Conference Realignment 2021

Old Titan

Missouri Valley continuing its trend of adding private schools in large cities.  Loyola of Chicago has been a real success story for the MVC, at least in men's basketball.

No telling how the ripple effects of this move will impact UND hockey. 😎

• 2 months later...

Geographically it would make sense for UMKC I guess although Belmont, Murray State, and UT Arlington are not right next door.  I used to think the Missouri Valley was a desirable destination for ORU but most of the good teams have left that conference.  As the Dakota schools continue to improve I think the Summit League could pass up the Missouri Valley in the overall quality of the conference.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Geographically it would make sense for UMKC I guess although Belmont, Murray State, and UT Arlington are not right next door.  I used to think the Missouri Valley was a desirable destination for ORU but most of the good teams have left that conference.  As the Dakota schools continue to improve I think the Summit League could pass up the Missouri Valley in the overall quality of the conference.

With the naming of the new commissioner in Josh Fenton, who is the current NCHC hockey conference commissioner, it will be interesting to see if the league looks to take the NCHC hockey conference under it's wing, as there are currently 3 Summit programs in that league in UND, DU, and UNO.    Fenton is universally well liked and respected by everyone in the league, so this move would make sense if Summit-sponsored hockey is being considered, as I would think the move would be more palatable for other NCHC members if the commissioner where to remain the same.  UND and DU also have a lot of influence, as they spearheaded the creation of the league so if they made it known that they were making the move, the other programs would likely follow, with exception maybe to WMU and Miami (ohio).  

I bring this up because one of the Summit Leagues biggest issue is membership stability.  And that is the biggest thing that needs to change if the league is going to improve - the league cannot remain a revolving door.  UNO has been considered by the MVC, and St. Thomas has such great potential that it would be somewhat likely they receive a MVC invite when they complete their D1 transition.  The NCHC is the best hockey conference in the country, and if the Summit were to absorb the NCHC, the Summit would thereby become the premier conference in the country.  St. Thomas is not currently in the NCHC, and they do care a lot about hockey, so they would accept a Summit hockey invite/opportunity the same day if offered.  Now, a few years from now let's say the MVC gives them an invite, it would no longer be a no-brainer decision for them, as they would severely damage their hockey program in doing so.  The same would apply to UNO and DU as well, both of which would change leagues if given the chance (UNO-MVC & maybe Horizon, DU - a Western Conference).  Neither UNO or DU would make such moves if hockey getting kicked out of the Summit was the result, and I think the same would go for UST as well.  

That would leave the Summit with a stable membership core of the 4 Dakota schools, UST, DU, and UNO, and Oral Roberts would still be able to do whatever is best for them(you).  I hope UMKC stays, as they are a great travel partner for ORU, and I like the whole I29 thing that we have going on.  

In regard to Oral Roberts and the MVC, given the reports of conversations between ORU and the MVC a few months ago, ya gotta think your announcement for the new basketball facility could have something to do with a MVC invite, no?  Or were the MVC rumors completely shot down?

• Like 1

ORU would need to add softball I believe in order to join the MVC.  I also don’t remember hearing about ORU talking to the MVC.

My apologies... I couldn't find a specific source to cite.  Perhaps I was just thinking of this article and I remembered my inference from reading it, which was that ORU could be a target.

(paywall) https://www.extrapointsmb.com/the-latest-on-d-1-conference-realignment/

"But two different industry insiders told me to watch for the MVC to potentially grab a school considerably *outside* of the Midwest. Think Texas. Think elsewhere in the South.

The thinking, as I understand it, is that travel concerns are somewhat mitigated if the expansion candidate is near a major city (and major airport). Gaining access to a new “market” might have some fringe benefits in future media deals, but the bigger prize is the ability to advertise MVC schools in that metropolitan area, which could make it easier to recruit new athletes and regular students.

For what it’s worth, the Missouri Valley used to stretch way further south. North Texas, Tulsa and New Mexico State were all former members. And the league’s new commissioner, Jeff Jackson, was a long-time Big 12 staffer. That footprint would not be completely foreign."

I just don't think the MVC would have any interest in ORU right now, unfortunately. From that little snip you've attached, I would think Denver would be a bigger target for them than the Tulsa market. I don't even know that I would want to go if ORU was extended an invite. I think the Summit is a good spot for our program and gives us opportunities to play for championships while still being a league with potential upside going forward - just wish the travel was a little better. And that the bball tourney wasn't held in the frozen tundra.

Moving "up" in conferences is not always a good thing - just look at OU. Their fans will be regretting the SEC move soon enough, while their athletic executives line their pockets with that SEC cash. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Would you guys be in favor of the WAC over the Summit?  I've seen people mention the possibility now that it looks like UTA will land there.  I like ORU in the Summit, but I'm curious what your thoughts are on that? 

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Would you guys be in favor of the WAC over the Summit?  I've seen people mention the possibility now that it looks like UTA will land there.  I like ORU in the Summit, but I'm curious what your thoughts are on that? 

It’s a great question.   At first blush, I prefer the Summit, since it is (somewhat) a known quantity, while the WAC has been evolving quickly in recent years.  

But, the WAC does have some positives, including:

1) several “like-minded” private schools with religious affiliations (Abilene, GCU, Cal Baptist, Incarnate Word, Seattle),

2) travel opportunities in targeted ORUMBB recruiting areas (Texas, specifically),

3) current focus on excellence in MBB, with four teams in the NET Top 100 and an overall NET/RPI of 15/17, compared to the Summit at 22/23,

4) more competitive baseball programs,

5) losing Chicago State will be an improvement by subtraction.

Negatives would include needing a larger travel budget for all sports, more travel time for student-athletes, splitting conference $ over a larger number of schools, and difficulty for building community (and rivalries) over such a wide geography.

I actually think the biggest question mark is how the Summit and the WAC will treat football in the future.  Whichever of the conferences places a greater emphasis on football will be the league that ORU does NOT want to be a part of.  As we found in our Southland experience, a focus on football will generally not be in alignment with ORU’s best interests. 

The WAC seems like a revolving door without much stability and a much worse travel situation.  The Summit has a lot more stability in my opinion.  

Why does Western Illinois want to go to the OVC?  Is that a better travel situation for them than the Summit?

Although I am an alum of ORU and have season tickets, I also attend TU basketball and football games.  We went to their basketball game last night against Temple.  We were discussing the current teams in the American Athletic Conference.  I know some teams will be leaving and others will be added, but that conference is so much more appealing than the Summit League, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Dr. BB said:

Although I am an alum of ORU and have season tickets, I also attend TU basketball and football games.  We went to their basketball game last night against Temple.  We were discussing the current teams in the American Athletic Conference.  I know some teams will be leaving and others will be added, but that conference is so much more appealing than the Summit League, in my opinion.

I don’t think ANYONE on this board would dispute that the American is a better conference (and more appealing) than the Summit.  But, will ORU ever receive an invitation to join the American? Not in my lifetime!

I believe that NoDak’s question regarding ORU and the WAC was relevant, as it is reasonable that the WAC might target ORU as they continue their evolution.  Whether ORU would accept such an invitation is debatable, based upon the factors discussed above.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wondering what the guys and ladies on the forum think about the Super conferences that seem to be coming down the road.  USC and UCLA going to the Big Ten and maybe some other PAC-12 schools going to the Big 12.  It seems college sports is heading to a three headed monster: Big Ten, SEC, and Big 12 as the super conferences.  It is a big move for football but will also affect basketball.  My concern is that these super conferences will take over the NCAA tournament and the 275 plus mid majors (ORU) will be left out in the cold.  Meaning that only the big-name schools will be eligible for the NCAA's and the Mid Majors will maybe have their own championship, such as an NIT or Basketball Classic tournament.  Any thoughts?

Enjoy being on the forum and hearing everyone one's input.  Happy 4th and God bless