ORU at LSU

oruvoice

On 3/7/2021 at 5:09 PM, Old Titan said:

In 1983, ORU swept a 2-game series from Texas at Johnson Stadium, with future MLB stars Roger Clemons, Calvin Schiraldi, Mike Capel, Mike Brumley, etc.  That Longhorns team went on to win the College World Series about a month later, finishing 66-14 for the year (crazy how many games used to be played per season back then).

I'm hard-pressed, though, to recall ORU ever taking a series on the road from a top-10 ranked SEC team.  That 2017 Alabama team that ORU swept in 3 games in Tuscaloosa was not ranked.

Fantastic job today:  great pitching, with timely (if not perfect) hitting and defense.

I was there in ‘83. I remember being irritated with the Texas fans who were sitting in “our” usual seats behind the third base dugout. We liked to sit there so we could see our guys and talk smack to their guys. Not to be dissuaded we sat behind the paying customers in their burnt orange and still talked trash to the Longhorns. It was a great two games. When I tell people about those games they don’t believe me. I tell them to look it up 😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

I was there in ‘83. I remember being irritated with the Texas fans who were sitting in “our” usual seats behind the third base dugout. We liked to sit there so we could see our guys and talk smack to their guys. Not to be dissuaded we sat behind the paying customers in their burnt orange and still talked trash to the Longhorns. It was a great two games. When I tell people about those games they don’t believe me. I tell them to look it up 😛

I was there also great game do you remember the slug fest with notre dame on speing break 82?

JMG and Otis, we had a bunch of guys in 1978 that would sit in those same seats and "talk smack" to the opposing players. Was the first year for JL Johnson Stadium. We would be there no matter how cold it was. That is the team that went to the College World Series with Springman, Volk, Bjorkman, Meredith, etc. They called us the "Wild Bunch" and appreciated the fact that we were so enthusiastic and would show up in late February and March, when hardly anyone else would. After the Titans' (at that time) played their last game at home, they invited us all down to their locker room and shared their post game meal with us and sang a victory song for us. What a memorable time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jmg1984 said:

I was there also great game do you remember the slug fest with notre dame on speing break 82?

I do. I went on a trip to NYC with 3 other business students and Dr Migliore. He took us to the Big East basketball tournament after our conference was over. Flew back to Tulsa and I stayed around for the Notre Dame series. 

Those sound like great times....TheEagleman was at ORU pre-JLGJ and we used to sit on the grass at the original baseball field and fans could not only see everything as there were no dugouts but we could hear all the back and forth from the players....I remember we were playing highly rated OU in a game on a nice spring day probably 1973  and the Sooners had their stud #1 starter Jackson Todd on the mound....i think he may have been drafted by the NY Mets very high a year or two later.....can't remember who pitched for us but I wanted to see Todd pitch and it was a wonderful pitchers' duel as I recall with our clean up hitter Buddy Slemp hitting a huge HR late to win the game I think 3-2 or 2-1 something like that.....wish we had JLJ but that wasn't built until after TheEagleman graduated in 1976....😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave said:

JMG and Otis, we had a bunch of guys in 1978 that would sit in those same seats and "talk smack" to the opposing players. Was the first year for JL Johnson Stadium. We would be there no matter how cold it was. That is the team that went to the College World Series with Springman, Volk, Bjorkman, Meredith, etc. They called us the "Wild Bunch" and appreciated the fact that we were so enthusiastic and would show up in late February and March, when hardly anyone else would. After the Titans' (at that time) played their last game at home, they invited us all down to their locker room and shared their post game meal with us and sang a victory song for us. What a memorable time. 

Thats awesome!