Game 2: Western Illinois

Keenan Henderson

ORU finally played some defense at the end of game 1 and pulled out a last minute win.  Does Max have to score 40 for the Eagles to win again?  Let's finish the regular season strong with another home win.

I think Mid court Max will have to have another big game for us to secure a W.

Other than KO we don't have an inside game so that leaves our chances up to our perimeter shooting.  Max is our best and most consistent scoring threat.  As the Eagles have proven all season it is hard to win consistently when you are one dimensional! Not to mention our defense is lacking.  So grab your defibrillator....you probably will need it again today!

Good Guys stole that one last night trailing all game then making an 18-4 run in the final 5 minutes....today its ORU -9 and O/U is 163.5....cant expect Max to go for anorher 40 can we? This is likely another close high scoring game...not really much at stake since we are gonna match up vs. UND or UMKC next weekend....its the final home game of the season....TheEagleman doesnt trust this team.....WIU 89 ORU 87. 🏀😬🏀

Would be surprised if Western hits 16 threes again, they only average 7 a game.  They were hitting contested threes too!  Max is just at another level now.  He can do it all: hit threes, drive to the basket, and shoot the 10-12 (mid range) floaters!  He leads the nation in scoring now.  

You convinced me, Keenan....Good Guys should whip up on this team....its Senior Night, right?....ORU 92 WIU 75....😁🏀😁

Western Illinois played a physical game yesterday and it could have started to wear down Obanor but he pushed through.  He is being asked to do a lot on both sides of the ball and should be commended for his efforts.  

I felt yesterday just watching the game that he did not have one of his better games offensively but then you look at the stat sheet and he scored 20 points with a double-double.  We have 2 really special players on the team this year (Max and Kevin).

I am enjoying ORU having a winning record this year overall and in conference play, and having a team that will finish in the top 3-4 in the Summit.  It feels like it has been awhile since ORU has had some success.  I am happy for the team and the coaching staff that their efforts are being rewarded with some progress.

I saw ORU players making good defensive effort, including Kevin.  When Standridge heated up from 3 point range, and they were using a player to screen him open on 3 point shots, Max would cover him on one side of the screen and Kevin would come all the way out to the 3 point line to cover him on the other side of the screen and then would have to hurry back all the way under the basket to cover his man as well.  Then he was having to defend low post players who outweighed him by 30+ pounds (my best guess) without drawing fouls and usually without a double team to help him out.

Juergens played well and Stevens really stepped up in the minutes that he played.  It is good to see that Stevens is growing in his confidence and Coach Mills stuck with him even after he missed his first shot or two.  Then he warmed up a little bit and got into a groove.

I think Western Illinois also got away from their post scoring approach in the 2nd half and that took some heat off of ORU.  I doubt Western shoots over 50% from 3 point range today, so I think ORU has a good shot to win by 5-10 points or so.

It will be very interesting to see how the teams respond today, especially having to endure the same officiating crew as in game one.  I didn't see the whole game yesterday, but the zebras were pretty brutal (and inconsistent) in the portion of the game I was able to view.  Being the last game of a long (and strange) regular season, this game has all the makings of a powder-keg ready to explode.

I agree that WIU is unlikely to drain as many threes today, which should swing the tide towards ORU.  But, I still question whether the Eagles will cover the 8.5 spread.

Fast start on offense for ORU, 22-8 good guys at the first media timeout.  Jurgens particularly aggressive; really blossoming in Glaspar's absence.

Technical issues that plagued yesterday's video stream are just as bad today; luckily this is the last ORU production of the season.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

It will be very interesting to see how the teams respond today, especially having to endure the same officiating crew as in game one.  I didn't see the whole game yesterday, but the zebras were pretty brutal (and inconsistent) in the portion of the game I was able to view.

Here's a clue:  the portly older ref with the televangelist hair is Frank Spencer, a long-time Mid-Con and Summit League ref who's best days are behind him (he can't run anymore).

And the young blonde-headed ref who looks vaguely familiar is none other than Bradley Yorkovich, the son of infamous Golden Eagle nemesis John Yorkovich.

I think in legal terms on Law and Order his work product may fall under the category of "fruit from the poisonous tree"... 😉

• Haha 1

Looks like TheEagleman will owe Keenan a 🍺...i took ORU and Over....Good Guys kicking butt at half 54-31...Max has 24. 😁

A very complete half for ORU, leading by 23!  Western looks like a shell of what we saw in Game 1.  They may have been disappointed after losing that ten point lead at the end of yesterday's game.  Max on his way to Summit League Player of the Year!  Sounds good Eagleman

Yorkovich Jr??? 😮💀😵

• Haha 1

Incredible first half for Abmas and the Eagles, as Max eclipses his full-game average of 24 in the first half (with 25) - and ORU is running away with it 54-31.  Throw out a couple of scoreless droughts of a couple minutes, and this is the best half ORU has played this year.

And the ORUSN production has improved in the last few minutes as well - here's hoping that they discovered the issue.

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Here's a clue:  the portly older ref with the televangelist hair is Frank Spencer, a long-time Mid-Con and Summit League ref who's best days are behind him (he can't run anymore).

And, if I remember correctly, Frank's best days weren't all that good...

1 minute ago, TrueBlue82 said:

And the ORUSN production has improved in the last few minutes as well - here's hoping that they discovered the issue.

True dat - maybe somebody pumped some more quarters in the meter for a boost in bandwidth!

And, if I remember correctly, Frank's best days weren't all that good...

^^^^^ This.

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

True dat - maybe somebody pumped some more quarters in the meter for a boost in bandwidth!

Or... maybe not... the glitches are back. 😬

Or... maybe not... the glitches are back. 😬

Blazing Saddles GIF

"ANYBODY GOT ANY DIMES??  SOMEBODY RIDE BACK TO TOWN AND GET A S***LOAD OF DIMES!!"