Game 2: Western Illinois

Keenan Henderson

4 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Being the last game of a long (and strange) regular season, this game has all the makings of a powder-keg ready to explode.

Bingo:  just had a skirmish during a Western Illinois offensive possession involving Abmas and a Leatherneck getting tangled up in the lane, followed by pushing and a hard retaliation shove from Obanor.  Refs are reviewing it...

The results of the skirmish:

• Abmas with a personal foul for the hold in the lane.
  • Off-setting technicals on Pearson of WIU and Obanor of ORU for the shoves.
  • Shot clock violation on WIU on the end of the possession.
  • Technical foul on WIU for throwing the ball at Jurgens after the shot clock violation.

Stay tuned...

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Bingo:  just had a skirmish during a Western Illinois offensive possession involving Abmas and a Leatherneck getting tangled up in the lane, followed by pushing and a hard retaliation shove from Obanor.  Refs are reviewing it...

This game is now a moot point: ORU is destined for a 4th-place finish as NDSU is destroying an AJ Plitzuweit-less USD team in Vermillion, meaning the following:

1. SDSU
  2. USD
  3. NDSU
  4. ORU
  5. UND
  6. UMKC
  7. WIU
  8. Omaha

I would like to see Abmas come back in and score a few more points. Garza scored 24 points today and has two more games this week. 

We had to turn it off with eight minutes remaining. Between way too many fouls been called, the broadcast clicking off every 60 seconds, and the PA announcer screaming whose ball it was… It was just more than I could take!

• Upvote 2

Upon further review:  I would swear that's actually John Yorkovich calling today's game, not his son (though yesterday's box score says son Bradley called that game).

Maybe they're splitting duty this weekend; staying in the same room at the Southern Hills Marriott...who knows?

It looked like shirts and skins at the local Y in the second half!  Good to see everyone play and score a basket.  Western Illinois could not stop Max so they sent their big 6'10 guy to take him out.  Jamie Bergens showed some life, scoring nine points in the second half.  Did you watch the end and Senior night?  Looks like RJ is still on crutches and will miss the Summit League Tournament.  Hopefully, he will return next year.

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Thanks for posting this, was so confused when it happened live. Obanor stepping in probably saved Max a bit there.

I think we saw at the end of the game there why Clover is maybe not quite ready for a ton of minutes - he's just not ready. But man he is a strong defensive presence and alters a lot of shots. Would like to see a few more minutes from him to give Obanor a bit of relief, or maybe even play the two together. 

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Upon further review:  I would swear that's actually John Yorkovich calling today's game, not his son (though yesterday's box score says son Bradley called that game).

Maybe they're splitting duty this weekend; staying in the same room at the Southern Hills Marriott...who knows?

According to the box score, that was in fact John Yorkovich who called today's game. 

No wonder there were so many fouls, technicals a'plenty, and basically no flow to the game at all.

He truly is one of the worst college officials I've suffered through in over 4 decades of watching ORU basketball.

2 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

I think we saw at the end of the game there why Clover is maybe not quite ready for a ton of minutes - he's just not ready. But man he is a strong defensive presence and alters a lot of shots. Would like to see a few more minutes from him to give Obanor a bit of relief, or maybe even play the two together.

It's really strange:  he's not particularly explosive, doesn't run the floor well, and he has skillets for hands.  But, he's got great footwork under and around the basket, and he's an absolute load physically. 

Will be interesting to see if he can improve his weaknesses in the coming seasons (he's still got four left after this one).

5 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I'm guessing Kevin Obanor's stock just rose a couple of notches in the eyes of his teammates in general and Max Abmas in particular for his quick protective reaction.  Every team needs an enforcer!

And, I gotta hand it to ORU coach Paul Mills for running the length of the floor and inserting himself right into the fray; frankly not something I would have expected.  That will also score points with the team; good for him!