid for the dunk contest was reassuring, as well.

But otherwise, nothing to see here (except a gorgeous new arena/scoreboard/upper concourse, and student turnout!) 👍

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I've set a timer for 8:30pm to start a pot of French Roast - gonna fill a 32-ounce travel mug and hope to sneak it in.

Tired Good Morning GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Lol back to school exam

7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Max Abmas looked good, though, sporting a "MIDCOURT MAX" t-shirt that I'm hoping is available for that hard-to-buy-for ORU fan right now for Christmas (thank you, NIL).

Not the best image but here's a photo of the "Midcourt Max" shirt Abmas was wearing.

midcourt_max_shirt.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Not the best image but here's a photo of the "Midcourt Max" shirt Abmas was wearing.

midcourt_max_shirt.jpg

I NEED it. Please update here if anyone finds where this is available for purchase. 

Great turnout at Mabee Center last night....now let's hope at least half of those students actually come to the games....it will look and sound great on TV!....GO BLUE!....:shield-logo:

In one interview, Max said that he had a NIL deal coming out where he would sell merch (young people slang).  Guessing these mid court Max t-shirts may be a part of that deal.  Good for Max, hopefully he will sell quite a few.

On a side note, for those of you who went to Mabee Madness: did anyone look injuried (boot, crutches, etc),  Hoping everyone is ready to play vs. Colorado State.

All the players, both men and women looked healthy to me, but I was sitting pretty far from the court. 

I stopped by early last night so I could take a look at the Mabee Center, and it looks fantastic!!! 

Didn't stay long, but the student turn out was incredible and I can only echo the Eagleman in the  hope that the students continue to support the hoops teams like they did last night.

I do have a question about the young man who was the leader of the "Blue Crew" which is the student section. He was wearing my teams exact home white uniform(which included the flame) He stated that the got the uniform from his Dad and the name on the back was Smith and the number was 31.

Does anyone know if that  young man is the son of former ORU player Eric Smith, Eric was a high jumper on the track team who played on the basketball team from 83-85" and occasionally received the difficult duty of being my roommate on the road. 

I'd appreciate any info.   

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

I stopped by early last night so I could take a look at the Mabee Center, and it looks fantastic!!! 

Didn't stay long, but the student turn out was incredible and I can only echo the Eagleman in the  hope that the students continue to support the hoops teams like they did last night.

I do have a question about the young man who was the leader of the "Blue Crew" which is the student section. He was wearing my teams exact home white uniform(which included the flame) He stated that the got the uniform from his Dad and the name on the back was Smith and the number was 31.

Does anyone know if that  young man is the son of former ORU player Eric Smith, Eric was a high jumper on the track team who played on the basketball team from 83-85" and occasionally received the difficult duty of being my roommate on the road. 

I'd appreciate any info.     

It's gotta be - now that you mention it, he looks like his dad at that age.

Just watched the Mabee Madness video on ORU's twitter feed.  Looked like Max threw a pass off the glass to Lufile and he did a 180 dunk!  So Lufile must be ready for some action this season.  The students were very excited and I would expect good turn outs at the home games from them.   After last year's run to the Sweet 16, the student section is going to be on fire this year.  Especially if the Golden Eagles beat OSU or Tulsa.

On a side note OSU Cowboys got hit with a pretty hard disciplinary action: no postseason this year and the loss of three schlorships.

Yes the OSU punishment seems a little harsh since now all teams can pay players whatever they want.

22 hours ago, Old Titan said:

It's gotta be - now that you mention it, he looks like his dad at that age.

I just saw him at the girls game and forgot to ask his name. His dad is Eric Smith and he said he will tell his dad to get on this board. 

3 hours ago, OKC Eagle said:

I just saw him at the girls game and forgot to ask his name. His dad is Eric Smith and he said he will tell his dad to get on this board. 

I’d like to meet him. 

On 11/2/2021 at 11:20 AM, Keenan Henderson said:

On a side note, for those of you who went to Mabee Madness: did anyone look injuried (boot, crutches, etc),  Hoping everyone is ready to play vs. Colorado State.

Trey Phipps was wearing running shoes with no socks with his practice uni; everyone else was wearing the usual high-tops-and-athletic-socks combo, so take that for what you will... 😎

Other than the dunk contest, the players did not participate in anything that might indicate readiness to play.  Elijah Lufile looked good on a couple of those dunks, though - he has definitely lost some weight the past few weeks.

• Upvote 1