About that story today on a USAToday website...

Old Titan

Folks, there's a story on a USAToday website today that I have linked below, with one writer's opinion about ORU in general, and ORU's honor code in particular. 

It's an opinion piece that was bound to be written sooner or later, particularly since there is so much time between games this week, and ORU is an easy target for columnists needing content and craving attention.

It may become a "thing" nationally in the near future; it may not.  It probably will not be the last article, or podcast, or whatever in this vein before Saturday night.

This article may make you angry. 

You may be tempted to verbally go after the messenger, who upon close inspection might appear an easy target.

My advice:  don't take the bait.

Don't be goaded into sounding like the very stereotypes described in the article (as so many of the commenters on this Twitter post have failed to do).

Take comfort in your beliefs, stand strong in your convictions, and be thankful that we live in a free society where everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it makes your blood boil.

Most of all, let's not let our responses on this forum become a story in and of itself.

EVERYONE on this forum has done such a great job this week, serving as an example of what we all aspire to be as fans of this athletic program, and supporters of this school.

Let's prove to that small but significant portion of the college basketball world that visits our forum daily that we are better than this sort of thing.  #RiseAboveIt

• Old Titan changed the title to About that story today on a USAToday website...

Yes good point OT.  God will get a lot of glory out of this but their will also be some spiritual warfare.  People will be stirred up to fight against what God is doing.  As we know it goes with the territory.

1 minute ago, ORUalum said:

saw it earlier today.....was just surprised it took two days

Me too.  Typically, this sort of thing is lazy journalism when it comes to covering ORU.  Kind of like 900-foot Jesus jokes.

Not so much, in this case - simply misguided, misinformed, and frankly, poorly written.

USA Today....lol....let's face it....it's a miracle that paper still even exists....as a Communications Major at ORU back in the day we all know that USA today is a joke....TheEagleman hasn't read it in years and would never spend the $2 or whatever they charge to buy it....agree to just let the article go and let them have their say....USA Today not the first media outlet and won't be the last to take shots at ORU and our beliefs.....that writer needs prayer....so TheEagleman will say a special one for her tonight.....Proud of my Alma Mater to still stand tall in its' belief in the Lord and a Godly Lifestyle.....God Bless ORU and Go Blue!!!...:tb-blue:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Based on the way the link in the post at the top of this thread is loading, it appears the author may have deleted her Tweet promoting the article.

That, or Twitter took it down...

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Based on the way the link in the post at the top of this thread is loading, it appears the author may have deleted her Tweet promoting the article.

That, or Twitter took it down...

A quick web search doesn't even list an article about ORUBB on USA Today in the last two days...

EDIT: early yesterday, but not the story in question.

Edited by Texasgrip
clarification

Perhaps this particular editorial isn’t the feel good March Madness story we need right now?

9 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

A quick web search doesn't even list an article about ORUBB on USA Today in the last two days...

EDIT: early yesterday, but not the story in question.

If you go to ftw.usatoday.com this story is near the bottom of the page. I had to hit page down 2 or 3 times before I saw it. Based on the comments I saw on Twitter many are responding unfavorably to this opinion piece fwiw. 

Thanks, Otis. I found it. I'd never heard of the FTW column before. 

OT basically nailed it on the head above.

Thanks Texas Grip. I couldn't find it.

After OT's initial comments, I expected to be upset/angry after reading the article. But, I'm not. I mean, if we were Akmed Abdullah University that held fundamental Muslim beliefs (about homosexuality and other things), the article would have never been written and nary a word from the media. 

They scream TOLERANCE and DIVERSITY OF THOUGHT...as long as you think exactly the way they think. 

15 hours ago, Old Titan said:

and be thankful that we live in a free society where everyone is entitled to their opinion

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

For now 😄.

But yes, it's good advice to simply ignore the corporate press - most people (even those with extreme opposing views) have more in common with each other than the media would like us to believe.

*Moved this thread to 'Free For All' so it doesn't distract from basketball

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

Thanks Texas Grip. I couldn't find it.

After OT's initial comments, I expected to be upset/angry after reading the article. But, I'm not. I mean, if we were Akmed Abdullah University that held fundamental Muslim beliefs (about homosexuality and other things), the article would have never been written and nary a word from the media. 

They scream TOLERANCE and DIVERSITY OF THOUGHT...as long as you think exactly the way they think. 

1 hour ago, Texasgrip said: