Shutouts

Old Titan

ORU suffered its fourth shutout of the season Sunday, already tying the most times ever being blanked in a season, and after just 31 games. 

Previous seasons with four shutouts were Larry Cochell's 52-game first season at ORU in 1977; and Herb Dallis' 1971 squad that played 48 games against primarily non-D1 schools.

To put things in perspective, ORU has just nine seasons overall with 3 shutouts, and several seasons with NO shutouts at all, and some of those years they played more than 60 games. 

ORU has endured fewer than 100 shutouts total in over 50 years of playing baseball, which speaks well to the program's standard of success over that time.

But, based on ORU's current approach at the plate and on the bases (often leading to runners left-on-base in multiple innings per game), I would not be surprised at all to see that number of shutouts climb substantially higher before the end of the year.

Thanks for posting OT what I have been thinking.  I have avoided talking about or questioning our baseball team so as not to be "Debbie Downer", but I have serious concerns for the program and this year makes it even more perplexing.  Over the last few years I wondered as to whether or not we were heading in the right direction and overall I do not think we are.  Yes it is perplexing because we thump LSU on their field and pull a sweep over DBU, then choke playing lesser talent.  Right now we have a losing record overall and we are well beyond the mid-point of the season.  Baseball has always been one of the programs we could always count on for success.  Right now, and not just this year, that appears to be gone.  I hate to complain but when viewed over the last few years I see a downward projection of this program and that is not good.    

• Upvote 1