Max Abmas / Mock Drafts

ORUalum

Thought it might need a dedicated topic...another projection as a late 1st rounder

Yahoo and now Espn 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree with what @vcboy2000 said on the other thread:

1 hour ago, vcboy2000 said:

If he is going to be a second rounder, he will be back at 81st & Lewis next year. 

If he is going to be a first rounder (no matter where that is), he will sign with an agent. And I agree 100% with that decision. Guaranteed money is guaranteed money. Coming back to try to improve his draft stock guarantees him nothing. 

If Max can get a firm promise of being a 1st rounder he should go. It's almost better to be undrafted than to have a team lock up your player rights in the second round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Agree with what @vcboy2000 said on the other thread:

If Max can get a firm promise of being a 1st rounder he should go. It's almost better to be undrafted than to have a team lock up your player rights in the second round.

This is so important. You want to get with a team that has a good system and has a vision for how you fit. 

One reason I think he might return this coming season has little to do with basketball:  out of high school, Max was contemplating a four-year military academy degree, followed by the requisite four-year service commitment.

It would be surprising to see him now leave college (where he obviously excels) after just two years, and right after his head coach just made his own eight-year commitment.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I also think he needs to ‘beef up’ a little bit. His weight/frame are a bit slight for NBA play. Maturity and weight training will help with this. 

Max is an excellent student (Pre-Med I think). It makes sense for him to complete (or come close) his education for when he wants to pursue life after basketball. Maybe the coaches could put him in touch with Luke Spencer-Gardner concerning a medical career. 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

One reason I think he might return this coming season has little to do with basketball:  out of high school, Max was contemplating a four-year military academy degree, followed by the requisite four-year service commitment.

It would be surprising to see him now leave college (where he obviously excels) after just two years, and right after his head coach just made his own eight-year commitment.

He can always finish his degree later. He should absolutely enter the draft if he is able to go round 1. The 30th pick (last pick of the first round) is guaranteed $1,662,100 year 1 on the 2021-2022 rookie scale.

That'd put him well on his way to attain the median lifetime earnings...

image.png.00a505e6556001b146ea2398c9985951.png

• Like 1

I totally agree with this. If either he or Kevin can get guaranteed money, they should absolutely take it. 

2 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I totally agree with this. If either he or Kevin can get guaranteed money, they should absolutely take it. 

Obviously, the biggest question mark being how would they know for sure? Worst case would be they were promised round 1 and drop to round 2... no guaranteed money, lose amateur status, and locked in with a single franchise.

• Upvote 2

i heard in some interview that off the dribble shooting was a point of emphasis for Max between his FR and SO seasons....all he does is go out and become one of the best statistically in the country.

In the bigger picture, I'm just suggesting that Max (and his parents) will not base his decision solely on a cash windfall.

On 4/9/2021 at 4:47 PM, Old Titan said:

In the bigger picture, I'm just suggesting that Max (and his parents) will not base his decision solely on a cash windfall.

I recommend they watch Money Ball. “I made one decision in my life based on money...”

I think there is a chance for Max to improve his draft position by coming back. To me, the two key issues are summarized well in the TW article that Terry posted in another thread - the depth of PGs in the draft and the chance to put on a little more muscle:

In some years, Abmas probably would grade out at a first-round level. This year, the list of elite point guards is deep. This draft is loaded with strong, skilled guards who have a pronounced size advantage over the 6-1, 158-pound Abmas.

“Mind you,” Mills said, “there are only three guys in the NBA who are under 165 pounds.”

The 2022 draft class isn’t expected to be as loaded with point guards, so the 20-year-old Abmas — if he does stay at ORU — would have had an additional year to master the position and become physically stronger.

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/oru/bill-haisten-oru-s-max-abmas-kevin-obanor-request-info-from-nba-draft-advisers/article_c759c84a-9265-11eb-a007-67e490c98777.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

• Upvote 1

38 MAX ABMAS

PG, ORAL ROBERTS, SOPHOMORE
Primary Attributes: shooting
Age 20 | 6'1" | 165

Abmas was dominant all season for the Golden Eagles, averaging 24 ppg and 4 apg and shooting 43% from 3 with more than eight attempts per game. His dominant play in the NCAA Tournament -- 29 points against Ohio State and 26 points and seven assists against Florida -- made him a potential first-round or early second-round prospect. He has unlimited range on his jump shot and can get anywhere he wants to on the floor. His lack of elite size for his position and his score-first mentality limit his upside somewhat, but he’s a very intriguing prospect.

Draft range: 25-45

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I hate to say it; as an ORU Basketball fan and long ago player, Max should absolutely declare for the draft. 

His draft stock will never be higher, it can only go down from here. This season was a miracle!! I hope it's not the case, but it's very unlikely they will repeat this years accomplishments.

Everything feel into place perfectly this season, ORU has had 5 teams total in over 50 years make the NCAA tourney, and we've had a lot of really good players over the years.

They were a tip and a blocked shot away from being 14-11.

Max should strike while the iron is hot, worst case even as a 2nd round pick with the notoriety he received this year he will make a ton of money either in the NBA or overseas!  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, ORU40 said:

His draft stock will never be higher, it can only go down from here. This season was a miracle!! I hope it's not the case, but it's very unlikely they will repeat this years accomplishments.

From my perspective, I think Max still has a higher ceiling and would benefit from more college basketball.  He improved significantly over the course of the season, and I anticipate that he will continue to work on his ability to get an open shot on his own.  And, further weight training is a must before taking on the much more physical play of the professional ranks.  Yes, ORU’s Sweet Sixteen run gave Max HUGE exposure, and he excelled in that environment.  But next season, he will enter the year with pre-season hype, and I believe his stock can rise even further as he gets stronger and brings these further improvements to his game - and has media exposure all year long.  

That said, while Max’s draft status can improve, I do believe that ORU’s recruiting opportunities are at an all-time high.  With huge transfer portal opportunities and heightened interest amongst multiple star HS seniors, the coaching staff will have some very difficult decisions to make in the days ahead.  And, while it will be challenging, it is a GREAT problem to have!  The future of ORU basketball is NOW!

I completely agree that the ORU program opportunities are are at an all time high for recruiting, donations, ticket & merchandising sales, fan support and media attention etc.

As an old timer, I can remember the 84-85' ORU team, "Next year is here" that for a variety of reasons did not have the expected success of the 83-84' NCAA tourney team. That team was very good (3 NBA draft picks, including Mark Acres who played 10 years in the association), but there are no guarantee's and the preseason media can quickly turn into a double edged sword.   

Next year Max will see every opponents entire defensive scheme designed to stop him, box and 1's, zones, double and triple teams, etc.. College basketball is a coaches game, professional basketball is player dominated. NBA, G-league and overseas coaches work exclusively with and develop professional players. Coach Mills is outstanding, but his primary job is to develop the ORU team and program. The closest NBA player comparisons for Max are probably Trae Young and Lou Williams, Trae went to OU for 1 year and Lou went straight to the pro's out of high school. Max will get maximum individual player development at the pro level and with a average career being at best 8-10 years, every year in college is approximately 10-12% of his pro career gone.

College basketball players with any hope of playing professionally dream of the exposure Max was able to generate for himself. His decision is a great problem to have, but as far as the risk of staying as opposed to the possible reward isn't worth it.  He really isn't going to improve his stock, he biggest liability is his size and he isn't going to get any taller if he stays and 10 lbs of weight strength is easily added at the next level, where as an injury or less then expected season could easily drop his draft stock considerably!! 

It's his time!!! Whatever he decides, what he and the team did this year was incredible and will live forever in ORU hoops history!!

• Like 1

Max still has over a month to decide (May 30th is the deadline).  So he has time to think about the decision and talk about it with pro scouts.  Even if he gets drafted in the second round, he should find a place as a guy on the end of the bench.  Look at DeQuan Jefferies (former ORU guy) and how he has carved out an end of the bench role with the Houston Rockets.  

NBA wants young guys (not seniors) with a lot of potential.  They also want point guards that can shoot, drive the ball, and hit floaters at times.  That is Max in a nutshell.  He may not be an all-star type player but should be able to have an impact as a backup point guard in the NBA.