ORU MBB Scrimmage Reflections

ORUTerry

I attended a recent ORU MBB scrimmage with some other people and thought I would share a few observations

1. It was actually a series of 10-12 minute scrimmages between different player groups. 
  2. Mills coached one team and the assistant coaches were on the other side. Did not notice much (any?) pick & roll action… lots of picks, not any rolls - or passes. Did see rotation around the key where players (Weaver) would trail Max and he would pass back to them when he was double teamed for an open shot. 
  3. When we first arrived, Jurgens was playing assertively and making all of his shots. He didn’t shoot as much during the other scrimmages. I think he finished 5 for 5 from behind the arc. His progression over the last year is remarkable. He is very confident and plays strong. 
  4. Bergens ran the point for his team. Looked more confident. Don’t remember seeing him take jump shots; missed several lay ups/floaters. Better than last year but still has a way to go. 
  5. Thompson looks smooth & confident; good drives to the basket. Do not remember him shooting from outside. 
  6. Weaver drove the ball after head fakes (needs to do this more). Made shots from top of the key. We need him to stay focused and play determined. He and Thompson will be difference makers. 
  7. Lacis was active (rebounds, blocks, etc) but don’t remember seeing him score much. He and Plet were most vocal. 
  8. Lufile practiced some. Has lost weight. He is really active for a guy his size. Assume he still trying to get in playing shape. 
  9. Plet is getting used to playing with his face to the basket. Took several passes in the key, but seemed hesitant as to what he should do. Looked good when he would drive to the basket. He is athletic and is probably the most verbal guy on the court - along with Lacis. 
  10. Herron is athletic and has a nice jumper - made his only 3-point jumper. 
  11. Clover is good on defense but didn’t seem to look to score. Blocked a couple of shots. 
  12. Max is always dialed in and plays with such concentration. He was focused & determined on defense. His shots were off until the last scrimmage when he started draining long 3-pointers. Jurgens was guarding him early and really pushes Abmas because of his length - and his knowledge of Max’s tendencies. Makes Max better. 
  13. McBride is good… really, really good. He handles the ball like a point guard and can shoot lights out. McBride gets tremendous elevation on his jump shot. He doesn’t force anything, but lets the game come to him. Plays hard on defense; really went after Max when he was playing against him. 
  14. Phipps did not play. He was walking around, seemingly fine. 
  15. Luka played a fair amount. He needs to add weight, but has height. He’s a project, but showed mobility - stole the ball from Max on the perimeter and made a 3-pointer. 

Some other people were at the scrimmage with me. They can correct my thoughts or add their own observations. 

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the scrimmage and player  analysis!  You both did a great job! I have talked with Max recently and he is an outstanding young man who is very respectful.  I met his parents at the TU game his freshman year and saw quickly why is is such a good young man. The cool thing is most of the players are similar to Max, very personable  and love being at ORU. We should be in for a great season. 

• Upvote 1

Did McBride run point much or at all, or did it look like he's exclusively going to be in there as a 2? Wondering if Bergens is the sole owner of the backup PG spot or if it looked like McBride is maybe going to take some of that role? 

9 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Did McBride run point much or at all, or did it look like he's exclusively going to be in there as a 2? Wondering if Bergens is the sole owner of the backup PG spot or if it looked like McBride is maybe going to take some of that role? 

Oh, McBride definitely ran the point. 

If you're a fan of good old-fashioned point guard play, you will love McBride. 

He's not a combo guard that looks to slash; he's a dipping, ducking, yo-yo ball-handler guard in the classic sense, looking to cross you up and step back for a jumper (and I mean, a true jump shot:  dude elevates when he shoots).

5 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

I think Mills likes having two guards that can run the offense on the court at the same time.

McBride is a highly skilled guard (you can see why Self signed him to KU out of HS) that has range and can finish well. I would hope that maybe Max's usage rate will decrease slightly this season to keep him healthy and players like McBride can carry more of the scoring weight.

Agree with OT. McBride demonstrated a lot of skills (ball handling, passing, shooting), but mostly played under control… looking to make something happen. He seems to be a true point guard that can score. Will be hard to keep him off the court. 

That last photo speaks volumes:  not sure who's running the show out top, but that's Max in the corner, playing the role of the "Plan B shooter" off whatever play is being run on the perimeter, in what was Thompson's or Jurgens' role last year.

Which I have no problem with:  a 40% 3-point shooter sitting wide open in the corner for whoever kicks it to him?  Will be great, if the man out top with the ball makes good decisions...

• Upvote 1

There is so much talent at the 1-3 positions I think the key to how far this team will go are the 4-5 guys (Clover, Herron, Lufile, Luka, & Plet). Can one of them step up and become a solid scorer on the block? Can they provide rebounding and shot blocking?

IF that happens I really like this team's chances in the Summit.

Just now, Dr. Cornelius said:

There is so much talent at the 1-3 positions I think the key to how far this team will go are the 4-5 guys (Clover, Herron, Lufile, Luka, & Plet). Can one of them step up and become a solid scorer on the block? Can they provide rebounding and shot blocking?

IF that happens I really like this team's chances in the Summit.

Along those lines, I think the difference between really good and great lies on one man's shoulders:  DJ Weaver.

If he continues to be inconsistent, merely showing flashes of brilliance, ORU will still be really good.

But if he can be counted upon to score, defend, and rebound at a high level?  Sky's the limit...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for all these comments....TheEagleman is feeling more and more optimistic about this 2021-22 ORU MBB Squad.....only 3 more weeks until the Colorado State game.....now if we can just stay healthy!....:circle-logoi:

39 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Along those lines, I think the difference between really good and great lies on one man's shoulders:  DJ Weaver.

If he continues to be inconsistent, merely showing flashes of brilliance, ORU will still be really good.

But if he can be counted upon to score, defend, and rebound at a high level?  Sky's the limit...

Man I just don't see it. He will never be a good one on one defender - not on the wing or the in the post. He alters a lot of shots, but it's rarely shots from the guy he's actually assigned to defend. I've only seen him drive to the bucket with conviction once or twice. He's hesitant with the ball and makes a lot of POOR decisions. I just don't see him becoming much more than a role player. Not saying he's not been a solid addition and isn't a great player worthy of significant role. I love how quickly he can get a shot off and how accurate he is from distance, I just don't see the high ceiling for him that the coaching staff and so many of you guys  do. 

I'm more hopeful that Herron can become the breakthrough piece that fills Obanor's void. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play so that's not much more than wishful thinking. 

49 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Man I just don't see it. He will never be a good one on one defender - not on the wing or the in the post. He alters a lot of shots, but it's rarely shots from the guy he's actually assigned to defend. I've only seen him drive to the bucket with conviction once or twice. He's hesitant with the ball and makes a lot of POOR decisions. I just don't see him becoming much more than a role player. Not saying he's not been a solid addition and isn't a great player worthy of significant role. I love how quickly he can get a shot off and how accurate he is from distance, I just don't see the high ceiling for him that the coaching staff and so many of you guys  do. 

I'm more hopeful that Herron can become the breakthrough piece that fills Obanor's void. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play so that's not much more than wishful thinking. 

I think we're both saying the same thing, basically:  Weaver has not proven to be reliable; but if he does - watch out.

I do beg to differ on one of your observations:  I thought Weaver did pretty well, all things considered, defending the post in the NCAA tournament.  He got run over a bit by the big bodies in the Summit League tournament, but those Clydesdales are a handful for anyone on the block.  Against a lot of teams, even better ones like OSU and TU, he should be able to provide some active length in and out of the paint against slim, athletic bigs.

Thanks for everyone's stories and comments.  It is a blessing to hear.  Nice to hear that Bergens is improving.  With all the hype about him coming in last year as a three star player and then seeing him not really be able to help the team was disappointing.  I guess he is still considered a freshman, since last year was a free year.  If Bergens stays the course and does not transfer, he could still be a solid player by the time he is a junior or senior.  

DJ is an exciting player because he could score 15-20 on any given night but then again his defense and rebounding are up and down.  For a guy who is around 6'8 and very long he has really struggled rebounding the ball.  DJ averaged 2.5 rebounds last year.  He needs to improve to at least 4 or 5 this year.  

With the young forwards (Plet, Clover, and Herron) you just continue to bring them along slowly.  ORU does not need huge numbers or minutes out of them.  If one or two of them could just give the team 5-10 minutes a game with some rebounding and defense, then the Eagles should be fine.

DJ is kinda like Roundtree and Vealy.....sometimes amazing and sometimes invisible.....😲

• Like 1

I suspect that Herron will be in the rotation and will by himself provide the 5-10 minutes per game (or more) that you mentioned.

• Upvote 1

Two key words for DJ to elevate his game --- SHOT SELECTION

Fingers crossed he is healthy and makes a big jump this year --- big time potential and seems to a class individual