Max in the new year

Keenan Henderson

14 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Let's not forget that these are pre-season award projections, we still have a season to play! Hopefully, Max will have the type of year we all hope he does and he is a 1st or 2nd team All-American based on his play and the teams success.

I would also add one other ORU athlete that received the ultimate individual honor... Mike Moore was the 1st pick in the 1981 Major League draft. Not the first round, the first pick!!! By the way Mike never played a minor league game, he went strait to the bigs!!    

Just now, jmg1984 said:
14 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Let's not forget that these are pre-season award projections, we still have a season to play! Hopefully, Max will have the type of year we all hope he does and he is a 1st or 2nd team All-American based on his play and the teams success.

I would also add one other ORU athlete that received the ultimate individual honor... Mike Moore was the 1st pick in the 1981 Major League draft. Not the first round, the first pick!!! By the way Mike never played a minor league game, he went strait to the bigs!!    

Expand  

And won the world series helping with 2 wins and Todd Burns from our time was a reliever

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

As a Dukie and an attorney, Bilas is probably just as impressed with Max’s academic achievements as in his athletic success. 

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the ORU Alumni Men’s luncheon this past Saturday that featured Tim Johnson and Max Abmas. Max took questions from Tim - and from the floor. Abmas is such a mature, intelligent, calm, humble - but confident young man. Truly impressive. Tim mentioned that Max had to leave early in order to meet with NBA scouts.

CEBEDCA0-F05F-4A13-871B-FC1A604DC9C0.thumb.jpeg.ecfb8378749e7c202c78d5c9a712e218.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

After 38 points last night, Max is now 10th in the nation in scoring at 22.3 points a game.  Can he reign again as scoring champ in the NCAA's?  As long as he is draining those mid court threes!

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to get my hands on one of those jerseys. Wish they were available in different player names. 

I'd love to know some of the specifics of how this works with the new NIL rules. I thought that the university was not allowed to be involved in any dealings that the player profits from. I assume that Max is getting some sort of compensation for this so obviously I was wrong on that. I also wonder if there are any regulations on giving equal opportunity to all players to make money? Obviously nobody else's jersey would sell like Max's will, but it's interesting that the university is allowed to give Max this opportunity to make money while none of the other players get that same opportunity. 

Concerning NIL, now that they have opened the flood gates, it is like the Wild, Wild West out there.  I am not sure there are a lot of enforceable rules now.

So very cool! I was hoping maybe they'd also sell it online, but didn't see it on the Bookstore website. 😢

On 11/4/2021 at 8:45 AM, ORU40 said:

For the record, Mike played for the Mariners' minor league team in Lynn, MA, prior to being called up to Seattle.

8 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Can't wait to get my hands on one of those jerseys. Wish they were available in different player names. 

I'd love to know some of the specifics of how this works with the new NIL rules. I thought that the university was not allowed to be involved in any dealings that the player profits from. I assume that Max is getting some sort of compensation for this so obviously I was wrong on that. I also wonder if there are any regulations on giving equal opportunity to all players to make money? Obviously nobody else's jersey would sell like Max's will, but it's interesting that the university is allowed to give Max this opportunity to make money while none of the other players get that same opportunity. 

It would be nice if they sold Lacis's uniform, too.  Never met the man but he just seems like such a great guy.  Somebody you want to be the best man at your wedding.  So it seems that Max is the only one on the team who has benefited from NIL.  Surprised he has not done any commercials or paid PR events.

• 4 weeks later...

Max has slipped some in the NBA Draft prospects.  ESPN has him listed at 79 out of their top 100 players.  Maybe he comes back for his senior year! Time will tell.