2021 Summit League Tournament

theeagleman5

23 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I say, as long as ORU athletics is markedly improved in 3-5 years...godspeed

True. We shall see.

He's only made one fire/hire to this point and some might argue its' wisdom/results. 

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

True. We shall see.

He's only made one fire/hire to this point and some might argue its' wisdom/results. 

Who was it? I must have missed it

3 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Some dumb PA Announcer. 

Oooops sorry i forgot mike is still at ORU. im thinking the new guy did something

Just now, jmg1984 said:

Oooops sorry i forgot mike is still at ORU. im thinking the new guy did something

He did. 

2 hours ago, oruvoice said:

He did. 

Ah so your replacement is history!?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, jmg1984 said:

Ah so your replacement is history!?

He was after one season. Then, brought back. 

5 hours ago, oruvoice said:

He was after one season. Then, brought back. 

Wow

3 yrs would be perfect for the new AD Johnson....then move him on and bring in a true ORU man....Mike Minyard!....😎:shield-logo:🤩

• Upvote 1

NDSU lost their NCAA opener to Top 10 Stanford 9-1 last night.....Bison playing an elimination right now vs. Nevada and are leading 5-1 in the 5th....:NDSU:

• Like 1

Glad to see the Bizon avoid the “2 and BBQ” as a 4 seed, and advance to play another day.  It definitely helps raise the stature of the Summit League to have a team other than ORU represent the conference well in the tourney. 

The baseball team still had a solid year: won the regular season title and made it to the championship game of the Summit League Tournament.  One win from the NCAA tournament.  Very competitve all year, including winning the series agaisnt LSU.  Plus next year the tournament will be in Tulsa, so there is hope for them.

As far as the other teams/sports goes, yes there does need to be some changes made throughout the entire athletic department.  My guess is that they will wait a year and let the AD get settled before he becomes the hackette man.  Misty Cussens is in her 10th year and unless she has a great season and wins 20 games, she may be the first one to be fired.  

If you do not look at the overall history of our baseball program and then do not look at our resources versus what the rest of the Summit teams have and also do not look at what we invest financially in the baseball team versus what the rest of the Summit teams spend, then yes one might say we had a "solid year".  The problem is when you look at our history, resources and finances you realize that this year we were mediocre at best and actually have been for several years.  We were at one time the gold standard of the league but not so anymore.  Even our geography versus the rest of the Summit should also give us an advantage.  Therefore at least some of us on here think we are mediocre in baseball and getting worse not better.

As for the other programs we sponsor remove both MBB and Volleyball because Mike Carter and the administration have taken steps to correct those programs.  I am not sure how it will work out for the Volleyball team as this was the first year with a new coach.  And of course we all know how it went in MBB.  But the other programs are mediocre at best and some of them are actually disasters that have been disasters for years.  I would hope that the new AD pulls the trigger on Misty Cussens after this coming year unless she has at least a 20 win season.  After 9 years her overall record is 130-137 and she has never had a 20 win season in that entire time.  You also need to factor in that she inherited a program that had gone 23-11 (2010-11) and 20-11 (2011-12) in the two years before she was hired.  She also had both Kevi Luper and Jaci Bigham from those teams.  So it was not like she took over a program that was in the tank.

I could go on but in short what I am saying is that overall we are and have been settling for mediocrity in basically all of our programs for years even though we are making substantial investments in finances and resources.  Hopefully the new AD will correct this going forward.   

So much for NDSU representing the Summit League well....Bison about to be eliminated by UC-Irvine and its 18-1 in the 9th inning....thats a combined 27-2 vs. the top 2 seeded teams in the West Region. Ouch!😬

Meanwhile....two teams ORU won series against (LSU and Dallas Baptist) are still playing....⚾

On 6/2/2021 at 3:11 PM, oruvoice said:

Men's Soccer 8-4-1 with a late season collapse and other issues

Men's Tennis 2-13

Women's Basketball 6-15

Women's Soccer 2-12-1

Women's Tennis 4-12

Women's Volleyball  3-15

Not much in Men's & Women's Golf

Not much other than a couple of individuals in Track/Cross Country

I mean...other than Max and Kevin, there hasn't been much to get excited about. And, it's been like this for some time, in most sports. 

100% Voice. 

It has been rotting at the core for a while. Partly because of the lack of care/desire from President and same from the outgoing AD. 

In the last 10 years while everyone in that department was recovering from the massive blow/changes after 'the scandel' (and subsequent new Prez) almost everyone around us (especially P5) exploded. AD TJ will need to make significant investment in the areas that no one really sees and don't necessarily translate to immediate wins/losses. It will be interesting to see if they do that or if he is the run & gun guy trying to get immediate, headline results in the significant sports. 

One thing I know for sure, is that Sweet 16 results help paper over a lot of cracks, for a lot of people. 

Misti Cussen should be the last person they should look at replacing. She always plays a brutal schedule, finishes top half of the conference, and out of all of the coaches, embodies the values that we purport to espouse. 

If I were making a list of changes, she'd be near the bottom. That said, there is some room for improvement in WBB, no doubt. 

1 minute ago, oruvoice said:

Misti Cussen should be the last person they should look at replacing. She always plays a brutal schedule, finishes top half of the conference, and out of all of the coaches, embodies the values that we purport to espouse. 

If I were making a list of changes, she'd be near the bottom. That said, there is some room for improvement in WBB, no doubt. 

Looks like WBB got a good transfer from GCU but theyll need more