Issac McBride

ORUalum

Disclaimers and Qualifiers:

I hope I'm wrong. 

Issac seems like a great fit with ORU's culture and values. 

My observation is taken from a very small sample size of plays.

My very brief and straightforward point:

After watching Issac's Vandy and high school highlights on YouTube, he doesn't pass the eye test for me. The form on his shot seems labored and forced. Not smooth and fluid like other "natural scorers". Even his inside scoring (layups, etc) seems like he is barely getting the ball in the hoop.  

Home Team Rationale:

There are no style points in basketball. 

You don't have to have great form to get the basket in the hoop. 

He put up big numbers in high school and will be playing against Summit League guards.

39 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

Disclaimers and Qualifiers:

I hope I'm wrong. 

Issac seems like a great fit with ORU's culture and values. 

My observation is taken from a very small sample size of plays.

My very brief and straightforward point:

After watching Issac's Vandy and high school highlights on YouTube, he doesn't pass the eye test for me. The form on his shot seems labored and forced. Not smooth and fluid like other "natural scorers". Even his inside scoring (layups, etc) seems like he is barely getting the ball in the hoop.  

Home Team Rationale:

There are no style points in basketball. 

You don't have to have great form to get the basket in the hoop. 

He put up big numbers in high school and will be playing against Summit League guards.

All valid points, but so far as my posts are concerned, I'm just floored by the credentials of the players that ORU has inked this spring, regardless of whether they pan out or not.

Can any of them play?  That remains to be seen, and let's face it:  there aren't enough minutes or basketballs for all these guys to be stars, anyway.

But, I've noticed this much over the years from the better programs:  if you sign enough blue-chippers, over time one or more is bound to become a stud.

Like Eddie Sutton famously drawled:  "You can't win the Kentucky Derby ridin' a mule".

Here's to signing as many thoroughbreds as possible, and then lettin' 'em run...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

With ORU making the Sweet Sixteen run and so far keeping the coaching staff together, that is going to draw the attention of some high level guys (either high school or college transfers).  If ORU would have lost in the semis of the Summit League Tournament, there is no way McBride comes to the Eagles.  Also, with what Max did this season in leading the nation in scoring and maybe being drafted, also effects Mcbride's decision to come to ORU.  Then he thinks that could be him in maybe two years. 

It seems as if each season Coach Mills continues to bring in higher ranked players from each recuriting class.  Next year maybe he will even land a ESPN top 100 player!  He is also good at finding diamonds in the rough such as Kareem Thompson and Carlos Jurgens.  So he has shown the ability to do a little bit of both.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Hey, all kidding aside about TU just giving a scholarship to a 2-star kid out of NEO with no other Power-5-plus-Big-East-plus-AAC offers (seriously, they apparently really DO covet a different level of player than ORU), Issac Mcbride would arguably be the most highly-considered ORU signee since....geez, I don't know, who?

He had offers out of high school from the likes of Arkansas, Wichita State, Oklahoma State, SMU, Tennessee, TCU, Loyola, and a boatload of mid-majors (including ORU).  His final three were Auburn (that's Bruce Pearl), Virginia (that's Tony Bennett), and Kansas (that's Bill Self).  Here's a link to an article on Rivals.com (who had him as a 4-star BEFORE he signed with KU) re: his final three schools:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/four-star-mcbride-focused-on-final-three

I mean, can anyone else remember ORU signing a consensus prep 4-star player with offers from ACC, SEC and Big XII schools led by Hall-of-Fame caliber coaches?

Yeah, me neither...

Well most of them think they are getting Bryce Thompson in the next couple of days.:) So there is that. 

11 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

The form on his shot seems labored and forced. Not smooth and fluid like other "natural scorers"

There does seem to be a slight hitch in his shot but I trust this coaching staff with development.

2 hours ago, darrenj said:

Well most of them think they are getting Bryce Thompson in the next couple of days.:) So there is that. 

Will be very interesting to see if the two most highly-regarded guards in the 2020 Kansas recruiting class end up playing out their college careers just 7 miles apart in Tulsa, OK.

With his size, Thompson obviously has more upside compared to McBride, but based on the lack of player development at TU from Frank Haith & staff over the years, I wouldn't bet which player ends up enjoying the most success by the time they're done...

ESPN is saying that if a player has transferred more than once, they have to get a waiver to play next season or will need to sit out.  That would mean McBride would have to get a waiver to play next season with ORU, since he transferred from KU to Vandy and now to ORU.  Hopefully that is not a problem.

The discussion of McBride’s shooting style, etc reminds me of an exchange Derrick Harper had with a local writer when he was playing for the Mavericks. The writer was pressing Harper on his awkward shooting style and Harper said he was more interested in results rather than appearances. Then he said “For example I can see your notes and your handwriting is pretty sloppy but that doesn’t mean you can’t be a good writer.”

• Haha 1

Hitch or No Hitch in that shot? Whatever it is, Im liking what Im seeing... Glad Issac hitched himself to the Mills staff, great things coming.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the video of McBride...more 3 pointers! 

Geez....McBride looks fine shooting to TheEagleman.....🤩

He can shoot the ball with his eyes closed as long as he hits the basket. 🙂 Who cares if he bends his elbow one way and not another, or turns his head, or does a somersault? 

It appears he can create his own shot, and then elevate to shoot.

I will take that over some flat-footed-can’t-get-his-shot-off-against-athletic-defenders-Rotnei-Clarke-type any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

• Like 1

There's a blast from the past! 

3 minutes ago, titansforever said:

There's a blast from the past! 

Most overrated high school recruit to ever come out of Oklahoma.

Rotnei Clarke is probably selling insurance now......😆

Looks like he's playing in Italy.