Trey Phipps in Transfer Portal

Old Titan

Son of former ORU assistant coach Conley Phipps; would not be surprised if he winds up at TU, Arkansas, ORU, or somewhere else close to home:

Can't imagine him going to TU with the Haith situation being so tenuous. Can't imaging him going to Arky, as they are loaded and not sure he'd get a lot of minutes. 

OSU maybe, due to the Sutton connection? 

He was never going to play at OU. It was his favorite school as it was for Conley.

Would he play a lot at OSU next year? Like 15 minutes a game? Is that enough? 

He would be the best shooter on Tulsa's team next year but surely they are going to fire Haith if he doesn't make tourney next year. ( They won't)

Now if he wants a ton of wide open looks he should come to ORU!) 

Does anyone know if Phipps can/will play defense? Id he just a spot up shooter, or can he create shots?

ORU would seem to be a team he would consider given our penchant for shooting three pointers.

Would also not be surprised to see Booker T's Bryce Thompson announce he's leaving Kansas after one year. 

Had to be a nightmare playing in Lawrence this year, and the NCAA may still lower the boom on that program.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. The Kansas situation is a dumpster fire. Will be interesting to see what Thompson does. I assume that if he changes location, he will stay relatively close so his family can watch him. 

17 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Does anyone know if Phipps can/will play defense? Id he just a spot up shooter, or can he create shots?

ORU would seem to be a team he would consider given our penchant for shooting three pointers.

I am not sure defense is his strong point.:)  The Tulsa guy thinks he is ORU bound. 

He can really shoot it. Probably a better player now after a year in the weight room and playing at that level in practice. 

I would think he would be a take for ORU for sure. Heck, he would be the best shooter on Tulsa's team by far!:) Which isn't saying a lot. 

Phipps was a star in high school.  Does he not think he could earn enough minutes at OU next year?

17 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Would also not be surprised to see Booker T's Bryce Thompson announce he's leaving Kansas after one year. 

Had to be a nightmare playing in Lawrence this year, and the NCAA may still lower the boom on that program.

I don't think it would break Self's heart if Thompson left. 

Kansas will try to bring in a ton of transfers this spring for next year. They are in the final group for guard  Tyson Walker of Northeastern who averaged 19 pts a game. He is deciding this weekend. 

Just now, darrenj said:

I don't think it would break Self's heart if Thompson left. 

Kansas will try to bring in a ton of transfers this spring for next year. They are in the final group for guard  Tyson Walker of Northeastern who averaged 19 pts a game. He is deciding this weekend. 

Saw that Self offered UMKC's star guard McKissic

2 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Phipps was a star in high school.  Does he not think he could earn enough minutes at OU next year?

I dont think he was ever going to start at OU. What is enough minutes? 10 to 12 minutes a game?  Some guys are ok with that. Most aren't. 

Just now, Dr. Cornelius said:

Saw that Self offered UMKC's star guard McKissic

Yes sir. Self is going all in on transfers this off season. I would not be surprised if Bryce Thompson is getting the message also. 

Just now, Dr. Cornelius said:

The number going into the portal is absurd. Not sure what the NCAA can do though, without totally screwing the players. 

Phipps would be a sweet pickup if we could get him. 

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

Yeah, Self is looking for new guards all over:

Yea.. I am assuming you are right in that Bryce Thompson will be hitting the transfer portal soon. I bet he is getting the message loud and clear.:) I don't know how he couldn't be!

Maybe Tulsa bound? Or Ark? 

4 minutes ago, darrenj said:

I dont think he was ever going to start at OU. What is enough minutes? 10 to 12 minutes a game?  Some guys are ok with that. Most aren't. 

It's ironic:  Trey's dad Conley went through the same ordeal at OU 40 years ago with Billy Tubbs; ended up transferring to NSU where he filled it up for Ken Hayes' Redmen (now RiverHawks).

Bryce Thompson to TU if he decided to transfer would make a lot of sense. I do not expect Phipps to end up at ORU.

40 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Bryce Thompson to TU if he decided to transfer would make a lot of sense. I do not expect Phipps to end up at ORU.

Those would be good levels for both guys.