SDSU and NDSU Baseball & Softball in the Mid-Con

89rabbit

It has been reported by Steve Hallstrom on WDAY up in Fargo that NDSU and SDSU are "all but in" to the Mid-Con for baseball. Are you guys hearing anything? I would guess if SDSU got two more teams into the Mid-Con as associate members it would bode well for our chances to become full members of the Mid-Con.

Looks like Steve Hallstrom's source may be NDSU's Baseball Coach Mitch McLeod.

It was posted by a Bison fan that Scott Miller of WDAY radio had Coach McLeod on his sports talk show and Coach McLeod stated that he was contacted by the Valpo coach before the Valpo series and he mentioned that Chicago State left the conference. He then stated that he thought that NDSU would be extended an invite (didn't mention just baseball/softball or all sports). The Western Illinois coach also told Mitch that he thought NDSU would become a member of the Mid-Con, and has arranged for Mitch to meet the AD of WIU when the Bison head to Macomb, Ill. later this week.

Perhaps Steve has other sources because I am not sure I would call that "all but in", but I thought you guys would like to know.

Thanks for the info, 89rabbit. Sure would be nice if we could get you guys down here for a double header to help make up some of the rainouts we've had in the past couple weeks.

I hate to rain on your enthusiasm bunny guy, but the thought of SDSU and NDSU joing the Mid-Con doesn't excite me at all. I guess you have some nice facilities, but the thought of travelling to your two places is brutal, at best.

Tulsa is one of the easier destination to the Dakota's and it would be a nightmare. And, as bad as it will be for ORU, imagine making travel plans from Macomb, IL, Shreveport LA, or Valparaison, IN, to the Dakotas.

I guess we have to do this to maintain numbers and automatic bids, but I'm sorry not to be happy about it.

I hate to rain on your enthusiasm bunny guy, but the thought of SDSU and NDSU joing the Mid-Con doesn't excite me at all. I guess you have some nice facilities, but the thought of travelling to your two places is brutal, at best.

Tulsa is one of the easier destination to the Dakota's and it would be a nightmare. And, as bad as it will be for ORU, imagine making travel plans from Macomb, IL, Shreveport LA, or Valparaison, IN, to the Dakotas.

I guess we have to do this to maintain numbers and automatic bids, but I'm sorry not to be happy about it.

That is OK eaglet dude, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would like to make you aware that we do have Interstate Highways and Airports up here in the Dakotas. No need for sled teams or anything. :wink:

The Mid-Con is going to add members. Your choices are IPFW, Texas Pan-Am, Utah Valley State, NDSU and SDSU. IPFW would be nice for the Eastern schools (they would be the second farthest east behind only Oakland), but what about the Western members?

I would like to point out (with the use of Map Quest) that Brookings, SD is not really as far away as you seem to think.

Tulsa to Brookings, SD - 654 miles

Tulsa to Ft. Wayne, IN - 764 miles

Tulsa to Edinburg, TX - 801 - miles

Tulsa to Fargo, ND - 840 - miles

Tulsa to Orem, UT - 1,233 - miles

Valparaiso to Brookings - 681 miles

Valparaiso to Tulsa - 717

Oakland to Brookings - 935

Oakland to Tulsa - 976

Macomb to Brookings - 567

Macomb to Tulsa - 549

The next question that you should ask is, beyond travel what does each school add to the conference? If you don't want to add the Dakota State Universities that is fine, again it is your opinion, but don't let a misunderstanding of distance be the thing that you base your opinion on.

That is OK eaglet dude, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would like to make you aware that we do have Interstate Highways and Airports up here in the Dakotas. No need for sled teams or anything. :wink:

The Mid-Con is going to add members. Your choices are IPFW, Texas Pan-Am, Utah Valley State, NDSU and SDSU. IPFW would be nice for the Eastern schools (they would be the second farthest east behind only Oakland), but what about the Western members?

I would like to point out (with the use of Map Quest) that Brookings, SD is not really as far away as you seem to think.

Tulsa to Brookings, SD - 654 miles

Tulsa to Ft. Wayne, IN - 764 miles

Tulsa to Edinburg, TX - 801 - miles

Tulsa to Fargo, ND - 840 - miles

Tulsa to Orem, UT - 1,233 - miles

Valparaiso to Brookings - 681 miles

Valparaiso to Tulsa - 717

Oakland to Brookings - 935

Oakland to Tulsa - 976

Macomb to Brookings - 567

Macomb to Tulsa - 549

The next question that you should ask is, beyond travel what does each school add to the conference? If you don't want to add the Dakota State Universities that is fine, again it is your opinion, but don't let a misunderstanding of distance be the thing that you base your opinion on.

You've basically made my point. Travel is already MISERABLE in this conference. The Dakota schools just add to more MISERY.

And, distance from point to point doesn't really tell the WHOLE story. True...Macomb to Brookings may be a mere 567 miles, but how do you travel EFFICIENTLY from point to point??? Do you suggest driving (especially in the fall/winter months)? HA!

I don't even know the closest airpot to Macomb. But, I would suspect a long bus ride to an airport and one, maybe two connecting flights to get to SD/ND?

I guess, compared to Edinburgh TX or Orem UT, the Dakota option is better by 2%-4%.

I can tell you (having hosted a WIU team) that they fly out of St. Louis, after a three hour plus bus ride.

All things considered, the road trip to Western Illinois has got to be one of the toughest in the Mid-Con, probably rivaling (or close to it) the one to SUU.

Voice, apart from the travel, which I agree with you is a major obstacle when considering the Dakota schools, NDSU and SDSU probably are more appealing than just about any other program that we've heard rumored as a possibility for the Mid-Con. They've got decent teams, beautiful facilities, and solid fan bases.

I agree with you, though, the travel is a tough hurdle to get over.

As far as air travel goes Brookings is serviced by two Airports. Brookings Municipal and Sioux Falls Regional.

Brookings Municipal is about 10 min. from campus. It has service to/from Omaha and Kansas City daily.

Sioux Falls Regional is 45 min. from campus and has direct flights to/from Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Orlando, and starting June 8th - Salt Lake City, Aug. 7th - Atlanta.

You've basically made my point. Travel is already MISERABLE in this conference. The Dakota schools just add to more MISERY.

And, distance from point to point doesn't really tell the WHOLE story. True...Macomb to Brookings may be a mere 567 miles, but how do you travel EFFICIENTLY from point to point??? Do you suggest driving (especially in the fall/winter months)? HA!

I don't even know the closest airpot to Macomb. But, I would suspect a long bus ride to an airport and one, maybe two connecting flights to get to SD/ND?

I guess, compared to Edinburgh TX or Orem UT, the Dakota option is better by 2%-4%.

No not really your point is you hate the travel in the Mid-Con, that is fine. I am not here to argue that.

My point is that if the Mid-Con is going to add members, and the Mid-Con is, SDSU is no harder to get to then any of the choices. Beyond that we also have better facilities, teams, and fan support.

With all that said, you still don't have to like us. Can you think of any schools that might make travel less "MISERABLE" for the conference that have interest in joining the Mid-Con?

Can you fly directly beytween Brookings and Fargo? If the answer is "no" that's a major problem.

Why is that a major problem? It is a 2 hrs. and 45 min bus rid from Brookings to Fargo.

Can you fly from Macomb to Ft. Wayne? Can you fly from Edinberg to Orem? Can you fly from Valpo to Indy? I think I am missing your point.

Guest Blevins

The point is do you want to take a bus load of athletes on what would be a 3-hour plus bus ride in that part of the country in the middle of late fall-winter-early spring when you don't have to?

WEATHER is as much of a concern as travel costs. You guys don't exactly have mild winters (or springs or falls for that matter).

BTW, go on Orbitz and try to find a flight from Tulsa to Brookings. You can't do it without going through Minneapolis and THEN Omaha!

The point is do you want to take a bus load of athletes on what would be a 3-hour plus bus ride in that part of the country in the middle of late fall-winter-early spring when you don't have to?

WEATHER is as much of a concern as travel costs. You guys don't exactly have mild winters (or springs or falls for that matter).

BTW, go on Orbitz and try to find a flight from Tulsa to Brookings. You can't do it without going through Minneapolis and THEN Omaha!

Blevins, it seems to me what you and oruvoice want is a conference made up of ORU, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Wichita State, Kansas State, Kansas and UMKC. Or something very similar to that. To that I say, good luck.

With every school that the Mid-Con is looking at there will be draw backs and advantages. So weigh them out and pick your favorits. If weather is your thing Texas Pan Am is the place. Of course they got kicked out of the Sun Belt for NCAA rules violations and I am sure Oakland would be thrilled, but it is ok if you really want them in.

If we talked with SUU supporters I am sure they would tell you that Utah Valley is the way to go. That is ok too.

Just be honest with yourself and everyone else no need to create "major problems".

Finally if I was you I would fly out of Tulsa to either Minneapolis or Denver and then on to Sioux Falls (that is why I said Brookings is serviced by two airports . . . and before you lose your mind that Sioux Falls Regional Airport is 45 min. from Campus, please keep in mind that I live in Kansas City and my house is 30 min. away from KCI. :wink: )

P.S. The Buses up in the Dakota's have heaters. :wink:

Guest Blevins

What you're not understanding is that the Mid-Con is a logistically-challenged conference. Why we want to make it moreso?

My point is that if the Mid-Con is going to add members, and the Mid-Con is, SDSU is no harder to get to then any of the choices. Beyond that we also have better facilities, teams, and fan support.

Let's take a look at that "better teams" statement . . .

2005-06 SDSU Team Records/Rankings

Men's Teams

Baseball 21-25 (RPI of 278)

Basketball 9-20 (RPI of 276)

Tennis 1-13

Women's Teams

Basketball 19-9 (RPI of 123)

Soccer 5-12-1

Softball 24-36

Tennis 2-12

Volleyball 16-19

Better teams? Outside of women's basketball, what team is going to come in a immediately challenge for championships? Your teams might be better than Chicago State (and we all know that isn't too difficult), but I don't see them making the conference better as a whole.

The Mid-Con doesn't need to add teams just to get bigger. The Big East can't stay at 16 teams much longer, and when it breaks up there will be another large shakeup among all DI conferences. And I don't want to hear about losing automatic bids, either. Accoring to NCAA bylaws, once a conference falls below the required minimum in any given sport they have two full years to get back to the minimum before losing their automatic bid. Centenary's not going any where in the next couple years, but even if they did, the Mid-Con would have time to adjust.

Expansion needs to be something the conference needa to do on its own terms, not something it does in a panic. And to me, adding SDSU would not do anything to aleviate any of the Mid-Con's current knocks of being a low-to-mid major.

I'm not here to argue if the Mid-Con should expand, that it seems for the most part has already been decided. . . From the Indy Star

Mid-Con commissioner Tom Douple said expansion will be looked at in depth at the June meeting of school presidents.

Better teams? Outside of women's basketball, what team is going to come in a immediately challenge for championships?

Not a surprise since we moved up from D-II just two years ago. I wouldn't expect to challenge for the Mid-Con championships just yet. However we are well funded ($6.5 million in '04-'05 and higher this year), well supported, and have had a long history of success. Given time to adjust to D-I and I am sure we will be able to compete in the Mid-Con. Finally, "Better teams" was in reference to the other schools under consideration and is my opinion.

If you don't like SDSU, that is fine. Who do you want to add?

What you're not understanding is that the Mid-Con is a logistically-challenged conference. Why we want to make it moreso?

I do understand that. My question to you is, who can the Mid-Con add that will change that fact? The truth is that if the Mid-Con got rid of Centenary, Southern Utah and ORU it would no longer be a logistical challenge for Valpo, Western Ill., UMKC, IUPUI, and Oakland. Perhaps for the good of the Mid-Con you guys would like to drop out? :wink: