Welcome back party

EagleFanatic

19 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - roll the Dr. Pepper "Fanville Jinks" commercial after this news, just hours later...

The quote from Johnson was: "...If you've heard from Paul Mills and you've heard from all our players... who are coming back."

I took it to mean that the players on the stage are coming back... hopefully that's not an indication about Kevin.

Thanks to Sheldon and D'Mauria...they will always be a part of ORU history.

Just guessing Sheldon is looking for more minutes and D'Mauria is wanting to use the extra covid year

53 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - roll the Dr. Pepper "Fanville Jinks" commercial after this news, just hours later...

And this...

I would assume those 2 spots will come in handy. 🙂 

If I’m not mistaken, players can still return (if wanted) after testing the transfer portal?

And, as perhaps hinted by darrenj’s post :  these decisions may be the mutually-agreed upon conclusion of the sometimes-dreaded postseason “exit interviews”.

If you were told you should not expect much (if any) playing time next year, wouldn’t you hit the portal as well?

• Upvote 1

I wish both players well. Jones was a player that could defend several positions and always played hard in the limited minutes he got. Stevens also provided quality minutes when he subbed in for Jurgens or Thompson. I suspect they are looking for more minutes since we may have players coming in that would push them down the bench. I don’t blame them for wanting to go someplace where they can get playing time. 

• Upvote 1

You would think that Trey Phillips would take Stevens minutes in the upcoming season, as a backup combo guard.  Also with Glasper being healthy, it would have been a crowded backcourt.  Always enjoyed watching D Jones play.  You knew something would happen when he got on the court, sometimes good or other times kinda wild looking but never boring!  He just never really found his spot on the team.  At 6'3 220 he was built like a power forward but only tall enough to be a shooting guard. Hope these guys find what they are looking for.

So a couple take aways from the welcome back party...

I thought turn out was pretty good. Even though it was called a party, it wasnt really a party, and i doubt people showed up expecting to be entertained per se, so the fact that most if not all were there to simply show appreciation, was pretty cool. Plus there was probably more people there than any of the actual home games. I think Covid stills weighs heavy on attendance to anything, but I hope that has dissipated by the start of the season next year. Sure would be fun to be back at a packed (gold plus some blues) out Mabee like back in the good ol' LSG, Green, Tutt days.

You could see that the team really does love being around one another. I remember a pre season barbeque where Bluitt, and Green and some others were all up on stage, and they were all just giggling, and having the best time, cracking jokes to one another, and trying to contrain laughter. You get the sense that this group has similar bonds, and getting to see that out of the normal basketball setting, is really great to see.

Jergens seemed inspired by the crowd and hype, and from the way he told his story, it seemed to him that the players that had grown up with March Madness were not as surprised by the attention, and many of the others talked about how they could hear the crowd during the game. All that to say, as someone that was at those games, you felt like the players were responding to crowd, and the louder we got, the better they played!

Maybe the "chemistry" and gelling at the right time was the main reason for success, but maybe part of the reason for some mid season inconsistencies, was the lack of fans all season. I would imagine that its just hard to play for a quiet arena, and wonder how much that played a factor over the season. I guarantee you that I will be doing all I can to bring people out to the games next year!

• Upvote 2