Coach Mills Signs Extension

Texasgrip

"He wants to capitalize on what has happened. The goal is to get to the final 4 - and listed other schools (Loyola, Butler, etc.) that have done that. "

This right here is why I love this guy. Why not? I seriously believe this guy will take us to the final four. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman has been around on this board for quite some time and I know that many of you guys probably think i am a nut job and I do admit that sometimes I do push the boundries of common decency...it's just how i am wired.....always been that way....but I think I have mellowed a bit in recent years....the past couple weeks of ORU basketball and the surrounding hoopla have really touched me in a transforming way.....I just watched the Mills Press Conference and I have never been prouder of my Alma Mater and how everything has been conducted the past month or so.....what a wonderful March it was and it's truly a Good Friday seeing how the Gospel of Christ has been spread all over this country by our basketball program and administration....this is what ORU is all about and it's what Oral himself wanted this University to accomplish.....bringing Christ to people thru sports who may never have a reason to listen.....we have all had our doubts about Coach Mills the past few years but after this....NO MORE.....this is a man of integrity and the guy I would want my grandkids playing for....He gets it and he gets ORU.....he deserves and has earned this new contract....praying he and his family stay in  Tulsa for a long time because this guy will recruit kids who want to play at a Christian university and will not only be basketball players but ambassadors for Christ.....God Bless, Paul Mills.....and TheEagleman has also been critical of Billy Wilson in the past but watching him root this team on and then step up and do what it took to help push the deal thru to keep the perfect coach for ORU and these kids.....it's just a beautiful thing and I have to say that even a crusty old guy like TheEagleman has shed a few tears over the past week......I am so proud of ORU and all of what we have seen over the past few weeks.....and people are noticing....friends, neighbors and passerbys in stores see my ORU gear and have good words to say about our team and our school.....this is what we all have hoped and prayed for....many many years.....TheEagleman honestly never thought he would live to see this.....God Bless ORU and let's keep it going!!   :tb-blue:

Well said Eagleman! Now if we can just talk about paragraphs . . . 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman has been around on this board for quite some time and I know that many of you guys probably think i am a nut job and I do admit that sometimes I do push the boundries of common decency...it's just how i am wired.....always been that way....but I think I have mellowed a bit in recent years....the past couple weeks of ORU basketball and the surrounding hoopla have really touched me in a transforming way.....I just watched the Mills Press Conference and I have never been prouder of my Alma Mater and how everything has been conducted the past month or so.....what a wonderful March it was and it's truly a Good Friday seeing how the Gospel of Christ has been spread all over this country by our basketball program and administration....this is what ORU is all about and it's what Oral himself wanted this University to accomplish.....bringing Christ to people thru sports who may never have a reason to listen.....we have all had our doubts about Coach Mills the past few years but after this....NO MORE.....this is a man of integrity and the guy I would want my grandkids playing for....He gets it and he gets ORU.....he deserves and has earned this new contract....praying he and his family stay in  Tulsa for a long time because this guy will recruit kids who want to play at a Christian university and will not only be basketball players but ambassadors for Christ.....God Bless, Paul Mills.....and TheEagleman has also been critical of Billy Wilson in the past but watching him root this team on and then step up and do what it took to help push the deal thru to keep the perfect coach for ORU and these kids.....it's just a beautiful thing and I have to say that even a crusty old guy like TheEagleman has shed a few tears over the past week......I am so proud of ORU and all of what we have seen over the past few weeks.....and people are noticing....friends, neighbors and passerbys in stores see my ORU gear and have good words to say about our team and our school.....this is what we all have hoped and prayed for....many many years.....TheEagleman honestly never thought he would live to see this.....God Bless ORU and let's keep it going!!  :tb-blue:

Extremely well said Eagleman.  As another “crusty old-timer” this is exactly what we saw as the mission of ORU as being, and like you, I thought that the best days of ORU were well behind us.  I have severely criticized  Mike Carter and Billy Wilson over their handling of the athletic department.  I WAS WRONG.  I did not have the faith to believe that we could recruit high talent/high character kids that could win - I saw it as a pipe dream.  

I am so proud of Coach Mills for putting together such a great group of guys that faithfully represents what we stand for as a school - both on and off the court.   I am pleased that the administration saw the value in athletic program and was willing to step-up and support it into the future.

Coach Mills' words on the Gospel Coalition article sums it up best...

"I’m all about gathering a group of young men whose desire is to honor God through their gift of basketball. We have accumulated a group of guys of whom that is true. They are representing themselves and their families. And we’re happy to do it on a national stage like the NCAA tournament presents."

Footnote https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/coaching-cinderella/