2021-2022 Roster

Old Titan

This is the same week we typically start this thread each year, though it seems more up-in-the-air this time around than in past off-seasons.

Who is coming back?  Who is moving on?   What new faces will be joining the team?

UPDATED 7/19/21:  here's who it's thought will be in uniform for 2021-22:

1.  Max Abmas
  2.  Carlos Jurgens
  3.  Francis Lacis
  4.  Kareem Thompson
  5.  Deshang Weaver
  6.  Nate Clover
  7.  Elijah Lufile
  8.  Jamie Bergens
  9.  Trey Phipps (transfer from Oklahoma)
  10.  Sir Issac Herron (prep signee)
  11.  Issac McBride (transfer from Vanderbilt)
  12.  Elijah Lawrence (prep signee via Rice)
  13.  Luka Tekavcic (prep signee reportedly committed)

Here's the rest of this past season's roster, with each respective "leading cause of uncertainty" re: their return:

• D'Maria Jones (transfer portal)
  • Sheldon Stevens (transfer portal)
  • RJ Glasper (transferred to Incarnate Word)
  • Kevin Obanor (transferred to Texas Tech)
  • Ismael Plet (limited playing time; need more info)
  • Jonathan Alexandre (limited playing time; need more info)

To be continued...for months.

Sir Isaac Herron would be the 7th player, assuming he makes it on campus in August. Jones and Stevens are for sure gone and Lufile may not know yet if his health will allow him to play. I thought I heard mills say that Glasper was planning to return next year.

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Was Justin Lovvorn a walk-on this year, and what is his status for the future?

He was a 5th-year senior (one season at Dallas Baptist plus a redshirt year; two seasons at Hardin-Simmons). 

He's already promoting a for-profit shooting service in the Dallas area on Twitter:  

I think that Jurgens and Lacis will return - both really enjoy their experience at ORU. But I have to think that they have been contacted by European leagues concerning their availability... especially given the notoriety both received in the NCAA tournament. 

The next 30-120 days should be interesting. Who stays and who do we add to the roster? The NBA draft is July 29th, but I assume Kevin & Max will know where they will land before then. 

Is Clover for sure coming back? He wasn't at the Welcome Back Party so I assumed he was a portal guy as well?

Clover has been injured.  Maybe that explains his absence...? He has not entered the transfer portal yet, while Stevens and Jones have. 

I think Lovvorn is Coach Patterson's brother-in-law.  I'd bet he comes back as a GA next year.

In the Patterson podcast posted in the publicity thread he specifically mentions Coach Mills philosophy on having a ton of GA's on staff (5 or 6 i think he stated)...he says it's a great way to get into coaching and there is always someone for the players to go to the gym w/and get up shots.

Somewhat of a surpise but as we said down the stretch last year, ORU played better with Jurgens starting in his place.  Hopefully he finds the right fit.  

Hmmm, guess Glasper isn’t sticking around after all. I wonder if Max has given the coaches the idea he is coming back, otherwise we are awful thin at PG. I’m guessing there may be some more transfers into the program.

Our guards currently:

Abmas/Jurgens/Thompson/Bergens/Phipps

Abmas & Jurgens can play the point - and maybe Thompson. Bergens needs to improve/develop... quickly. I have to think that we expect to see an additional guard join the team. 

24 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Our guards currently:

Abmas/Jurgens/Thompson/Bergens/Phipps

Abmas & Jurgens can play the point - and maybe Thompson. Bergens needs to improve/develop... quickly. I have to think that we expect to see an additional guard join the team. 

I remember getting called an "old man" or "geezer" or something similar about this same time last year when I talked about the need for Point Guards, 2-Guards, Face-Up Fours, Post Players, etc.

I can't remember who, but one of our resident experts informed me that "position-less basketball" was the style de jour right now, and I was basically a dinosaur in worrying so much about positions.

So, with that thought in mind (and, with my new-found sense of humility in the face of the Sweet Sixteen run), may I be the first to suggest "What difference does it make who brings the ball up??"

(and, if you think my tongue is planted firmly in cheek with that simplistic suggestion, it's only because it is...) 

A team needs a ‘general’ on the  court who can see things and get everyone into the flow of the offense. It helps when the whole team is bought into the system. 

Since the Eagles signed Trey Philipps three guards have decided to transfer.  Odd but guessing Coach Millls has big plans for that young man, which means he would have taken a lot of minutes from the guys transferring.  Philipps was playing some minutes at OU in the first six games and averaged 6 points a game.  So he can most likely fill the void that Glasper leaves.  As long as the starting five from the end of last year and DJ Weaver do not leave, then the Eagles should be able to build around those six guys (Max, K.O., Carlos, Francis, Kareem and DJ).  They were the main players that helped ORU get hot and win 7 out of 8 down the stretch.

Keeping the end of year rotation that won the Summit League Tournament should be priority number one BUT you need more players over the course of the season. You can't expect to play a full season in a playoff mode tightened rotation.

If both seniors had stayed, ORU could have had 15 schlorship players because of the covid/free season.  Now that the two have transferred does that mean the Eagles are back to 13 open positions?  Also what do you guys think of Jonathan Alexandre and maybe giving him a shot instead of having him as a walk-on.  Like his length, athleticism, and offensive ablility.  I think he could help the team next season off the bench (say 5-10 minutes a game),