2021 Summit League Tournament

theeagleman5

#1 seeded ORU will face #4 SDSU on Thursday afternoon in Game 1.....#2 seed NDSU plays host #3 seed Omaha on Thursday evening....TheEagleman has to admit that i am not totally sold on the Good Guys this weekend....we have played better in May but I can't discount the Bison and the Mavs....clearly winning the first two games is key....ORU does not exactly have a lot of pitching depth and can't afford to go into the losers bracket.....do we go with 9-1 Isaac Coffey in vs. the Jacks on Thursday?   :tb-blue:

I would agree that the starting pitching depth has not been as strong as previous ORU teams, but I still believe that it is several degrees better than any of the opponents in the Summit tourney.  That said, I still think that we start Isaac in the first game, as SDSU will almost certainly be starting their #1 ace. 

Does South Dakota State have an ace?....😉:sdsu:

Gaskin gets the start today.  SDSU started their #2 pitcher, Cody Carlson.  We visited with Cody in one of the games at ORU.  He is the nicest guy!  It's too bad I have to root against him today.

So far we are up 3-1 B5

Gaskins?....go figure....guess Coach is saving Coffey (9-1) for Game 2 tomorrow vs NDSU or Omaha....can't argue with that I guess....ORU up 6-1 and batting in the home 6th.....Martinez has a HR....GO BLUE!:shield-logo:

Maybe the theory is Folmer is pretty sure the #2 (Gaskins) can beat the Jacks and then he has his #1 to close it out in game#2. If they would happen to lose game #1, then he has his #1 starter in a must win game to avoid elimination. So far, it looks like it's working out.

• Upvote 1

It did....complete game for Gaskins.....ORU rolls over SDSU 7-1.....:shield-logo:

• Like 1

Best case scenario for ORU.  Gaskins had his best game of the season against the Jacks earlier this year, so starting him in game one was a calculated gamble, and he came through BIG time.  Pitcher of the Year Coffey is available for game two and the bullpen is fully rested going into the weekend.

Fantastic outing by the Golden Eagles today.  Matt Gaskins had an incredible game.  Because of his performance and the play of the entire team our pitching staff is basically intact and rested for the weekend.  Would love to see us claim the title in three games.  Go Golden Eagles! 

NDSU downs Omaha 3-1

ORU vs NDSU 3pm CT

NDSU will be the home team

I have never understood how the league assigns home field during the tournament. Shouldn’t the top seed get home field. Does the regular season not mean anything?

• Like 1

Totally agree , Terry....the top seed should be the HOME TEAM in ALL Tournament games....that's the whole point of winning in the regular season.....it's plain stupid....but no sense whining about it.....Coffey needs to go out there tomorrow afternoon and shut down the Bison....Omaha vs. SDSU in an elimination game tomorrow morning.....winner of that faces the loser of ORU-NDSU Friday evening....:tb-white:

Jacks up 3-0 on the Mavs in the 4th in today's elimination game....Home Team could be on the way out.....:sdsu::omaha:

Omaha is done and they don't have far to go.....SDSU shutting them out today 7-0....so the Jacks face the loser of ORU vs. NDSU in another elimination game tonight....almost time for ORU to take on the Bison......winner will have the clear advantage resting tonight and having only to win one of two tomorrow.....hoping ORU pitching will give us the advantage.....GO BLUE!!:tb-blue:

Looks like the tourney bracket on the SL website was wrong....ORU is the home team