Watching game film

EagleFanatic

I have noticed the players in post game interviews mention "the coaches will watch a lot of film, and they will come up with a good game plan".

Is this normal for coaches to exclude players from watching film, or is this just Mills coaching philosophy? 

I think he meant the coaches will watch a lot lot of film, before they watch and break down the film with us.

so they still watch film with the players, but they just do a lot of hw before

It’s always a question of time and access.

During the season, when games are bunched together, guys have classes, and practice time is figuratively and literally limited, there is not as much time for teams to watch film as a group like we may all remember doing in days of old for basketball and/or football. 

“Back in my day” (eye roll) an assistant coach was assigned to do “the scout” on an opponent, and he would pull together whatever written and video info he could on that team, which the staff would then use to formulate a game plan.

That game plan was then presented to the team during on-the-floor practices and in what was called “the film room” (doubt that’s what it’s called now). Those film room seesions would include visual instruction on a white board or screen, and whatever video there was time and availability to watch. 

But now, and particularly in THIS tournament, they have SO much more time on their hands, and SO many more resources to gather so much data, there is no telling how much video the coaches AND players have watched. I mean, it beats watching soap operas in the hotel room.

Suffice it to say that our guys and the Hogs are probably so used to watching each other on video, they could run each other’s offenses in their sleep by now. 

• Upvote 1