Bozeman to UAPB

ORUalum

Wow. Hate to see him leave - but congrats to coach Bozeman

Good programs lose their assistant coaches to better jobs. 

And for that very reason, they are able to hire even better assistants to take their place. 

Congratulations to Coach Bozeman on the new gig; very curious to see who will take his place on the ORU bench this coming season. 

• Upvote 1

Congrats to coach Solo on the opportunity. 

Bummer to lose him. I loved his fire on the bench. 

I would think coming off the Sweet 16 run would garner some interest from higher profile assistants from around the country.

I’m trying to think of the last ORU assistant coach to leave for a D1 head coaching job?

The only one I can recall is Bobby Watson, from Jerry Hale’s staff in the mid-70’s, who took over at Evansville and was tragically killed a season or two later when the team charter plane crashed, killing all aboard. Not sure Evansville was a D1 school at the time, though.

I think it is Bobby Watson....what a nice guy he was....such a tragic end....😢🏀😢

Coach Solo has great contacts in Arkansas and will certainly bring a string work effort to Pine Bluff. Hope he does well there. Wonder if he will schedule us in next couple of years?

Congrats to Coach Solo on the head job at UAPB.  They have struggled in recent years so he can help that program to improve in many ways.  Not sure if he is allowed to move from the womens to mens team but Lee Mayberry would be a great assisstant to add to Coach Mills staff!

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Conley is lobbying for the job. 

Lee Mayberry and Conley Phipps are too old for this position on the current ORU staff. 

The proper candidate will be younger, a dynamic personality, someone who doesn't mind being on the road looking for "The Next Great Hidden Gem", while keeping after the current roster like a young dad/older brother.

I'm betting it will be a former player at a major university and/or the pros, perhaps a name we are all familiar with from that period of his life, in his late 20's or early 30's.

(...but don't think for a minute that I actually have any inside scoop on this hiring; this is merely summertime pie-in-the-sky speculation on my part)

• Upvote 2

Coach Bozeman just got his first transfer: K. Milton from Western Kentucky.  Milton orginally signed to play at ORU but then went to graduate school for more basketball training before signing with Western Kentucky.  Maybe Coach Boz will also go after former Eagles: Sheldon Stevens and D Jones.  Might as well use his former connections.

We (Bozeman) were recruiting this kid:

Bozeman is going to create a power in the SWAC…