Final Four

eagle88

After watching Michigan  vs UCLA last night it made me appreciate how much fun it is to watch ORU play! I would describe the game last night as brutal. Both teams demonstrated very poor team play and the shooting was horrendous. No wonder Coach Mills said this year's team has been his favorite. Being unselfish and having good shooters made us fun to watch! ORU became the darling of March Madness and captured the hearts of many across our Nation and now it is easy to see why.  The Golden Eagles had a unique personality and created a brand that became contagious! Get ready for a boring matchup and probable blowout between Gonzaga and UCLA. The Baylor- Houston game should be a bit better. The NCAA needs ORU back next year to help up their ratings!

UCLA came out of nowhere to make the final four!  Winning five games and being one of the last teams picked for the tourney.  As they say, that is what makes March Madness, March Madness!

ORU's "shoot threes and ask questions later" style-of-play that I was so critical of earlier in the season (and last season as well) lends itself well to NCAA play, where defense in the lane is like an MMA fight. 

It's a lot easier to just shoot over all that mass of humanity in the paint, and if you manage to hit a few 3's, it spreads the defense and opens lanes to drive to the basket.

Many of the so-called high majors go for size-over-shooting in recruiting and can not effectively run such an offense, and in tournament play are relegated to forcing shots from all over and hoping for the best on the offensive rebounds with their height advantage.

Makes for very ugly TV viewing, to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Baylor was very impressive tonight with their dominant performance leading wire to wire versus undefeated Gongaza.  Hopefully Coach Mills can continue to learn from his old head coach Scott Drew.  What is so impressive about the Bears is their aggressive defense and strong depth at the guard position.  They had three or four stud guards who could start on any team in the nation.  Which says to me, ORU needs to get a couple more guards to help Max in the backcourt.  Championship teams always have strong guard play.

• Like 1

Baylor completely dominated a very good Gonzaga team. Drew found a hole in the Zags defense; the middle was mostly open after the switch up top. Forced them to go zone. On top of that, the Bears made shots. Gonzaga couldn’t find any rhythm because of Baylor’s tenacious defense. And Vital just dominated the boards for Baylor. Not the tallest kid, but great position and desire 

I was surprised at how the Zags missed so many free throws. Also found the officiating sub par. Lots of missed/bad calls - against both teams. 

• Upvote 1

Very happy for Scott Drew and the Bears. They looked incredible last night as every time Gonzaga made a run Baylor had an answer. 2 great teams last night with classy coaches! Definitely a good reflection on college basketball. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Also found the officiating sub par. Lots of missed/bad calls - against both teams. 

LOL. Two words:  Bo Boroski.

The most over-rated official in all of college basketball; how he keeps getting big-game assignments such as last night is beyond me.

He was terrible in the Mid-Con, he was/is just as bad in the Big 10 where he’s spent the past decade+, and he was awful again last night.  Horribly inconsistent. 

17 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LOL. Two words:  Bo Boroski.

The most over-rated official in all of college basketball; how he keeps getting big-game assignments such as last night is beyond me.

He was terrible in the Mid-Con, he was/is just as bad in the Big 10 where he’s spent the past decade+, and he was awful again last night.  Horribly inconsistent. 

Ha!  My boys pointed him out and referenced several of his questionable calls - including one where he was the farthest official from the play. 

Last nights game was only the second non ORU game I have watched this year, Ohio State vs. Illinois big 10 championship being the other. 

The feel of the game, to a certain degree reminded me of the ORU NCAA games. I don't know if you could actually chalk that up to coaching style, or matchups or just my imagination, but Baylor's offense seemed to set the pace for the game, and Gonzaga had so much trouble getting in to a flow in the half court offense.

Baylor does spread the court out and has multiple players who can shoot the three. Vital is there for rebounds and defense. We need a high motor guy like that. They don’t pick and pop like we do, but pass the ball well and look for the open guy. 

Congrats to Baylor on a well earned victory over Gonzaga last night.....Zags would have been the first undefeated NCAA Mens Champion since my graduation year of 1976 when Indiana and Bobby Knight accomplished that feat......that Bears win also cost TheEagleman a victory in one of my bracket pools....oh well.....it's only money.....😉

3 hours ago, EagleFanatic said:

Last nights game was only the second non ORU game I have watched this year, Ohio State vs. Illinois big 10 championship being the other. 

The feel of the game, to a certain degree reminded me of the ORU NCAA games. I don't know if you could actually chalk that up to coaching style, or matchups or just my imagination, but Baylor's offense seemed to set the pace for the game, and Gonzaga had so much trouble getting in to a flow in the half court offense.

When Baylor got 3 offensive rebounds on the very 1rst possession you knew the Zags were in for a long night! Timme is the only big for them and he just wasn't enough. The Baylor guards really outplayed the Zags guards and they kept getting the high pick and roll with Timme having to try to cover a guard. Not a great situation for Gonzaga. 

Baylor is a great defensive team and like they said Gonzaga has a high scoring team but Baylor's team works out with the football team!:) Big difference in physicality last night. 

3 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Baylor does spread the court out and has multiple players who can shoot the three. Vital is there for rebounds and defense. We need a high motor guy like that. They don’t pick and pop like we do, but pass the ball well and look for the open guy. 

They have 2 or 3 guards that will be 1rst round draft picks and those guys were unstoppable last night. Gonzaga switches all picks and that is bad news against those guards as Timme was no match for them when that happened. 

I think they hit 14 3s and when they missed they just kept getting offensive rebounds. 

Baylor is the most physical team i saw all year and just beat the Zags up last night. 

2 minutes ago, darrenj said:

Gonzaga switches all picks and that is bad news against those guards as Timme was no match for them when that happened. 

I think they hit 14 3s and when they missed they just kept getting offensive rebounds. 

No idea why they kept switching and leaving Timme on an island like that.

Just now, Dr. Cornelius said:

No idea why they kept switching and leaving Timme on an island like that.

That is the defense they always play and usually always man to man. He is ok against most teams but definitely wasn't last night. The bad part is even when they missed they just kept getting the offensive boards. 

Zags are really small this year as they start Krispert at the 4 and he is really a small forward or guard.  Didn't hurt them until Baylor.:) 

That was the worse matchup for them going into the tourney and they probably knew it. 

It went south very quickly!:) Baylor would have beaten anyone last night playing like that.  

We all knew Baylor has a great defense but their offense was equally as good last night. I watched them quite a bit this year and their offense especially last night shifted into another gear! Had the offense played average it might have been a much closer game. Congrats to Baylor on an incredible accomplishment! Lets believe this can happen at ORU! Before March Madness I would not have thought this was possible but I do now!!

• Upvote 1