SDSU and NDSU Baseball & Softball in the Mid-Con

89rabbit

i feel that. I really wish ORU would get an invite to the MVC, from my understanding, our baseball squad was given the associate invite to the mvc a while back, with a boost in RPI and improve the facility a little, we would fit in great....but ORU doesn't want to leave the Mid-Con....

oh well....

From what I understand, the MVC invited us to join baseball as an associate member several years ago. ORU turned them down because it would have been a slap in the face of the conference. Sometimes life is hard.... It would be great to be a part of a baseball conference like the MVC. But we need to be loyal to the Mid-Con - at least for now.

It would be nice for some of them to take baseball a little more serious. ORU's domination of the league in baseball is simply incredible. It has to be a little demoralizing for the other schools to know that they will never have a chance in the league.

One thing that SDSU and NDSU bring to the tabel that the other schools under consideration don't is land grant status.

Here is a map showing all the Morrill Act of 1862 Land Grant schools in the USA:

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/land/lgif/m2784l.gif

It is not every day that a conference can add such a school and the Mid-Con is rumored to be in a race with the Big Sky to see who will get us.

Guest Rob Marshall
The point is do you want to take a bus load of athletes on what would be a 3-hour plus bus ride in that part of the country in the middle of late fall-winter-early spring when you don't have to?

WEATHER is as much of a concern as travel costs. You guys don't exactly have mild winters (or springs or falls for that matter).

BTW, go on Orbitz and try to find a flight from Tulsa to Brookings. You can't do it without going through Minneapolis and THEN Omaha!

Great points CB; anyone run the numbers on chartering flights like the Valley schools do? Very similar challenges getting to/from markets like Omaha, Cedar Falls, Normal, Carbondale, Terre Haute, Evansville, Wichita and Springfield.

Ok, after being a former ORU athletic dept employee, currently living in North Dakota, this is a DREAM COME TRUE!!! Granted, we can't all have our dreams come true, but I'll take it! After being up here and following the NDSU sports, I can honestly say the Mid-Con really needs NDSU. From a competition stand-point, ORU will only get better playing truly competitve, good teams, and NDSU can all-around provide that competition. Understandably, the logistics of travel aren't ideal, but like stated before, the Mid-Con sucks for travel arrangements...just think of all the airline miles your racking up, Blevins!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/college/3874150.html

As it completes its third season as a Division I program and its first as an independent eligible for the NCAA Tour-nament, Dallas Baptist harbors no false hope of earning an at-large tournament berth. With an RPI around 70, the Patriots realize that call won't come this season.

What the Patriots wanted to accomplish this season was to move a step closer to a conference affiliation, whether in the Western Athletic Conference, the Mid-Continent or Conference USA.

Last summer, the nine baseball coaches in C-USA conducted a preliminary vote for inclusion of Dallas Baptist. Six coaches voted against the measure, with Rice, Houston and Southern Mississippi voting in favor of bringing the Patriots aboard.

According to the Dallas Baptist website, they are D-1 for baseball, D-2 for basketball, and all other sports compete in the NCCAA (which I assume is for Christian colleges), but they have 5000 students.

It seems that they have established a winning baseball program over the last few years with a competitive schedule, and have an RPI around 70.

If the Mid-Con offered Dallas Baptist an opportunity to compete, I'm sure they would jump at it.

With the stability concerns that we have been discussing concerning the Mid-Con, especially with losing 2 baseball programs with Valpo and Chicago State leaving, and potentially losing a 3rd baseball program if Southern Utah were to join the Big Sky, I see no downside to the Mid-Con extending an invitation to a strong team. They would immediately be the 2nd best team in the conference.

The downside for ORU would be that winning the Mid-Con tournament would NOT be an afterthought anymore, but improving the RPI of the conference could only improve the opportunity for ORU to get an at-large bid if we were to lose in the Mid-Con baseball tourney.

Also, having a Mid-Con presence in Dallas could only help our recruiting in the DFW area. I don't know why we haven't already extended an invitation to DBU.

Heh, I have a co-worker who is from Texas and has a daughter (or two maybe) at DBU. Would make for a nice rivalry.