Mabee Center Updates

ttowncount

Another progress report:

Mabee Center Seats

All balcony and gold seating have been removed, exposing concrete risers that have not been exposed in this fashion since before the Mabee Center’s completion in 1972. The gold seating in the lower bowl was removed at a pace of approximately 1,500 seats per day. Another crew is due to arrive this week to begin laying out and installing seat anchoring hardware. The installation of new seating is set to begin in early September.

So they took out the upper tier blue seats also?....entirely new and larger seats for entire building....so I guess capacity will now be under 10K.....not a bad thing I guess....:shield-logo:

Are they possibly making room for more suites where the upper deck was?

25 minutes ago, dave said:

Are they possibly making room for more suites where the upper deck was?

Seems there was an article lately (Tulsa World, perhaps) that mentioned additional suites are being added; not sure at what level or how many. 

Anybody get the donor booklet in the mail today and see the image of the remodeled Mabee arena? I'm HOPING the court they used for that image is not the final. If it is, it's absolutely awful and does not include "Expect a Miracle" which would be a tragedy if they removed. Hoping they just put a new image on there and did not use the final version.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TheEagleman has not yet received the booklet.....hoping EXPECT A MIRACLE will never be removed from the basketball court......that would be a travesty......😬

I was told that Expect A Miracle won't be removed, that the floor will stay as is. (Of course, things change, so we might have to wait and see what happens.)

3 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I was told that Expect A Miracle won't be removed, that the floor will stay as is. (Of course, things change, so we might have to wait and see what happens.)

I would hope you're correct. We just got the new court a few years ago with the rebrand, so I wouldn't think they'd want to update it unless really necessary. I love the current look we've got, so I'm really hoping the one in the booklet was just a mock up.

Put all the old ORU logos in the corners of the court...and the current one at Center Court.....that would be awesome and we could see the Flame again!.....make the old alums happy, will ya?...after all some of us don't have all that many years left....😲:tb-blue:😬

• Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 3:48 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Love the new Mabee Center exterior look and can't wait to see the interior with new blue seats in the lower bowl....TheEagleman is contemplating a late February road trip for a basketball doubleheader and hopefully a weekend of ORU baseball if the team is at home....wanting to bring my 16 yr old grandson who is heading to his Soph year in HS for a campus visit....and he's a very good baseball pitcher at his HS in South Jersey....ya never know...he could be playing at JLJ some day in the next 5 years....😀

Eagleman, my youngest son will be a sophomore in HS this year also. He’s a crafty left handed pitcher with good control on his fastball and  a nasty cutter. I would love for him to play at ORU. Maybe my boy and your grandson can room together!

22 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Put all the old ORU logos in the corners of the court...and the current one at Center Court.....that would be awesome and we could see the Flame again!

Parks And Recreation No GIF

On 8/4/2021 at 6:11 PM, EagleManiac said:

Anybody get the donor booklet in the mail today and see the image of the remodeled Mabee arena? I'm HOPING the court they used for that image is not the final. If it is, it's absolutely awful and does not include "Expect a Miracle" which would be a tragedy if they removed. Hoping they just put a new image on there and did not use the final version.

I got the brochure and letter in the mail, yesterday. 

I especially love it when people put "Esquire" after their name. It's super cool.

10 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

I got the brochure and letter in the mail, yesterday. 

I especially love it when people put "Esquire" after their name. It's super cool.

Lawyers get to do that; it is very cool. Us non-lawyers should come up with something that we could use. Any ideas? Maybe "Gef." for Golden Eagles Fan.

The seats in Section D, Row 4 where three generations of my family watched hundreds of ORU games for almost 50 years; where I squirmed with grade school buddies; goofed off with high school teammates; entertained college sweethearts; fed Dippin' Dots to my preschool children; and hosted countless personal and professional friends; shuffle off this mortal coil at about the :11 mark of this video.

Yet another poignant reminder of Father Time's undefeated record. 

But, a development made somewhat less painful by this humble survivor, soon to occupy a place of honor in my office.

"THE GOLD SECTION IS DEAD - LONG LIVE THE GOLD THRONE!"  lol

IMG_1915.thumb.JPG.67757065d99a0791f6cafdf419bbd5d6.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Nice OT! Memories for a lifetime! I have 36 years worth of memories at the Mabee Center! I believe we will make many more great memories in the years to come!

I expected almost 50 years of you sitting in that seat to lead to a little more wear and tear. 😁