Max in the new year

Keenan Henderson

Here it is the new and improved Max Abmas awards for 21-22.  OT has been calling for it and others have wanted it.  Midcourt Max was just voted Preseason Summit League player of the year!

• Upvote 2

Wonderful....that and $2.50 will buy you a small cup of coffee at Starbucks......actually might need $2.95.....:hc_mills:

14 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Context:  there are 25 players making up five teams on Dick Vitale's preseason All-America list.

There's only player from a low-to-mid-major school:  Max Abmas, Oral Roberts, 2nd Team.

Which means Max is, in Dickie V's mind, one of the top ten players in all of college basketball.

Season 5 Finger Guns GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Upvote 1

Dickie V is senile as we all know but still this is quite a remarkable honor for a kid from ORU....its gonna bring a lot of attention to 7777 So. Lewis this season and let's hope the kid can live up to the hype....also his teammates will need to step up when opponents focus on Max. 👍

Max will definitely have a target on his back this year… kind of like he had last season, but ratcheted up a few notches. Every team will put their best defender(s) on him and run defenses to counter him. As OT said, each opponent’s #1 goal will be to limit Max and have the rest of the team try to beat them. 

Not having Obanor on the floor will impact Max unless we come up with sufficient options to punish teams that ‘cheat’ to double him. The rest of his teammates need to perform.  Hopefully Max doesn’t force things and let’s the game come to him. He is a mature, intelligent player and will figure this out. 

I remember as a kid watching Richard Fuqua's scoring average drop from 35 points per game his junior year to 24 points per game his senior campaign, as defenses made more of an effort to shut him down, and he deferred more to better talent around him, all against stiffer competition than the previous year.

While his stats that senior year may have led some to think he suffered a dip, Richard was arguably a better player his senior year (as his 2nd round pick by the Boston Celtics bore out).

The same could happen with Max this season:  he could possibly average fewer points a game, because he may play fewer minutes with someone as good as McBride available to rest him, and with fewer "either-Max-or-Kevin" plays, and more scoring-by-committee with the offensive growth of Thompson, Jurgens, Lacis, et al.

So, wouldn't mind at all a "lose the battle, win the war" scenario of Max not leading the nation in scoring (or, even not winning POY in March), with the team winning 20 games and earning a top seed in Sioux Falls.

• Like 1

That is a good point OT about Max scoring less and finding his teammmates more in this upcoming season.  I would think that the NBA scouts know he can score and shoot the ball but want to see more of him running the offense and setting up his teammates.  So yeah we can probaly expect Max to be more of a standard point guard who averages more assists than last year (maybe five a game) and say 20 points a game.

6 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Jeff Goodman’s 2021-22 College Basketball Preseason Awards

https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-2021-22-college-basketball-preseason-awards-10-19-2021/

He selects Max as 2nd team All-American

Another 15-man squad where Max is the sole mid-major representative (unless you count Gonzaga as a mid-major, which I don’t:  it’s a mid-major school in a mid-major league, but as long as Mark Few is there, it’s a high-major program).

• Upvote 1

Hey, does anyone have a subscription to The Athletic?  They've got a couple of intriguing stories up right now about Max staying at ORU instead of transferring, but beyond a couple of tantalizing paragraphs, both articles are hidden behind paywalls:

I dutifily tried subscribing to this website last year, but all they did was take my money and I still couldn't sign in, with no customer service number to call, so I cancelled.  Anyone else had better luck?

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Hey, does anyone have a subscription to The Athletic?  They've got a couple of intriguing stories up right now about Max staying at ORU instead of transferring, but beyond a couple of tantalizing paragraphs, both articles are hidden behind paywalls:

I dutifily tried subscribing to this website last year, but all they did was take my money and I still couldn't sign in, with no customer service number to call, so I cancelled.  Anyone else had better luck?

I'm a member. Message me.