Moving Forward

eagle88

I know our run is not over and by  winning tomorrow night ORU will make history by being the first 15 seed to make the Elite 8! While savoring every moment of this incredible run I cant help but predict that moving on from here the future of ORU basketball will be bright. Unlike past decades of ORU's success things were not always done correctly. Seeing how the University is being run on Godly and sound principles I predict that the success we are experiencing will be sustained. We may have ups and downs like every good program but we will be on a steady incline. I am more excited about the direction and success of the University and this March Madness run has been a tremendous catalyst!

The biggest challenge for ORU basketball will be how they handle being the hunted instead of the hunter.  Next year they will get everyone's best shot because ORU is a sweet 16 team or maybe better (we shall see) this year.  Of course the Dakota teams will also want to get revenge in the Summit League next year.  The Eagles will go from having nothing to lose to the pressure to win/live up to higher standards.  

7 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

I know our run is not over and by  winning tomorrow night ORU will make history by being the first 15 seed to make the Elite 8! While savoring every moment of this incredible run I cant help but predict that moving on from here the future of ORU basketball will be bright. Unlike past decades of ORU's success things were not always done correctly. Seeing how the University is being run on Godly and sound principles I predict that the success we are experiencing will be sustained. We may have ups and downs like every good program but we will be on a steady incline. I am more excited about the direction and success of the University and this March Madness run has been a tremendous catalyst!

This is all assuming ORU is able to retain the coaching staff.

Dominos falling all around us right now:

• Lon Kruger retiring at Oklahoma
  • Shaka Smart fleeing Texas to Marquette
  • Eric Musselman from Arkansas or Scott Drew from Baylor top two candidates for Indiana
  • North Texas coach Grant McCasland bound to get one of those jobs
  • Bill Self poised to bolt KU for an NBA job in a couple of months. 

Gonna be an interesting off-season for sure!

37 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Dominos falling all around us right now:

• Lon Kruger retiring at Oklahoma
  • Shaka Smart fleeing Texas to Marquette
  • Eric Musselman from Arkansas or Scott Drew from Baylor top two candidates for Indiana
  • North Texas coach Grant McCasland bound to get one of those jobs
  • Bill Self poised to bolt KU for an NBA job in a couple of months. 

Gonna be an interesting off-season for sure!

Wondering if Self is trying to get out. Can't see him getting same level in college. He had been rumored years back as far as the Spurs but i don't think Pop would go for that. I think he will want one of his coaches to follow him. I know Buford has connections to Self but Pop makes all the decisions on that team. 

Musselman and Beard will be on the short list for TX. I think Musselman wants to go NBA if possible. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

This is all assuming ORU is able to retain the coaching staff.

How much can they pay Mills? $500K a year or is that out of their ballpark? 

1 minute ago, darrenj said:

How much can they pay Mills? $500K a year or is that out of their ballpark? 

Whatever the number is, it won't be enough if:

• Practically anyone else in D1 wants him, and
  • He finds that particular situation attractive

Heck, North Texas could probably outbid ORU for Mills services, once McCasland leaves in a few weeks for OU, Texas, or Texas Tech. 

Would just be a matter for Mills of "could I get a better* gig somewhere else by waiting till next year?"

*whatever his definition of "better" is...

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Whatever the number is, it won't be enough if:

• Practically anyone else in D1 wants him, and
  • He finds that particular situation attractive

Heck, North Texas could probably outbid ORU for Mills services, once McCasland leaves in a few weeks for OU, Texas, or Texas Tech. 

Would just be a matter for Mills of "could I get a better* gig somewhere else by waiting till next year?"

*whatever his definition of "better" is...

Supposedly McCasland is first up at OU right now. We will see if TX can get Beard to come. He already makes close to $ 5 million at Tech and TX can't pay him over that as Football coach makes that. 

I bet N. TX would be in the $600k to $800K range for the next coach. 

7 minutes ago, darrenj said:

We will see if TX can get Beard to come. He already makes close to $ 5 million at Tech and TX can't pay him over that as Football coach makes that. 

I think that’s precisely why Tech pays Beard as much as they do. They wanted to make it as difficult as possible for Texas, or anyone else for that matter, to take him. They had to have an eye on Texas though since their MO in many sports is to take the hot Texas based coach at the lower tier school. (Yes I know we can argue whether Texas Tech is a lower tier school than Texas in basketball)

3 minutes ago, darrenj said:

Yep. Can they get there now? Might be what it takes. 

Y’all all need to be shopping at Hobby Lobby this weekend. 

• Haha 2

Like it or not...if ORU wins again vs. Arkansas (and we just might) then we ARE in the big time....heck, Sweet 16 already has national attention....Coach Mills and his staff all need big salary bumps for what they have done and yeah, it's possible we could lose Mills...if so....PLEASE HIRE SPRINGMAN!!!.....he has earned the chance.....Bozeman not a bad choice either.....the next few days are gonna very very interesting!!! :tb-white:

57 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Y’all all need to be shopping at Hobby Lobby this weekend. 

“GET ME MART GREEN!!!”

black and white vintage GIF by FilmStruck

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, darrenj said:

Supposedly McCasland is first up at OU right now. We will see if TX can get Beard to come. He already makes close to $ 5 million at Tech and TX can't pay him over that as Football coach makes that. 

I bet N. TX would be in the $600k to $800K range for the next coach. 

I’ve heard Dana Altman mentioned for the OU job as well. That would almost certainly result in another mid-major job opening up, when Oregon has to find a replacement. 

For Indiana, both Musselman and Drew could be possibilities. The fact that Indiana hasn’t hired anyone yet makes one think that they’re waiting on someone who is still coaching. 

I don’t see North Texas as a possibility for Coach Mills. It’s a lateral move, IMO. I think he only leaves for a definitive step up. If he were to leave, I imagine the pool of candidates ORU could attract is much bigger now than when he was hired.