Thanks ORU Hoops Family

ORU40

I just wanted to write an open letter of thanks to everyone on this forum. I cant tell you all how much I appreciate the kind words and responses that I have received here.

Thank you for your patience with some of the personal posts that I've received and made and I cant promise it wont happen again, but hearing from old friends sometimes its easy to forget that it's a public forum! 

I was so fortunate to play basketball at ORU, the Coaches and teammates I had were some of the finest people I have ever been associated with.  

I saw a not too long ago posted tread that thanked the longtime supporters like  OldTitan, ORUTerry and EagleMan and I just wanted to add my appreciation for them and those of you that I'm leaving out, for its the people like you on this forum are the backbone of ORU basketball and Athletics!!

Marshal Wright's post also made me want say a special thanks to Glenn "Smitty" Smith and the people around the ORU teams (Particularly the Mangers) that make everything happen.

A basketball teams mangers are the hardest working people in the program. They are the first ones at practice and the last ones to leave, same on game days- home or away. They handle everything; equipment, uniforms, scheduling, coaches requests and often times babysit the players! They get no credit, the only people that know what they are doing are their parents and dorm roommate, but they hold the team together. To Marshal and any other ORU team manager that reads this, Thank You and it may take the players some time to realize it, but they truly appreciate everything you do!!  

For those of you that don't know Smitty he was the long time athletics trainer. That title is very deceiving as Smitty was so much more to us players. A trainer's job is to keep the teams players healthy and able to play which includes taping ankles and rehabbing from injuries or surgeries etc. Smitty was so much more, he was very good at his assigned duties that I've briefly outlined, but was so much more to us players. At a school like ORU with no football team there is one trainer, not a team of them, so we saw him everyday. He taped us up and treated any nagging problems that are inevitable over the course of a season, but he was also the guy that heard all our locker room conversations- so he knew what was going on with every player basically- good or bad. He was a counselor, he was a phycologist, an ear to vent to , but to me his greatest quality was that he was always positive, in a great mood with us ( he has a great since of humor) and we all knew that he cared about us. Some of the young guys are home sick, older guys don't think they are getting to play enough, no matter what the problem Smitty was there with a joke, a kind word or a subtle piece of good advice. ORU has had a lot of fantastic hires over the years, but I think I speak for most if not all the former players Smitty may be the best one of them all and a true blessing to the entire athletics department. Thanks Smitty!!

So proud of this years team and happy to see the program doing well, now we just need to get some more people into the Mabee center for our home games!! I know I'll be at every game I can. 

Thanks again, and if you see me at a game next year please come say hello I'd love to meet you in person!

Sam Potter

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I just wanted to write an open letter of thanks to everyone on this forum. I cant tell you all how much I appreciate the kind words and responses that I have received here.

Thank you for your patience with some of the personal posts that I've received and made and I cant promise it wont happen again, but hearing from old friends sometimes its easy to forget that it's a public forum! 

I was so fortunate to play basketball at ORU, the Coaches and teammates I had were some of the finest people I have ever been associated with.  

I saw a not too long ago posted tread that thanked the longtime supporters like  OldTitan, ORUTerry and EagleMan and I just wanted to add my appreciation for them and those of you that I'm leaving out, for its the people like you on this forum are the backbone of ORU basketball and Athletics!!

Marshal Wright's post also made me want say a special thanks to Glenn "Smitty" Smith and the people around the ORU teams (Particularly the Mangers) that make everything happen.

A basketball teams mangers are the hardest working people in the program. They are the first ones at practice and the last ones to leave, same on game days- home or away. They handle everything; equipment, uniforms, scheduling, coaches requests and often times babysit the players! They get no credit, the only people that know what they are doing are their parents and dorm roommate, but they hold the team together. To Marshal and any other ORU team manager that reads this, Thank You and it may take the players some time to realize it, but they truly appreciate everything you do!!  

For those of you that don't know Smitty he was the long time athletics trainer. That title is very deceiving as Smitty was so much more to us players. A trainer's job is to keep the teams players healthy and able to play which includes taping ankles and rehabbing from injuries or surgeries etc. Smitty was so much more, he was very good at his assigned duties that I've briefly outlined, but was so much more to us players. At a school like ORU with no football team there is one trainer, not a team of them, so we saw him everyday. He taped us up and treated any nagging problems that are inevitable over the course of a season, but he was also the guy that heard all our locker room conversations- so he knew what was going on with every player basically- good or bad. He was a counselor, he was a phycologist, an ear to vent to , but to me his greatest quality was that he was always positive, in a great mood with us ( he has a great since of humor) and we all knew that he cared about us. Some of the young guys are home sick, older guys don't think they are getting to play enough, no matter what the problem Smitty was there with a joke, a kind word or a subtle piece of good advice. ORU has had a lot of fantastic hires over the years, but I think I speak for most if not all the former players Smitty may be the best one of them all and a true blessing to the entire athletics department. Thanks Smitty!!

So proud of this years team and happy to see the program doing well, now we just need to get some more people into the Mabee center for our home games!! I know I'll be at every game I can. 

Thanks again, and if you see me at a game next year please come say hello I'd love to meet you in person!

Sam Potter

Spot right on about smitty " hey babe". 😀 he could write a book about ORU history (edited of course)😂 perfect representative of the school, fun loving and always a great story to tell!Ill be sure to look for you and say hello!

Great post, Sam....I graduated ORU in 1976 so TheEagleman did not get a chance to see you play along with those really fine early to mid 80s teams....appreciate your positive comments on ORU basketball...it's a special place for me with all the memories....man, I would love to get a look at that Smitty scrapbook....that should be in the ORU HOF!!!.....:tb-white:

ORU40

Thanks for the open letter and the very kind words - very thoughtful of you!!! I wanted to share my recollections - that time period was one of the best in my life - though I have been very blessed by the Lord my entire life, including up to the present!! We had so much fun in the Bball program, directly within Bball (at home and on the road), but also beyond, especially living in the Athletic Dorm. I had some great times hanging out very late nights in your and Kalin's room!! Some of my closest friendships and spiritual mentoring/accountability relationships were made in the Athletic Dorm, during both my tennis and Bball days. I have periodically (off and on) kept in touch with some of the 84 Bball friends - Jeff Reinke, Kalin, Smitty, John Block, Chucky (Charles Dorsey, who when I talked to him last was a Pastor in Azusa, California) - who'd a thunk it!!!), Brian Miles... fantastic!!!!! By the way, I know that Joe Liberatore would want me to say "hi" to you. I also keep in touch with him as well.

Blessings to all!!!

Marshal

Ahhh, the ORU Athletic Dorm in the late ‘70’s and early ‘80’s. 

THAT is the ESPN “30 For 30” we ALL want to see. 

Or, come to think of it, maybe not such a good idea...LOL. 🤐

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Ahhh, the ORU Athletic Dorm in the late ‘70’s and early ‘80’s. 

THAT is the ESPN “30 For 30” we ALL want to see. 

Or, come to think of it, maybe not such a good idea...LOL. 🤐

Probably not a good idea... But, I'm pretty sure most of the Statutes of the Limitations have expired!!! LOL

30 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Probably not a good idea... But, I'm pretty sure most of the Statutes of the Limitations have expired!!! LOL

😀😀😀