Coaching Carousel 2021

Old Titan

10 minutes ago, darrenj said:

But they think they have a chance at Mosher from Loyola-Chicago.:) 

Mosher makes about $1 million a year and has reportedly turned down UNLV and St John’s. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-porter-moser-loyola-st-johns-20190416-story.html%3FoutputType%3Damp

1 minute ago, EagleManiac said:

The guys on the TU board are sounding like Haith's extension is a done deal. Hasn't been confirmed but I would imagine they know somehow.  

Yep - those TU posters are pretty dialed in.  They were definitely correct in stating that ORU and TU recruit in different circles... with ORU's Sweet Sixteen run, TU won't get anywhere close to recruiting in ORU's pool!  🤣

• Haha 2

TU would be lucky to get Tang. From what I hear, he is the force behind recruiting Baylor's talent. 

I'd rather them keep Haith though. 🤣

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

TU would be lucky to get Tang. From what I hear, he is the force behind recruiting Baylor's talent. 

If Scott Drew gets Indiana, wouldn't Tang get Baylor?

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

If Scott Drew gets Indiana, wouldn't Tang get Baylor?

I would think so. I don't know why I hadn't put that together until now... but with the Drews being an Indiana basketball family do you think IU would offer Scott Drew?

Why would Scott Drew leave Baylor for Indiana?  Indiana hasn’t been a force in college basketball for quite a while, but their expectations will still be totally unrealistic.  No thanks.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Keeping up with the summit league, Freshman PG Ihenacho from North Dakota has entered the transfer portal and 4 players from UMKC  (Mckissic, Kamgain, Williams, and Pitts) virtually everone besides their big man. Wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer out next.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the carousel....i also don't see Scott Drew leaving Baylor......he will be to Baylor what Homer Drew was to Valpo

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I would think so. I don't know why I hadn't put that together until now... but with the Drews being an Indiana basketball family do you think IU would offer Scott Drew?

I think they are wanting to talk to someone still in the Sweet Sixteen:  Porter Moser from Loyola, Eric Musselmann from Arkansas, Scott Drew, maybe even Greg McDermott from Creighton?  Considering the ego of Hoosier Nation, they probably think they can pry Mark Few from Gonzaga, which is laughable.

This sort of thing used to get worked out at the Final Four during the NABC coaches' convention, which is like the pilgrimage to Mecca for college basketball coaches.  AD's and search firms would formally and/or informally interview prospective coaches in secure meeting rooms at out-of-the way hotels or the host city airport. 

Not sure you go about doing it now in a COVID world; probably a LOT of Facetime calls and Zoom meetings.

• Upvote 1

I hope OU looks for someone from the PAC 12 or BIg East - and not from Texas (UNT).... I don't want dominoes to fall the wrong way

15 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Why would Scott Drew leave Baylor for Indiana?  Indiana hasn’t been a force in college basketball for quite a while, but their expectations will still be totally unrealistic.  No thanks.

Unless Indiana is willing to back up the Brinks truck I don’t see them getting the top two on that list. According to USAToday IU owes Archie $10 million. Chris Beard makes $5 million at Tech and has a $15 million buy out. Miller and Scott Drew have nearly identical salaries so you would think they would need to pony up more to get Scott to move.

I know that Indiana has a storied history but Indiana roots aside what can they offer Scott Drew?  He’s well paid.  He can attract the talent he needs to be a top tier program. The expectations of Baylor basketball fans are more reasonable than IU. So what’s not to love about that situation? Plus I think Baylors Baptist roots and association mean something to him. 

IU would be better off looking at John Beilein or Brad Stevens if he’s tired of the NBA. 

8 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Unless Indiana is willing to back up the Brinks truck I don’t see them getting the top two on that list. According to USAToday IU owes Archie $10 million. Chris Beard makes $5 million at Tech and has a $15 million buy out. Miller and Scott Drew have nearly identical salaries so you would think they would need to pony up more to get Scott to move.

I know that Indiana has a storied history but Indiana roots aside what can they offer Scott Drew?  He’s well paid.  He can attract the talent he needs to be a top tier program. The expectations of Baylor basketball fans are more reasonable than IU. So what’s not to love about that situation? Plus I think Baylors Baptist roots and association mean something to him. 

IU would be better off looking at John Beilein or Brad Stevens if he’s tired of the NBA. 

Chris Beard's buyout goes down to $4 million on 04/01/2021. IU is putting on the full court press on him. It will be interesting if he takes that or if TX opens up soon. 

2 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Scott Drew is an Indiana boy; his family is Indiana basketball royalty. 

He could command something a lot of coaches who have taken the IU job could not:  grassroots cred.

And, I can't imagine his basketball dreams (at some point in his life) not somehow revolving around being a part of Indiana Hoosier basketball.

Sometimes, things like that matter more than money...

UND's Filip Rebraca becomes third starter this week to seek transfer

The national trend of players flooding the NCAA Transfer Portal has hit the UND men's basketball program hard this week.

In the latest exit for the Fighting Hawks, UND leading scorer Filip Rebraca will graduate this summer and seek a transfer, UND and Rebraca announced Thursday.

"Filip has done an outstanding job of representing the University of North Dakota as a student-athlete in our basketball program," UND coach Paul Sather said in a statement. "We wish him well as he pursues his academic and athletic goals upon his graduation this summer with a degree in Economics. Filip has a bright future ahead of him and we wish him the best. He's a Hawk for life."

Rebraca becomes the third starter for the Fighting Hawks this week to announce departure. Starters Tyree Ihenacho and Seybian Sims and reserve Nate Shockey are currently in the transfer portal.

Ihenacho was the Summit League Freshman of the Year.

Rebraca, a 6-foot-9 post from Serbia, was a second-team all-Summit League pick during the 2020-21 season.

Rebraca, who averaged 17.2 points per game this past season, spent three years at UND. He has 1,121 career points for the Fighting Hawks.

"UND gave me the greatest gif I could have asked for," Rebraca said in a statement. I have grown so much as a student, an athlete and more importantly a person. I am eternally thankful for the people that have helped me along my journey."

Rebraca isn't currently in the transfer portal. As of Thursday evening, the portal included 881 Division I men's basketball players. Since March 1, 691 players have entered the portal.

At least 30 players on Summit League rosters from last season are in the portal.

Smart is leaving Texas for Marquette.  So both OU and Texas have openings.  Not saying he would get either one but I would think that Mills would be on both teams short list (top 3-5) for the head coaching position.