Bright future for ORU!

Keenan Henderson

Even though the freshmen did not play much this season, Burgens got to go against Max in practice and Plet/Clover got to battle K.O. too. So that should help these young guys in the future (still bright)

March 2021 has been one of the most memorable periods of my nearly 50 years as an ORU fan, and there is certainly great hope for the future of the ORU basketball program.  And, I absolutely believe that the Sweet Sixteen run will provide a huge amount of positive momentum for ORU and ORU Athletics that will lead to even GREATER opportunities in the future.  That said, I am also trying to focus on "enjoying the moment" for what it is, and savoring the magical memories of the past month.

I remember the optimism after the 1983-84 season, when ORU finished with a 21-10 record and reached the dance for the first time since the 1974 Elite Eight appearance, but drew a difficult matchup in the tourney, hanging tough but losing to Memphis in Memphis (which was before the NCAA banned home court advantages).  With most of the team (including both Acres brothers) returning for the 1984-85 season, the future seemed very bright for ORU, with an opportunity to reestablish the ORU brand as a consistent NCAA tournament team.  The ORU marketing department slogan for the 1984-85 season of "This IS Next Year" echoed the optimism from the fan base.  Despite all of the momentum, ORU limped to a 15-15 record and third place in the MCC, ending the season in the conference tourney.  Although ORU had never endured consecutive losing seasons in its short history up to that point, the next FOUR years ended with losing records, and the fifth year found the program in the NAIA ranks.  So much for the positive momentum...

This is a different era, a different team and a different coaching staff, so I don't believe ORU will face the same trend as was experienced in the 80's.  But, even if it takes another 47 years for ORU to win another NCAA tourney game (which I don't think it will), this has been a VERY special year, proudly watching a GREAT group of quality young men and a tremendous coaching staff "using their God-given abilities for God-given reasons".  And that is what ORU Athletics is ALL about! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Remembering the 84-85 season, I think the slogan on the posters was “Next Year is Here.”  I don’t remember why that team didn’t live up to the previous year’s accomplishments.  It was the beginning of the end for Dick Acres.

16 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Remembering the 84-85 season, I think the slogan on the posters was “Next Year is Here.”  I don’t remember why that team didn’t live up to the previous year’s accomplishments.  It was the beginning of the end for Dick Acres.

They play a tough nonconference schedule and loyola had a great team sweet 16   mayb they missed mcgees D mark arces was in foul trouble a lot

Happy Easter and Resurrection Sunday! Jesus is alive.  Go Golden Eagles

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Happy Easter and Resurrection Sunday! Jesus is alive.  Go Golden Eagles

Amen to that!