Coaching Carousel 2021

Old Titan

28 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

I realize that I'm in the vast minority, but this magical run was one possession away from never happening...several times. And, the season finishing in the conference tournament with a .500 record. 

I'm all for bumping him up a bit and maybe putting in some more carrots for hitting certain milestones, but I'd be cautious to unload the bank at this point. 

Now, if everyone comes back, we win the conference regular season, conference tourney, and 20+ wins, then get more aggressive with his salary, next off-season. That's just my $0.02.

Agree 100%,  the points made are the reality. Unfortunately, the old adage of 'it's not how many you win, it's when you win them" most likely applies here. In the right circumstances( a nationally televised sweet 16 run by a very compelling Cinderella)  coaches are hired on perception not necessarily reality (although coach Mills is clearly an excellent coach). Its very easy to get a fan base to accept a new coach who just had the run we did  

It's not the OU or TX job, but the jobs opened to fill them that Mills will be considered for. You cant blame a guy for at least listening to offers potentially 2-3x or more, his current salary, especially when he hasn't yet had the big payday.

I'm hoping the ORU admin is doing everything they can to keep coach as he is the key in my humble opinion to holding this entire very special group together, even if it means paying an amount above what they feel is coach's actual value.  As I'm sure Coach Mills, Max and KO are all having a lot people in their ears right now talking about things that sound very tempting! Coaching opportunities, potential NBA & overseas money are all very attractive. 

• Upvote 1

This run has highlighted excellent coaching decisions and significant player development, and has emphasized the solid recruiting by this staff as well.  It can be argued that Coach Mills caused both the Ohio State and FL coaches to adjust their game plans and player substitutions to try to offset what ORU was doing.  In other words, Coach Mills got in their head.

I agree that the last 5 games of the season were all played on the razor’s edge and as a result this run almost didn’t happen.  Nonetheless, the run did happen and it has highlighted many strengths of this team and coaching staff.  Couple that with the excellent fit that Coach Mills represents with the university and they are absolutely compelled to significantly increase his and his assistant coach’s salary levels to try and keep this momentum rolling.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

This run has highlighted some excellent coaching decisions, significant player development, and emphasized the solid recruiting by this staff as well.  It can be argued that Coach Mills caused both the Ohio State and FL coaches to adjust their game plans and player substitutions to try to offset what ORU was doing.  In other words, Coach Mills got in their head.

I agree that the last 5 games of the season were all played on the razor’s edge and as a result this run almost didn’t happen.  Nonetheless, the run did happen and it has highlighted many strengths of this team and coaching staff.  Couple that with the excellent fit that Coach Mills represents with the university and they are absolutely compelled to significantly increase his and his assistant coach’s salary levels to try and keep this momentum rolling.

So what is the significant increase you are willing to go to? He makes around $200k. I also agree the assistants deserve a raise. What is that amount? 

He did something that has never been done before in the Summit League tournament:  defeat three straight Dakota schools for the title.

He also did something else that has never been done before in the NCAA tournament:  advance to the Sweet Sixteen as a #15 Seed AND give their opponent everything they could handle in that third game (FGCU got blown out in their Sweet Sixteen game as a #15 Seed)

He should be rewarded NOW; then watch how much FUN next season's "victory lap" could be:  preseason recognition in the polls, unprecedented media coverage both locally and nationally, biggest crowds in years at the Mabee Center, and IF they can win 20+ games and the Summit League regular season title, the previously inconceivable possibility of an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament should they stumble in Sioux Falls.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, darrenj said:

So what is the significant increase you are willing to go to? He makes around $200k. I also agree the assistants deserve a raise. What is that amount? 

And, it takes donors forking over the cash. It's easy to say "pay the man", when you aren't writing a check...

19 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Agree 100%,  the points made are the reality. Unfortunately, the old adage of 'it's not how many you win, it's when you win them" most likely applies here. In the right circumstances( a nationally televised sweet 16 run by a very compelling Cinderella)  coaches are hired on perception not necessarily reality (although coach Mills is clearly an excellent coach). Its very easy to get a fan base to accept a new coach who just had the run we did  

It's not the OU or TX job, but the jobs opened to fill them that Mills will be considered for. You cant blame a guy for at least listening to offers potentially 2-3x or more, his current salary, especially when he hasn't yet had the big payday.

I'm hoping the ORU admin is doing everything they can to keep coach as he is the key in my humble opinion to holding this entire very special group together, even if it means paying an amount above what they feel is coach's actual value.  As I'm sure Coach Mills, Max and KO are all having a lot people in their ears right now talking about things that sound very tempting! Coaching opportunities, potential NBA & overseas money are all very attractive. 

I am trying to find a job that he realistically could get right now. One that is much better than the situation at ORU . Let's say Beard goes to Texas and they hire the coach at Abilene Christian to take his place. Mills isn't leaving for ACU is he? 

Maybe the N. TX job but how much better is that job. Maybe they would have paid $450,000 for him. Doesn't matter as they just gave their coach a raise to stay. That is a Conference USA job. 

I just think ORU is a good fit for him and nothing stands out as being a much better situation for him right now. 

15 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

He did something that has never been done before in the Summit League tournament:  defeat three straight Dakota schools for the title.

He also did something else that has never been done before in the NCAA tournament:  advance to the Sweet Sixteen as a #15 Seed AND give their opponent everything they could handle in that third game (FGCU got blown out in their Sweet Sixteen game as a #15 Seed)

He should be rewarded NOW; then watch how much FUN next season's "victory lap" could be:  preseason recognition in the polls, unprecedented media coverage both locally and nationally, biggest crowds in years at the Mabee Center, and IF they can win 20+ games and the Summit League regular season title, the previously inconceivable possibility of an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament should they stumble in Sioux Falls.

I think he should be rewarded for this season for sure! Just wondering what the reward will be.:)

I also don't think there is realistically a better spot out there for him for next year right now. IF all his players come back and he can get a transfer that can come in ready to play or 2 they will be a load for teams to play next year. 

He will have the leading scorer in college basketball coming back and tons of press and preseason recognition. That will be a great way to start the season.  

25 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

And, it takes donors forking over the cash. It's easy to say "pay the man", when you aren't writing a check...

Experience shows that schools that have highly visible success (FGCU as an example, Abilene Christian school Pres just said tourney made school $120 million overall) have huge increases in donations, ticket sales, merchandise sales, applications, etc.

Keeping Coach and key players would allow long term growth based on this success.

Hopefully this is the foundation for program rebuilding, not the pinnacle.

Pay the man!! it will be a huge long term seed planted that will pay dividends for years.     

2 hours ago, darrenj said:

I think he should be rewarded for this season for sure! Just wondering what the reward will be.:)

I think $400-to-$500K per annum for multiple years, with as many incentive bonuses as feasibly possible, makes sense.  30%-to-50% raises for his staff as well.  I sincerely doubt any of them are making very much; there might be a greater risk in losing them right now than Coach Mills.

I would like to think there is some way to quantify his contribution to the school's bottom line by the increase in donations and enrollment from the Sweet Sixteen run.

Have heard that applications are up substantially...Let’s hope contributions track the same. 

• Like 1

This is what one staffer said in an interview last week:

"Ana Reed works in the admissions office, and she said this week has been a bit busier than normal. She said there have been numerous new applications from around the world while those who previously applied have been checking on their admission status. "

I thought I read somewhere else that something like 200 new applications had come in recently.

After last week....TheEagleman is ready to come back for four more years.....😎

3 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

...with all his eligibility still intact! 🏀💪⛹️‍♂️🏆

I agree with what OT stated above.  Move Coach Mills' base salary to $450K - $500K, then add incentives such as $15K for winning the Summit, $25K for the opening round of the Big Dance, another $25K for the second round, $35K for the Sweet 16, $50K for the Elite 8, $75K for the Final 4, and an additional $100K for the National Championship.  In addition thereto there would be bonuses for NIT appearances, and also Radio/TV shows that are his.  By doing tihs you are offering a contract that could potentially yeild him a final payday of between $800K - $1 MM.  Of course to get all of that he has to hit incentives but it still is a decent contract.  This would put him on par with CUSA, MAC and SunBelt coaches.  Finally, I can tell you firsthand that the Athletic Department is hitting the donor list and has been seeing how much everyone will ante-up for next year.  Bottom line, his and his staffs' salaries all need raised, and raised substantially as in 35-50% increase if not more.

Curious how the notoriety of the Sweet Sixteen run and the decline in COVID cases in Oklahoma might translate into elevated basketball camp attendance this summer, traditionally an important supplement to assistant coach compensation.

So many unexpected benefits still to be derived from this historic chain of events, we won’t truly know the extent of the rewards for years to come. 

• Upvote 1

They can't come back lower than $400k with $50K raises for all his coaches. He probably will take another job after next year and then the school can go back to paying an up and comer $250K until they can prove they deserve more like Mills did. 

I'm in the "Pay The Man TODAY" camp. Don't wait until next year. He just set a precedent that we will want all of our coaches in the future to aspire too. 

16 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

I have been teaching online classes for ORU for awhile in Pennsylvania so it feels like I never left!

Hopefully, we'll get more online students, too!

I've had many online students are from all around the world!

• Upvote 1