Trey Phipps

eagle88

A couple of other interesting names of formal local guys  in the transfer portal. 

Caleb Huffman- 6'4 Junior guard originally from Broken Arrow. 13.3 PPG and 34% 3 point shooter for Central Michigan

Ethan Chargois - 6'9 big from Union. 8.8 PPG and 5 reb along with 31% from 3. He is a senior and looks like his minutes have dropped from earlier in his career.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

Anyone know if we have a realistic shot at Thompson?

His parents both starred at Tulsa; it's where he should have gone in the first place; he's frankly not good enough to start at a place like Kansas. 

He could be a pseudo-star at a mid-major like Tulsa... 😉

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Bryce Thompson is leaving Kansas, heading into the transfer portal.

I doubt Self is very upset about this one as he is trying to load up on transfer guards right now. 

I am sure Bryce got the message. 🙂

15 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

His parents both starred at Tulsa; it's where he should have gone in the first place; he's frankly not good enough to start at a place like Kansas. 

He could be a pseudo-star at a mid-major like Tulsa... 😉

Yep. I would assume that is where will end up as i think he got the hint from Self and as you stated that is a good level for him. 

You know they don't like being called a mid major!:) 

18 hours ago, darrenj said:

You know they don't like being called a mid major!:) 

Ya don’t say? 🤣

In lieu of a transfer portal thread, this seems as good a place as any for a couple of updates involving players of local interest (feel free to move it elsewhere, Doc, as you see fit)

• Bryce Thompson is not necessarily a lock to Tulsa; OU, OSU, and Arkansas are all interested. 
  • Brady Manek is being pursued by North Carolina; I get the feeling he may be looking for the largest stage possible, such as Chapel Hill, for his final college season.
  • ORU is rumored to be actively pursuing at least one or two P5 transfer players; probably having to wait a bit until the larger schools fill their rosters in this nationwide game of musical chairs. 

The rush of players into the transfer portal, along with the extra year granted players because of COVID-19, has created an interesting upheaval in high school/juco recruiting. How many players who entered the portal will find themselves without a place to land - unless there is a spot or willingness to be received back at the school they left. And how many high school/juco players are going to be left out because there is no room on rosters? Some of these players will have to go ‘down’ a level as the P5 schools load up on transfers. Recruits might want to sign quick in case their options are shut off. I don’t think this will get settled out until late summer - or until school starts in the Fall. 

Interesting that Thompson did not immediately name TU as his destination. He still might, but the delay indicates he is entertaining offers. 

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

In lieu of a transfer portal thread, this seems as good a place as any for a couple of updates involving players of local interest (feel free to move it elsewhere, Doc, as you see fit)

• Bryce Thompson is not necessarily a lock to Tulsa; OU, OSU, and Arkansas are all interested. 
  • Brady Manek is being pursued by North Carolina; I get the feeling he may be looking for the largest stage possible, such as Chapel Hill, for his final college season.
  • ORU is rumored to be actively pursuing at least one or two P5 transfer players; probably having to wait a bit until the larger schools fill their rosters in this nationwide game of musical chairs. 

Well OSU has a nice spot paying $200,000 per year if his dad is interested in coaching..:) 

What do you think of him as a player? Just saw him a few times with KU and just don't remember much about him. 

I bet in the end ORU will get at least 2 players that will be instant contributors next year which is needed for depth if nothing else.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, darrenj said:

What do you think of him as a player? Just saw him a few times with KU and just don't remember much about him. 

Overrated; but with an interesting upside.  He's just not truly "McDonald's-All-American-5-Star" good right now, despite all his prep accolades.

Taller shooting guard with a beautiful but somewhat streaky shot; does not stand out as a great defender, ball handler, or rebounder.  If you're a Shake Milton fan, he's not as good a shooter or ball handler, but somewhat similar style.

Bryce Thompson
Season School Conf G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS   SOS
2020-21 Kansas Big 12 20 4 17.1 1.8 5.1 .353 1.4 3.3 .424 0.4 1.8 .222 0.6 0.9 .647 0.3 1.3 1.5 1.1 0.4 0.2 1.1 1.5 4.6   10.26
Career Kansas   20 4 17.1 1.8 5.1 .353 1.4 3.3 .424 0.4 1.8 .222 0.6 0.9 .647 0.3 1.3 1.5 1.1 0.4 0.2 1.1 1.5 4.6   10.26

Trey Phipps
Season School Conf G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS   SOS
2020-21 Oklahoma Big 12 16 0 7.5 0.8 2.4 .342 0.1 0.4 .286 0.7 1.9 .355 0.3 0.4 .667 0.1 0.6 0.8 0.4 0.3 0.1 0.3 0.4 2.6   8.86
Career Oklahoma   16 0 7.5 0.8 2.4 .342 0.1 0.4 .286 0.7 1.9 .355 0.3 0.4 .667 0.1 0.6 0.8 0.4 0.3 0.1 0.3 0.4 2.6   8.86

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Any specific names you have heard about?

33 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Any specific names you have heard about?

Nope, just heard they’re shopping in the portal, which must look something like this right now:

Rave Crowd GIF

This is something Bryce said in a Tulsa World article today:

A frequently mentioned possibility is his parents’ alma mater. TU, which coveted Thompson out of high school, has never signed a five-star player.

“I wouldn’t say that (family connection) puts them ahead,” he said. “I had a relationship with KU and that didn’t turn out as well (as I hoped). I definitely have a good relationship with coach (Frank) Haith and coach Shea (Seals) and the whole staff, but I don’t know that I can necessarily put them above anybody else because of that.”

The other hometown school is Oral Roberts, which is coming off a Sweet Sixteen appearance and is the landing spot for Thompson’s high school teammate Trey Phipps after transferring from Oklahoma.

“I’m not ruling anybody out at this point,” Thompson said. “That’s a good school. They had a phenomenal run in the tournament, and that’s something that you have to respect.”

I can only imagine how a local guy like Thompson feels after seeing all the media attention paid to Max Abmas and ORU the past month.

After being so highly-touted in high school, then signing with a legendary program like Kansas, only to see his first year end with a fizzle?

Had to be watching March Madness and thinking, "THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!!"

Still could be, I suppose.  It was interesting to hear Mike Steely and Bill Haisten on The Sports Animal this morning, spending 5 minutes on the prospects of ORU getting Thompson and Brady Manek both.

Haisten downplayed it; I think he knows Thompson and Manek are both probably looking for the biggest stage possible that also provides an opportunity to play major minutes immediately.  Tulsa is lacking in the former category; Arkansas in the latter; plus the Big XII still has some rules about interleague transfers sitting out a year that might make OSU and OU problematic for each respectively.

I'm starting to think they might both end up playing farther away from the state than most folks are thinking...