No Summit League Media Day?

Old Titan

7 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Honestly does anyone really even pay attention to the summit league media day? I would consider myself a somewhat die-hard fan and I barely read those articles/watch video clips. How much are we really missing out on? 

Media Day isn’t for the fans; it’s a chance for the print & electronic MEDIA to get quotes, story ideas, etc. from all the coaches and star players in the league, at one time in one place. Sets up the media coverage in each league market for the entire season. 

That’s why a pre-recorded studio “preview” is so lame:  it’s canned, there’s no give-and-take, it’s like a video press release instead of a press conference. 

Is any reporter worth his salt going to tune-in and lift quotes from a Summit League infomercial?  Heck no!  They may simply not write anything…

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

The best thing about being in the Summit is that ORU basically can recruit Texas without any competition from other league members.  If they went to the WAC or C-USA then most likely that is not the case.  Sun Belt might be a good option in a few years, once all these moves trickle down to ORU's level.  

The Summit needs a media day more than any other conference in America. We are are a small mid-major conference, but we had a team reach the sweet 16. The league should be shouting from the roof tops. Media days are usually irrelevant, unless you're a small school that just went to the sweet 16 and played in front of 500-1000 fans at home games!! We need people in seats, and if a media day story reminds a few local non-hoops junkies about our sweet 16 story it's worth it!!

Every school in America recruits Texas, its just a matter of who gets the players. 

ORU should definitely explore it's conference options!   

12 hours ago, ORU40 said:

ORU should definitely explore it's conference options!   

They have, for decades, and have learned that the Summit League is a prime example of the following conclusion (which has been famously used to describe our democratic form of government)

”It’s the worst possible option there is…except for all the alternatives.” 😉

• Like 1

Three Zoom questions with Coach Mills and 60 seconds (if that) from Max Abmas.

If I'm Bill Haisten or Kelly Hines with the Tulsa, World, I'm supposed to write a preseason preview article from THAT??

Couldn't find anyone locally to sit-in with Coach Mills or Max in person for the interviews?

Did they even try?

"Information overload" my eye - what a joke... #smh

• Upvote 1

The symmetry of the graphic of the cassette tape and the Summit's "old school" approach is so sad that it is hilarious.  Just as virtually no one today has the old equipment capable of even playing a cassette tape, this "information overload" approach is equally useless.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

The symmetry of the graphic of the cassette tape and the Summit's "old school" approach is so sad that it is hilarious.  Just as virtually no one today has the old equipment capable of even playing a cassette tape, this "information overload" approach is equally useless.

Yes, who uses tape recorders anymore? Out of date...

4 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Who is the target audience for this? I doubt most Zoomers know what a CD is let alone a cassette.

The whole production smacks of some sort of mail-it-in contractural obligation on MIDCO’s part.

Suffice it to say, I hope the league office didn’t pay anything extra for this drivel.