Coach Mills Signs Extension

Texasgrip

I believe there may be a Press Conference at 3:00 p.m. CDT today.  BTW, thanks for the 411 Voice.  Our statement to the rest of the Summit League, go big or go home.  With the incentives that could make the actual value of his contract have a ceiling of closer to $850K - $1 MM.  Not saying that as a fact, but if his base is $700K per year the incentives could really boost the overall value of the contract.  Finally, thanks to the University and the Athletic Department for making a commitment to our athletic programs.  Go Golden Eagles!

• Like 1

I’m impressed by Mills’ loyalty - and the administration’s/athletic department’s recognition of what has occurred. This team’s success has generated tremendous publicity & goodwill for the university. I have heard that enrollment  applications continue to go up. I have to think that fundraising will follow that trajectory. 

• Like 1

This is great news! Coach Mills seems like a good fit for ORU. It is great to see that Coach Mills wants to stay and that he is being rightly compensated. ORU becoming a household name by having a excellent basketball team will help the University in many positive ways. It appears Coach Mills can take us to the next level!

20 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I’m impressed by Mills’ loyalty - and the administration’s/athletic department’s recognition of what has occurred. This team’s success has generated tremendous publicity & goodwill for the university. I have heard that enrollment  applications continue to go up. I have to think that fundraising will follow that trajectory. 

In my sample size of 1, giving has skyrocketed. We just joined the Golden Eagle Club and put down a deposit on tickets for next year. I will buy 6 if they let me. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

More than I thought, but 7 year extension at $700,000 per year, plus incentives. 

Way to step up ORU!!!

20 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

In my sample size of 1, giving has skyrocketed. We just joined the Golden Eagle Club and put down a deposit on tickets for next year. I will buy 6 if they let me. 

I look forward to my Tulsa visits next winter. 🏀💪

So thankful that the university stepped up and did this deal. I'm more impressed with Coach Mills' character with every interview.

I encourage you to listen to the press conference. Dr. Wilson did a nice job with the introduction. 

Here are some highlights:

Mills acknowledged that the contract extension to 2029 will help with recruiting. Players and their families want to know you will be around (continuity)

Mills said that during their stay in NCAA bubble he asked former ORU greats to send short videos addressed to the team - including Caleb Green and Dominique Morrison. He said it is important for current players to understand and pay tribute to ORU’s rich basketball history.

Mills said he is from the south (Texas) his staff is from AR/OK/TX. That is where the recruiting focus will remain. His thoughts are that you get the best players and adjust your style based on the players 

He wants to capitalize on what has happened. The goal is to get to the final 4 - and listed other schools (Loyola, Butler, etc.) that have done that. 

Said he contacted JD Collins (NCAA head of officials) about the technical he received in the Arkansas game. Collins said it was a bad call, but Mills used too many arm motions.

I want to see the videos of former players addressing the team...

2 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I want to see the videos of former players addressing the team...

I would pay good money to see that...

Its a beautiful thing....this makes up for the Sutton debacle....🏀🏀🏀😁

Way to go Billy Wilson for seeing the value and making the investment!

Does this make Coach Mills the highest paid coach in ORU history?

Oh and Mike Boyton is a G!

Love that guy!