Trey Phipps

eagle88

They need to be careful and find the right match in terms of coaching staff, teammates and style of play. I wonder how some of these vagabond players will be viewed at their new school? Given some of the turnover, some of these teams will need name tags so the coaches will know who the players are. Interesting team dynamics. 

35 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Florida's coach got eviscerated nationally and in Gainesville for his strategy (or lack thereof) down the stretch in the Gators' first-round game vs. Virginia Tech, and against ORU. 

No doubt some of those players (and their fans) lost confidence in him in the process, or at least had previous suspicions dreadfully confirmed.

It never ceases to amaze how "losing to ORU" can be so devastating to a lot of larger schools.  I recall that in Bill Self's last year at ORU, we counted six victims from that season that parted ways with their coach.  Can only imagine that "losing to ORU" was listed by the powers-that-be as one of (if not THE) final straws in terminating the coach.

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Florida's coach got eviscerated nationally and in Gainesville for his strategy (or lack thereof) down the stretch in the Gators' first-round game vs. Virginia Tech, and against ORU. 

No doubt some of those players (and their fans) lost confidence in him in the process, or at least had previous suspicions dreadfully confirmed.

It never ceases to amaze how "losing to ORU" can be so devastating to a lot of larger schools.  I recall that in Bill Self's last year at ORU, we counted six victims from that season that parted ways with their coach.  Can only imagine that "losing to ORU" was listed by the powers-that-be as one of (if not THE) final straws in terminating the coach.

How difficult do you think it will be to convince non-conference teams to play us in the Mabee Center next season? 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

That'll teach 'em!

On 4/14/2021 at 2:24 PM, Old Titan said:

I can only imagine how a local guy like Thompson feels after seeing all the media attention paid to Max Abmas and ORU the past month.

After being so highly-touted in high school, then signing with a legendary program like Kansas, only to see his first year end with a fizzle?

Had to be watching March Madness and thinking, "THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!!"

Still could be, I suppose.  It was interesting to hear Mike Steely and Bill Haisten on The Sports Animal this morning, spending 5 minutes on the prospects of ORU getting Thompson and Brady Manek both.

Haisten downplayed it; I think he knows Thompson and Manek are both probably looking for the biggest stage possible that also provides an opportunity to play major minutes immediately.  Tulsa is lacking in the former category; Arkansas in the latter; plus the Big XII still has some rules about interleague transfers sitting out a year that might make OSU and OU problematic for each respectively.

I'm starting to think they might both end up playing farther away from the state than most folks are thinking...

On 4/14/2021 at 2:24 PM, Old Titan said:

I can only imagine how a local guy like Thompson feels after seeing all the media attention paid to Max Abmas and ORU the past month.

After being so highly-touted in high school, then signing with a legendary program like Kansas, only to see his first year end with a fizzle?

Had to be watching March Madness and thinking, "THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!!"

Still could be, I suppose.  It was interesting to hear Mike Steely and Bill Haisten on The Sports Animal this morning, spending 5 minutes on the prospects of ORU getting Thompson and Brady Manek both.

Haisten downplayed it; I think he knows Thompson and Manek are both probably looking for the biggest stage possible that also provides an opportunity to play major minutes immediately.  Tulsa is lacking in the former category; Arkansas in the latter; plus the Big XII still has some rules about interleague transfers sitting out a year that might make OSU and OU problematic for each respectively.

I'm starting to think they might both end up playing farther away from the state than most folks are thinking...

I I believe this will happen and Oru will be the new Gonzaga. Thank you for helping me even more certain about this especially adding Manek to the mix 

36 minutes ago, Keith said:

I I believe this will happen and Oru will be the new Gonzaga. Thank you for helping me even more certain about this especially adding Manek to the mix 

Cute...must admit I'm too tired right now to discern whether this is overoptimism or sarcasm.

Taking the high road:  Tulsa was Tulsa, Butler was Butler, Gonzaga is Gonzaga.

I'm guessing most ORU fans would be happy with ORU simply becoming the best version of ORU possible, as opposed to the "new" anywhere else.

Have to admit it must seem over optimistic for manek.  I truly believe Oru has proven to Thompson he can go first round or lottery out of oru. He can draw from the fact Gonzaga continues to prove elite despite the overall weakness of overall conference strength competition and schedule great non conference and be able to shine.  Oru always schedules hard every year anyway and have for as long as I’ve lived.  Phipps joining the eagles already had me excited to begin with.  Through in what any one who knows the Thompson’s just through rod you can tell family is BIG and918 is just as good as any to be with family.  Point is this Oru is at the cusps of great historic building process.  I just think it proves to say their is plenty of greatness to go around in not only Tulsa but Oklahoma as a state and recent history and past history and hopefully future history has only proven that time and again.  

I also knew Oru would play Ohio state in first round game before it was announced.  Guess the same way coach knew too.  I only picked one bracket.  Guess what had Arkansas playing Oru.  Unfortunately I did not pick Oru past 16.

As it pertains to Obanor and Abmas I would lean more towards the fact they will be back for 2021 because they are not you typical nba draft prospect in the fact they are very fundamental people from great families playing for an amazing university that offers world class experience.  Faith is everything!

If Abmas IS for sure coming back, and you have a 2nd-year freshman in Phipps who's a very similar type of guard, would Paul Mills even think of throwing a guy into the mix like Thompson right now, when he obviously has his eyes set on the NBA and would expect to be handed the keys to the kingdom at li'l ol' ORU?

Call me crazy, but would it be worth the potential disruption in the backcourt for this coming season?

• Upvote 2

Like they said in semi pro ele.  That means players working together to achieve and strive.  Those are the types of players that Oru has. The fact that they are nba caliber doesn’t change who they are and have been up to this point.  And about Thompson i say reference cade Cunningham at Osu they knew it was only for one year most likely but come one no one and I mean no one can and will pass on an option like that. You say Oru wouldn’t fit that everyone mentality because he’s a super recruit so that means he will be a total jerk and ruin team chemistry??  From what I’ve gathered Thompson is anything but that.  

tell me this.  Why was Tulsa the no 1 words associated with Thompson when he decided to transfer.????  I think you have to give a little more thought to this whole oru Bryce Thompson thing.  I’m just doing the math and putting my historical knowledge together on all this.

ive got more than 25 years of thorough sports knowledge of Oru plus more than 70+ years of overall personal or family intellectual institutional knowledge from oru from mail room to the top floor offices. I’m not evidently as loopy as you think my thoughts are.  I grew up in Tulsa. Playing all sports at top levels state had to offer. Also had great relationships with former great Oklahoma basketball prospects albeit from the mid 2000’s.   I follow all sports very well.  I remember rod doing football hs games as a an announcer or sideline reporter and you can tell he’s authentic their family is authentic he’s not your typical 5 star 

Before oru’s sweet 16 run your right none of what I said had a chance.  Things are different than they were already.  It’s happening that fast.  Paul mills is a cut from drew cloth which forgive me to say Valparaiso was good enough cloth for Baylor to turn too I’m referencing Drew’s dad at valaporaso

On 4/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, Old Titan said:

Brady Manek is being pursued by North Carolina; I get the feeling he may be looking for the largest stage possible, such as Chapel Hill, for his final college season.

I really should be charging for this kind of premium content... 🤣

• Like 1

• 4 months later...