Coaching Carousel 2021

Old Titan

40 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Smart is leaving Texas for Marquette.  So both OU and Texas have openings.  Not saying he would get either one but I would think that Mills would be on both teams short list (top 3-5) for the head coaching position.

That would be a very big jump for him. Past the Missouri Valley type or even like Tulsa jump. Doesn't usually happen like that. 

42 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Smart is leaving Texas for Marquette.  So both OU and Texas have openings.  Not saying he would get either one but I would think that Mills would be on both teams short list (top 3-5) for the head coaching position.

What ORU needs to worry about is the openings those jobs will create. I hope the administration is ready to work to keep Mills and his staff!

5 minutes ago, darrenj said:

That would be a very big jump for him. Past the Missouri Valley type or even like Tulsa jump. Doesn't usually happen like that. 

Correct. Especially a coach with a sub .500 record. 

17 minutes ago, darrenj said:

It usually doesn't happen that way, unless you take an underdog mid-major deep into the NCAA tourney. Andy Enfield was as at FGCU(which had or has, no where near ORU's pedigree or schedule, etc.) two years total and went 15-17 his first year in the Atlantic Sun Conference, then took a #15 seed to the sweet 16 and was hired by USC in the Pac 12. The recognition and excitement with a nationally publicized tourney run makes hiring a candidate from a mid- major very easy for AD's and university presidents.   

Hopefully, ORU's #1 priority right now is locking up coach Mills because he is currently a white hot commodity!! 

• Upvote 1

I'm happy for Paul Mills. 

Not only does he get his bonus for hitting several big incentives this year, he will get a nice bump in salary for himself and his coaches!

Listening to the interview he did on Gottlieb's podcast, coach made it clear that he took a pay cut to come to ORU. He said when Jerome Tang turned it down for the money, he was ready to take the offer. His gamble is about to payoff big time!

Congratulations, Coach Mills!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Coach Mills needs to strike while the iron is hot.  Ask Scott Sutton about not leaving when he had the opportunities w/ Caleb Green and Ken Tutt. 

He will have certainly left the program in better shape than he found it if he chooses to take another job.....(anywhere but TU please)

• Upvote 1

Reports are that TU extended Haith’s contract. They also have had multiple players enter the transfer portal. 

Have not seen this posted; Stanley Umude from South Dakota has entered the transfer portal. North Dakota has lost four players so far - including three starters. 

4 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Reports are that TU extended Haith’s contract. They also have had multiple players enter the transfer portal. 

Yes they have. https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/tu/tu-coach-frank-haith-receives-contract-extension/article_9b856356-8e81-11eb-bccf-2f2a241b149a.html#tracking-source=home-breaking 

Not sure what everyone thinks but this transfer portal has just gotten out of hand.  Already over 900 players are planning on transferring and the season still has 15 games to go.  Would not be surprised if it is around 14-1500 by the time the deadline to transfer ends.  Just seems bad for college basketball.  Not sure what the answer is but something has to change.  Some of these players transfer every year.  Any thoughts?

25 minutes ago, titansforever said:

you love to see it....they really deserve this down at 11th and Harvard.....congrats!!!!

7 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

you love to see it....they really deserve this down at 11th and Harvard.....congrats!!!!

kobe bryant laughing GIF

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, titansforever said:

It is understandable... Any time you have the chance to extend a coach that can recruit and develop like Haith can, you gotta do it. 😆

50 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Not sure what everyone thinks but this transfer portal has just gotten out of hand.  Already over 900 players are planning on transferring and the season still has 15 games to go.  Would not be surprised if it is around 14-1500 by the time the deadline to transfer ends.  Just seems bad for college basketball.  Not sure what the answer is but something has to change.  Some of these players transfer every year.  Any thoughts?

I have no issue with it. Players should not feel locked into a decision they made at 18 years old when coaches can leave at any time.

I'm sure Mike Carter and his team are pouring over the numbers to be ready to extend Mills' contract with a raise as soon as he steps off the floor for the last time this season.  Heck they may have already done it early this week. Will it be enough? I guess we'll find out soon!

And now begins "The Great Wait" re: ORU Basketball, as we anxiously scour social media for each tidbit re: current coaching vacancies and the transfer portal.

I'm not that concerned about Paul Mills going to Oklahoma, or Texas, or Indiana, or Kansas if it opens in a month or so.

I'm more than a little concerned about him getting interviewed for the job of the guy(s) who get(s) any of those gigs.

As for Max and Kevin?  So many factors involved in those sorts of decisions; here's hoping they both really like their teammates, their instructors, and if they do have girlfriends, they're on campus...