Breakout player!?

jmg1984

Good analysis of Deshang. Hopefully he stays healthy! He has a great attitude and is a terrific asset to the team.

• Like 1

Good article. DJ can also drive and hit a mid range shot or take it to the basket.  He is very long, which makes it tough to block his shot.  Francis Lacis is a better defender, so they tend to split the playing time at the four.  DJ is due for a breakout season!

• Upvote 1

I agree that this could be a breakout year for DJ. Personally, I don't think his shot selection is bad. He has been at his best when he has been aggressive in his shot selection. IMHO he is lacking in something he may not be able to anything about...quickness. Hopefully, the coaching staff will school him in ball faking and body positioning to allow him to get the best shot possible. You gotta love his length and range on his natural jump shot. I would not be surprised if he IS the replacement for KO. 

I like DJ's fake & drive in this clip... If he can attack the hoop like that this season it would really help his game.

• Like 1

No sign of Max... (?) but the stepback from McBride was nice too!

McBride could be an all star but it will most likely be his junior or senior year.  He has already showed some potential versus SEC teams.  Without Max (as shown in the practice video) he is running the team.  His biggest obstacle is getting enough minutes to show off his skills.  Maybe he splits time with Jurgens at the shooting guard slot but then the Eagles would have two short guards on the floor at one time.  We know that usually leads to poor defense on the other end.  It is still a good problem for Coach Mills to have.

re: Max’s absence:  Paul Mills should add an additional rule to his “first rounders must leave” edict:

”Any player who blows up nationally and spends three months after the season killing himself to get ready for the draft, only to bring even MORE attention to the program by returning to school, is not allowed to touch a basketball until returning to school in August, and must spend the time until then chillin’ and relaxin’ by da pool.”

Hip Hop Summer GIF

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

McBride could be an all star but it will most likely be his junior or senior year.  He has already showed some potential versus SEC teams.  Without Max (as shown in the practice video) he is running the team.  His biggest obstacle is getting enough minutes to show off his skills.  Maybe he splits time with Jurgens at the shooting guard slot but then the Eagles would have two short guards on the floor at one time.  We know that usually leads to poor defense on the other end.  It is still a good problem for Coach Mills to have.

I would think McBride will play a good amount of time with Max and Jurgens in a 3 guard lineup. Guys as strong as he is don't usually have any trouble covering guys 2 to 3 inches taller. Same with Jurgens. Those aren't small guys. They will match up well with most teams. 

It is the 4 and 5 spots where ORU is pretty thin.

1 hour ago, darrenj said:

I would think McBride will play a good amount of time with Max and Jurgens in a 3 guard lineup. Guys as strong as he is don't usually have any trouble covering guys 2 to 3 inches taller. Same with Jurgens. Those aren't small guys. They will match up well with most teams. 

At what point do we become concerned that Jurgens is not back on campus yet?

I know he typically goes home to Europe in the summers, but that was when he was an afterthought. 

Now he's a valuable asset with a lot of upside; not just here but to the Euro pro leagues as well.

Will feel a lot better about his future with ORU once he's back at 81st & Lewis.

42 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Will feel a lot better about his future with ORU once he's back at 81st & Lewis.

Carlos was on campus in early June for basketball camps. Not sure about his status now.

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Carlos was on campus in early June for basketball camps. Not sure about his status now.

That's right, Doc!  Thanks for the reminder; I had forgotten...

In keeping with the theme on this thread, Carlos is already my "breakout player" for 2021, based on his stat-stuffing performances in Sioux Falls and Indianapolis.

Looking forward to seeing him progress even further this season; he's the Estonian Army Knife when it comes to multi-functionality!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...