Coaching Carousel 2021

Old Titan

I feel like ORU has a ready made replacement in Springmann if Mills takes another job.

A bigger chore might be keeping Max and KO on campus...I'm sure all the big boys are going to reach out to try and get them to transfer.

24 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I feel like ORU has a ready made replacement in Springmann if Mills takes another job.

A bigger chore might be keeping Max and KO on campus...I'm sure all the big boys are going to reach out to try and get them to transfer.

The Longhorn fans who DO want Mills keep mentioning Springmann as a package deal; he's very well thought-of down there for recruiting Kevin Durant.

I didn't realize until reading that one article how Springmann had been a candidate for some nice college jobs while on Rick Barnes' staff at Texas; he would apparently make an excellent candidate for the ORU position should Mills leave.

2 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:
I hope this is a good sign...

See, as resident pragmatist-bordering-on-pessimist, I was concerned when that tweet didn't mention anything about running it back again next year...

debbie downer GIF

So much for all those dominoes falling across the college basketball landscape?

Unless some college coaches leave to fill these NBA openings (lol).

17 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

So much for all those dominoes falling across the college basketball landscape?

Unless some college coaches leave to fill these NBA openings (lol).

If they dont get Beard from Tech i think they may hire  Ivey. Lots of alumni n ex players are putting their 2 cents in on hiring him.

Beard already makes almost $5 million. Cant pay him more than the football coach i wouldnt think!:) Supposedly Tech is offering him $ 6 million  a yr! Not sure about that one. 

Paul Mills on the "short list" radar of regional AD's one month ago:

Radar GIF

Paul Mills on the "short list" radar of regional AD's after this weekend:

hurricane ike GIF

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if (the) one of those "power-conf programs w/ openings" was Texas? 

No way OSU was going to allow Boynton (with Texas ties through his time at Stephen F. Austin) go down to Austin and proceed to kick their butt for the next decade...

31 minutes ago, Old Titan said:
I wonder if (the) one of those "power-conf programs w/ openings" was Texas? 

No way OSU was going to allow Boynton (with Texas ties through his time at Stephen F. Austin) go down to Austin and proceed to kick their butt for the next decade...

I think TX is all in on Beard. We will know soon as Thursday is the day his buyout drops. If he doesn't come to a new agreement before that he is gone. Tech is offering $ 6 million per year supposedly and i don't think Tx will go that high. 

That is a fair contract for Boynton as not too much but locks him up for awhile. Also, helps him recruiting. He is going to need a couple of transfers for next season. Or another brother he can hire!:)

• Like 1

from Haisten in the TW... (also a good discussion of the coaching status of all the in state schools in the video at the link)

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/osu/bill-haisten-within-a-flurry-of-movement-a-raise-for-mike-boynton-and-soon-for/article_719cb402-90d6-11eb-855c-9baba44183b6.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

During a span of 10 days, Max Abmas, Kevin Obanor and Mills were noticed and discussed by everyone in the basketball world. Unless Abmas and Obanor dive into the transfer portal or choose a jump to pro basketball, they return next season. I’m told to expect impressive results from Mills’ current recruiting efforts.

Within a span of 35 days in 2017, OSU and ORU rolled the dice on new head basketball coaches who had no head-coaching experience. Today, within their respective fan bases, each man has an extremely high approval rating.

As Boynton gets a big money bump and the security of a seven-year extension of his relationship with Oklahoma State, Mills appears to be on the brink of a very nice “thank you” gesture from ORU.

UNT extends contracts of McCasland, Mitchell after successful campaigns

The Denton Record-Chronicle obtained UNT’s new contracts with McCasland and Mitchell on Monday.

McCasland’s extension includes a $50,000 boost to his base salary, an increase of $25,000 in his annual retention bonus and a one-time $25,000 bonus for signing the deal.

McCasland, who is 79-51 in four seasons at UNT, will now make $550,000 in base salary with guaranteed incentives that will push the total value of the deal past $760,000 annually.

McCasland is more excited about what UNT has done to bolster the program’s foundation beyond his contract, including renovating its locker room, team room and training room.

“Wren has a great plan of how to grow a program,” McCasland said. “It’s not just about compensating the head coach. It’s about the program. That is a bigger priority to me. If our program is in the right place, we will be successful, which will benefit everybody.”...

...McCasland’s extended family lives in the Denton area, which helped make him feel comfortable signing a new contract with UNT.

“Everyone lives within 45 minutes of the Super Pit,” McCasland said. “We always wanted it to be about family. Our players’ and coaches’ families are part of it.”...

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

So Mills makes around $200k right now. Would $300k do it? Or $400k? An xtra $25K per assistant.  I can't imagine them going over that for him. 

Say he is looking around where is the landing spot for him? No Big 12 team. Are their any Conference USA teams looking? Missouri Valley. Just don't see a better spot for him available. 

If he can keep all the guys coming back next year and maybe add a transfer or 2 they will be top 2 in the league going into next year. Lots of excitement going into it. Much better spot than Tulsa is in right now!:) 

Now if they could get the conference tournament to actually not be in the Dakota's every year!:)

On 3/26/2021 at 12:19 PM, ORU40 said:

It usually doesn't happen that way, unless you take an underdog mid-major deep into the NCAA tourney. Andy Enfield was as at FGCU(which had or has, no where near ORU's pedigree or schedule, etc.) two years total and went 15-17 his first year in the Atlantic Sun Conference, then took a #15 seed to the sweet 16 and was hired by USC in the Pac 12. The recognition and excitement with a nationally publicized tourney run makes hiring a candidate from a mid- major very easy for AD's and university presidents.   

Hopefully, ORU's #1 priority right now is locking up coach Mills because he is currently a white hot commodity!! 

I realize that I'm in the vast minority, but this magical run was one possession away from never happening...several times. And, the season finishing in the conference tournament with a .500 record. 

I'm all for bumping him up a bit and maybe putting in some more carrots for hitting certain milestones, but I'd be cautious to unload the bank at this point. 

Now, if everyone comes back, we win the conference regular season, conference tourney, and 20+ wins, then get more aggressive with his salary, next off-season. That's just my $0.02.

• Upvote 1