W. Illinois at ORU

theeagleman5

Last place WIU visiting JLJ for a 4 games series this weekend starting Friday afternoon with a DH.....Leathernecks are 9-23 overall and 5-14 in the Summit.....ORU a 1/2 game up on Omaha who visits 3rd place NDSU this weekend....so ORU can really use another home sweep and hopefully gain some ground on the Mavs......very important because this is the final home series for the Good Guys....ORU will finish the season on the road at Omaha and SDSU the final two weekends......Golden Eagles have to take advantage of this series against WIU.....GO BLUE!!!:tb-white:

Not a good start to the weekend....ORU loses game one to WIU, 5-4.....Leathernecks scored 4 in the 3rd inning and Good Guys could never catch up....we had the tying and winning runs on base in the 9th but couldn't get the big hit....Game 2 now a must....gotta take 3 of 4 at home.....:tb-blue:

ORU pulls out the nightcap thanks to a walk off hit by Blake Hall, 3-2.....Isaac Coffey with another excellent pitching performance going all 7 innings giving up just 5 hits and 2 runs....ORU gets the needed split....bats need to wake up for Saturday and Sunday.....gotta score more than 6 runs in two games......ORU now 21-19 (12-5)...Go Blue!!!   :shield-logo:

• Like 1

So apparently 2nd place Omaha is now 3rd place Omaha as they lost a DH at NDSU today, 8-7 and 2-0.....so the Bison have passed the Mavs for 2nd place and ORU is 2 games up in the loss column over Omaha....NDSU has played a ton more games than ORU so hard to tell exactly how this will play out.....but we definitely need to win these next two vs. last place WIU to hold our top spot...😎.:tb-white:😎

I caught some of the nightcap game and Coffey was really on in his pitching.  However, I cannot figure out this team.  We compete with nationally rank teams and win (i.e. LSU, DBU) and struggle against the cellar dweller of the Summit.  No offense to WIU, but going into this weekend their resume was weak at best.  It is important that we win the regular season so that we can bring next year's tourney back to JLJ.  Sorry, but our baseball program has slowly gotten worse year by year since the current regime took over.  We use to be a small school powerhouse, now it seams we settle for being mediocre.  Just my $.02.

Amen....any loss to WIU is a disgrace....no excuse....And no offense to the Leathernecks but they flat out stink....😬

Today was better for the Good Guys....ORU broke open a 1-1 game late with 8 runs in their last two at bats to get a much needed victory at JLJ.....9-1....Matt Gaskins and Hunter Swift combined to hold the Leathernecks to a single run and they struck out 10....Ryan Cash and Blake Hall each had a pair of RBI....but WIU hurlers walked in 3 runs and a couple of key Leatherneck errors helped ORU to the victory.....Eagles will go for the series win on Sunday afternoon and now stand at 22-19 (13-5).....a win in the home finale is extremely important....GO BLUE!!!  :tb-blue:  

Omaha currently leading NDSU 7-3 in the 8th inning...a win will put the Mavs back in 2nd place behind ORU by two games in the loss column....:omaha:

Bison have rallied to take an 8-7 lead and still batting in the home 8th.....Omaha has coughed up a 4 run lead.....:NDSU:

NDSU wins 8-7 to make it 3 and a row over Omaha.....the Mavs are gonna be super ticked next weekend when ORU comes in for a big series......😬

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2021 at 10:01 PM, ORU82 said:

I caught some of the nightcap game and Coffey was really on in his pitching.  However, I cannot figure out this team.  We compete with nationally rank teams and win (i.e. LSU, DBU) and struggle against the cellar dweller of the Summit.  No offense to WIU, but going into this weekend their resume was weak at best.  It is important that we win the regular season so that we can bring next year's tourney back to JLJ.  Sorry, but our baseball program has slowly gotten worse year by year since the current regime took over.  We use to be a small school powerhouse, now it seams we settle for being mediocre.  Just my $.02.

I must agree with your evaluation of the program. Not sure what the reason is but it well may be the conference we are in. If I’m a top level recruit I would not want to play in the Summit. It’s probably one of the lowest ranked baseball conferences in the country. I do’t think the 2 anticipated additions to the present 5 member conference is going to help things. The non conference schedule is tough, but not enough to excite players to want to go to North Dakota and Macolmb et al. 

Dave....I think you may have nailed it.....😬:shield-logo:😬

ORU just scored a run rule victory 10-0 over WIU this afternoon.....Ryan Cash hit a grand slam in the home 7th to make it 9-0 then Jordan Wiley followed with a solo HR to end the game....Evan Kowalski and Cade Denton combined on a 2 hit  shutout improving ORU to 23-19 (14-5) on the season....the 1st place Golden Eagles will travel to Omaha next weekend for a very important four game series vs. the Mavs......:tb-white:

Omaha salvaged the final game or their series at NDSU today 5-4.....so ORU will head into the series next weekend vs. the Mavs with a 3 game lead....Mavs still in 3rd place just percentage points behind the 2nd place Bison who host 4th place  SDSU next weekend.....:omaha:

Let’s hope the baseball team can pour it on at the end of the season the same way the basketball team did at the end of theirs. 

• Like 1

SCHOOL CONF CONF. WIN % CONF. HOME CONF. AWAY CONF. NEUTRAL CONF. STREAK OVERALL WIN % HOME AWAY NEUTRAL STREAK
14-5 0.722 8-3 5-2 0-0 W2 22-19 0.537 12-11 10-8 0-0 W2
17-10 0.630 8-3 9-7 0-0 L1 32-14 0.696 10-3 22-11 0-0 L1
11-8 0.579 8-3 3-5 0-0 W1 19-19 0.500 12-5 7-14 0-0 W1
6-14 0.300 4-4 2-10 0-0 L5 11-25 0.306 4-4 6-17 1-4 L5
6-16 0.273 5-7 1-9 0-0 L2 10-25 0.286 5-7 5-18 0-0 L2

NDSU's 3-1 series win over Omaha was probably a best-case scenario for ORU's title chances.  Unfortunately, ORU's single loss to WIU at home still gives the Mavs a glimmer of hope coming into this weekend's series.  A split by ORU in Omaha would be devastating to the Mavs, as they would then need SDSU to sweep ORU in the final weekend to have any chance at the title (and with the split, ORU would have a one-game "cushion" with NDSU, meaning that however the Bizon fare with SDSU this weekend, ORU could lose an additional game to the Jacks and still claim the title - if the Bizon sweep, ORU could go 3-1 - if the Bizon win the series 3-1, ORU could split, etc.).  If Omaha wins 3 of 4 over ORU, it gets pretty interesting, although ORU would still be in control of its own destiny (sweeping SDSU would be enough to claim the title over NDSU and Omaha, no matter how the Bizon and Mavs finish their seasons).  And, an Omaha sweep over ORU would tip the scales in the Mavs favor, as they would then be in the driver's seat.

It is possible for the Eagles to clinch the title after this weekend.  As an example, if ORU wins the Omaha series 3-1 and NDSU splits with the Jackrabbits, then ORU wins the title outright and takes off all of the final weekend pressure going into Brookings.

And, of course, weather and COVID could throw a wrench into any of these scenarios!