Coaching Carousel 2021

Old Titan

Denver should be at the top of the league every year. Surprised Billups lasted as long as he did. 

Denver lost a lot of close games in the Summit League this year.  You had to figure this was coming.  It always looks bad for the one HC who doesn’t make the tournament.

Finishing out of the running for Sioux Falls in the 9-team Summit League should be a termination-worthy offense "for cause".

Possible candidates might include NDSU assistant Kyan Brown or OSU volunteer assistant Barry Hinson.  I kinda doubt Scott or Sean Sutton would leave their current assistant coaching roles for a low-major job.

Barry Hinson and Kyan Brown would each be good candidates depending on what Denver wants.  Barry Hinson was a successful head coach with a lot of experience and I would guess he would jump at the chance to coach again.

Saw today that Robert Jones, Sam Hines Jr and, Jase Townsend will all transfer from Denver. 

41 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Saw today that Robert Jones, Sam Hines Jr and, Jase Townsend will all transfer from Denver. 

Yeah that happened last year at Western Illinois when they fired their coach and then had to bring in 12 new players this season.  It helped them to completely start over and move up to the 7 seed in the tournament this year from missing it in 2020.

Now Omaha's top scorer, Marlon Ruffin (13 a game) is transfering.  Wonder if Omaha is looking to make some changes after a 5-20 record this season.  May be quite a few coaching changes and player transfers in the Summit League this offseason.

I wonder if any of those guys would consider ORU?

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping up with the summit league, Freshman PG Ihenacho from North Dakota has entered the transfer portal and 4 players from UMKC  (Mckissic, Kamgain, Williams, and Pitts) virtually everone besides their big man. Wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer out next.

Per the TU board, it sounds like Haith is going to get an extension, while most on their board were hoping for a termination. They are not happy campers over there. LOL. 

• Haha 1

CBS Sports Coaching Changes Tracker

It seems like the majority of openings so far have gone to assistants so additional coaching positions aren't opening up:

Minnesota: Xavier assistant Ben Johnson

Wichita St.: Isaac Brown (WSU Assistant)

Penn St.: Purdue assistant Micah Shrewsberry

UNLV: Kevin Kruger (UNLV Assistant)

Indiana St.: Josh Schertz (D2)

George Mason: Tennessee assistant Kim English

2 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

TU should hire jerome tang If they part ways w/haith

Just now, ORUTerry said:

They can’t afford him - and he wouldn’t go there. 

Yeah, I think the only job Coach Tang would leave for is P5 opening. He's an Associate HC at a pretty successful program.

You just wonder what he is waiting for ? How much does he make? Max out maybe $300K  i would think. 

Would not be a bad hire for Tulsa. Worth the chance. But they think they have a chance at Mosher from Loyola-Chicago.:) 

2 minutes ago, darrenj said:

You just wonder what he is waiting for ? How much does he make? Max out maybe $300K  i would think. 

Would not be a bad hire for Tulsa. Worth the chance. But they think they have a chance at Mosher from Loyola-Chicago.:) 

W/sutton's buyout ORU could not meet his number, gotta think TU could easily.  Haith makes 1.3 mil per the TW article a few weeks ago w/1 year remaining.  So they gotta extend or cut him loose pretty soon. Can't recruit on final year of contract.

The guys on the TU board are sounding like Haith's extension is a done deal. Hasn't been confirmed but I would imagine they know somehow.