New uni's

ORUalum

Have to admit, I'm surprised they are going with the script "Oral Roberts" look.

I know there has been a feeling (from time to time) among some within the Athletic Department to go COMPLETELY away from the full name, and opt instead for the "ORU" acronym ONLY, ala how "TCU" and "SMU" have secularized their names for general public consumption.

That being said:  I LOVE the full script.  "Be true to your school" - and your name!

Love it....and LOVE the Oral Roberts script just like our baseball team....thumbs up from TheEagleman! 👍:circle-logoi:👍

LOVE the white/blue. The script is a classic look and has been my favorite baseball jersey for the last several years. Not sure about the bands around the bottom on the white/navy.

Hate to be a negative nancy, but why do the alternates ALWAYS have to be gold? Switch it up! Give me a grey, black, baby blue, cream...... anything!

Let them know who we are. Lots of people today don't know who OR was, anyway.

Give them a new meaning for the name by winning!

Oral always used to say that nothing spreads the word more than ORU getting WINNING headlines on the sports page.....and 50 yrs later that still works even better thanks to ESPN and social media!...My favorite headline from last March was in the Philadelphia Daily News when the sports page read on the top of the page in bold black letters....ORAL ROBERTS UPSETS OHIO STATE.......:circle-logoi:

• Upvote 3

Absolutely right Eagleman, as an old timer who actually met Oral, and believe me,  I'm not saying our meetings were anything other then university founder and basketball recruit/player. He was very clear that he loved basketball and very much appreciated what it could do for the University and ministry.  

OR loved basketball and wanted our basketball team to to be competitive at the highest level, during my playing days he was older but he was at practices before or in the locker room after we played "big games",  Ok St., Texas, TX A&M, TU, North Carolina, UCLA, LSU or Kansas, and he wasn't around for the "lesser teams"(my guess is he would have fired whoever put this years schedule together- particularly after a sweet 16 season- but I'll keep that to myself!!).  He wanted ORU to be a top tier basketball program because he understood the benefits that entailed, which we've all clearly seen in the last year.

Hopefully, this years team can build on last years success and continue to move the program forward.  

Go Eagles!!!

Oral Roberts was a high school basketball player before he got sick, most of us know the story.  He had TB and had to leave a game during the high school semifinals (hopefully that is pretty accurate, fill in any details I may have missed).  So basketball was always important to him since his childhood days.  He probaly had a dream to play basketball in college, if he had not gotten ill.  He knew basketball was a tool to reach mainly men with the gospel.  Not sure ORU has had any other presidents that carried that same vision.  Dr. Wilson must have understood that after last year!

The Jerseys are cool: like the variety both old and new styles.  It is good to mix it up: sometimes have ORU on them and sometimes have Oral Roberts.  As they say variety is the spice of life!

On 9/10/2021 at 6:09 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Oral always used to say that nothing spreads the word more than ORU getting WINNING headlines on the sports page.....and 50 yrs later that still works even better thanks to ESPN and social media!...My favorite headline from last March was in the Philadelphia Daily News when the sports page read on the top of the page in bold black letters....ORAL ROBERTS UPSETS OHIO STATE.......:circle-logoi:

A few years back I went to Morgantown, West Virginia for a game with ORU vs. the Mountaineers. ORU (Dominque Morrison, Sutton era) played the 'neers close and almost beat them at the end. The crowd was quiet (maybe stunned) for the last part of the game. I heard a fellow behind me say,

"If they (meaning the 'neers, Huggins is coach) lose, that will be an embarrassing headline in the paper tomorrow morning...

ORAL ROBERTS UPSETS THE MOUNTAINEERS!

It almost happened in almost heaven, West Virginia.

I was at that game. I took a bunch of my buddies with  me and we had a blast. I really thought we were going to pull it off. 

TheEagleman remembers that game well....ORU was ahead or tied until the final 90 seconds......tough loss with one of our best Sutton squads.....oh and let me correct my Phila. Daily News Headline....it was ORAL ROBERTS STUNS #2 OHIO STATE!  ....loved it!   😎

• Upvote 1

Those uniforms are just beautiful.....very simple and classy!!...:circle-logoi:

I too was in Morgantown that night and had a blast.  Took my son to the game and it helped sell him on his dad's alma mater.  Very fun evening!