"Congratulations To ORU" (TU Basketball forum thread)

Old Titan

Interesting conversation taking place on the TU Basketball forum, ranging from sincere-to-begrudging acknowledgements of ORU's win Tuesday night, the current state of college basketball in the city, differences in TU and ORU recruiting efforts, etc.

Congratulations to ORU (InsideTulsaSports forums)

Tough time for TU fans right now; with every other D1 team in the region making the dance this year (OU, OSU, ORU, Arkansas).

TU and their fans = 🤡🤡🤡

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Tough time for TU fans right now; with every other D1 team in the region making the dance this year (OU, OSU, ORU, Arkansas).

Good. Most out of touch fan base in all of college sports. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Good. Most out of touch fan base in all of college sports. 

That thread is hilarious! Highly recommend checking it out. 😆

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

That thread is hilarious! Highly recommend checking it out. 😆

I read it and got so frustrated.  "We don't even recruit from the same player pool." 

LOL....

34 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

I read it and got so frustrated.  "We don't even recruit from the same player pool." 

LOL....

It's true though. TU doesn't recruit players who can shoot. 😆

• Haha 2

It's a bit of a stretch to suggest there is such a vast gap in the type of players the two schools target.  While TU Basketball (and its Rivals.com forum moderator) may take pride in offering higher-profile high school players, it appears at the end of the day that their roster does not reflect much fruit for their efforts, and is instead filled with the same kind of diamond-in-the-rough juco and D1 transfer prospects that populate so many college rosters these days, including ORU's.

That sort of "win now" roster building is not historically conducive to well-meshed units, as TU's record this year bears out:  wildly erratic, and seemingly still searching for an identity, even as they enter tournament play in March.

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

It's a bit of a stretch to suggest there is such a vast gap in the type of players the two schools target.  While TU Basketball (and its Rivals.com forum moderator) may take pride in offering higher-profile high school players, it appears at the end of the day that their roster does not reflect much fruit for their efforts, and is instead filled with the same kind of diamond-in-the-rough juco and D1 transfer prospects that populate so many college rosters these days, including ORU's.

That sort of "win now" roster building is not historically conducive to well-meshed units, as TU's record this year bears out:  wildly erratic, and seemingly still searching for an identity, even as they enter tournament play in March.

Outside of the Top 50 rankings are meaningless. What was Max ranked coming out of high school? What about Bergens?

What ever happened to the game this year? Who cancelled? Was there any attempt to make it up? I guess now that I think about it, I don't know that I heard of any games being postponed and then made up. 

I thought it was interesting that they talked about hiring our coach away from ORU. And when they talk about not recruiting the same kind of players as ORU, I think they're referring to our "whole person" emphasis--looking for players who will be in line with our Honor Code and will attend chapel, etc., and be good with it.

1 hour ago, titansforever said:

I thought it was interesting that they talked about hiring our coach away from ORU. And when they talk about not recruiting the same kind of players as ORU, I think they're referring to our "whole person" emphasis--looking for players who will be in line with our Honor Code and will attend chapel, etc., and be good with it.

No, Chris Harmon, the Rivals.com moderator from TU, is strictly talking about “star ratings”. He covers TU recruiting for football and basketball and is obsessed with how prospects are ranked nationally.

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

No, Chris Harmon, the Rivals.com moderator from TU, is strictly talking about “star ratings”. He covers TU recruiting for football and basketball and is obsessed with how prospects are ranked nationally.

Thanks for the clarification, OT. I think, though, that some of the TU fans probably think that we recruit a "different" kind of player. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Trying to make his product look important/meaningful.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SpaceManSpiff said:

Trying to make his product look important/meaningful.

Yep, it's a Rivals.com website with a premium-content paywall; understandable that the emphasis would be on where kids rank in the so-called "star" system, particularly in football.

But from the TU Basketball coaching staff standpoint, you just wonder if maybe a little more effort into "passing the eye test" would reap better returns than stressing the RivalsTop150 list.

Those guys are a riot.  Thanks for sharing OT.  Not sure what was more humorous.

1.  The player development is different from recruiting and somehow ORU doing a better job at player development is better than ORU outrecruiting TU.

2. The TU recruits in a different pool so there's no way ORU out recruited TU.  If ORU recruits better talent isn't that winning?  Apparently not.

3.  The "I have no respect for ORU and they do nothing well but let's steal their coach again" aspects to the thread.

It's all good stuff and thoroughly entertaining.  I have respect for the brave souls who actually gave us props and discussed our program objectively rather than with jealously masked in derision.

No. 7 Tulsa falls to No. 10 Tulane 77-70 in first-round AAC tournament play this afternoon.  Golden Hurricane finishes the year 12-13 overall, 7-9 in league play.

I had forgotten that crazy ol' Ron Hunter from IUPUI coaches Tulane; he is still a hoot.

Perfect finish for TU basketball.....😝

16 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

No. 7 Tulsa falls to No. 10 Tulane 77-70 in first-round AAC tournament play this afternoon.  Golden Hurricane finishes the year 12-13 overall, 7-9 in league play.

I had forgotten that crazy ol' Ron Hunter from IUPUI coaches Tulane; he is still a hoot.

Ron Hunter is a good coach. IUPUI, Georgia St., and now Tulane... he can build a program.